Home > Forum

Poll

Is there an efi 2 stroke dirt bike?

no option
1 (100%)
no option
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: EFI two strokes?  (Read 2904 times)

Offline YZ250

• Junior
  • I'll live forever, or die trying!
    • View Profile
EFI two strokes?
« on: March 07, 2010, 04:49:34 AM »
there' all this talk about 2 strokes being fuel injected, but is there acutally gonna be a motocross bike with efi? so far all the talk is about the road bikes and 500's and stuff but i'd like to know if there is any thought towards the dirt bikes. I've seen articles about a ktm 250 efi but is that really going to happen? Also, if 2 smokers are less complicated in everything (weight, engine, etc.) then why is it so difficult to get efi on them? why hasn't it happened yet? They say that an efi 250 2 stroke would be lighter, faster, torquier, more fuel efficient and have less emissions, and they are cheaper by far, so why aren't they scrambling to get it done? It just doesn't make sense...

Offline YZ250

• Junior
  • I'll live forever, or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: EFI two strokes?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:51:15 AM »
sorry i clicked create new poll instead of new topic. so this is actually a question instead of a poll.

Offline Chris2T

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 01:42:42 PM »
we had a lot of talk about this on an earlier thread with the word "DFI" in the title. We think it comes down to the fact that since the direct-injection technology is so new, the patents are expensive to license, whereas the existing 2stroke and 4 stroke technology's patents have all expired 50+ years ago. BUT, price not withstanding, it's just a matter of time. Look at Ski-doo snowmobiles. They have two Rotax 2 stroke engines which feature state-of-the-art electronic fuel injection, the 600 and 800 etec models. I have a feeling if the economy was in better shape we might see these engines in a motocross bike.

Offline meger z

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 02:00:40 AM »
ktm use Rotax motors iv been told.Dont they make the motor for the snowmobile as well? Not the biggest leap for ktm to put one in their bikes.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 06:04:00 AM »
The biggest obstacle to this technology showing up on motocross machines, is the business plan of the big 4. Plain and simple, they want the four-strokes to succeed.

Think about it, if they released a DFI machine that was better in all those aspects mentioned above, they would be cutting huge chunks out of their four-stroke sales.

It's better and easier for them to convince everyone that two-strokes are done and that those that do want them are just nostalgic about the old days...

Funny... that's exactly what they are doing....

KTM has been the one manufacturer that has been trying to push the DFI/EFI two-stroke since the early 2000's. From second hand information, KTM already has injected (not sure EFI or DFI) that they have tested for almost two years...

My guess is that once the patent on the DFI is "relaxed" that we will see machines with this technology out on the race track. I've heard rumors that 2010 is the last year of the patent... anyone know for sure??

Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!