Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 490 Maico First-Timer  (Read 9570 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
490 Maico First-Timer
« on: May 02, 2010, 08:43:20 PM »
Sorry, Opferman if you were waiting to post this, but I just had to share your video as soon as I saw it.  This, ladies and gentlemen, is why no one can shut up about 490s.

Trask - Ankur Rides the 1982 Maico 490

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: 490 Maico First-Timer
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 09:53:39 PM »
Maybe he needs to get a PW80 instead. LOL
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:11:31 PM »
What happened? Were they testing the camera?  :-*
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 01:54:56 PM »
Talking about cameras, does anyone know of a good helmet cam that records good sound.
I was going to get a Vholdr but the reports are all they record is massive wind noise.
I want to record my rides with decent audio so i can hear that big TM scream.
Cheers for any advice.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 02:35:49 PM »
Gopro seems to be about as good as any though you do get noise when branches and such wack it.Maybe if you did what they do on regular mics when in windy condition-like a piece of air filter foam over the mic inlet.Worth a shot anyway.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 02:37:39 PM »
Where was the guy riding the Maico?It seemed after he "broke down" alongside the road we didn't see him until the end. :o ;D
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 03:28:06 PM »
My recommendation for a camera would be a ContourHD, and then get an independent mic to get your sound.  The GoPro is a good unit, but I personally don't like that wacky make-the-earth-look-like-it's-half-a-mile-across lens.  And if I recall correctly, you either have to buy the standard GoPro or get the full-on mega 1080p monster camera of death.  They also tend to look a little goofy compared with the sleek ContourHD.  With the Contour, you can get a much cheaper 720p option, or go all the way to 1080p.  I don't know how much an independent mic would cost, but it's something to consider.  I haven't done any riding with my 720p ContourHD, so I can't say just how bad the audio is (I know it's WAY better than the original VholdR).  We'll just have to see.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the video above was filmed with a VIO POV.1, which is very nice in that you have a preview screen and all that, but there is a cable to deal with, and they're extremely expensive given that the ContourHD is half the price and twice the resolution.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Rota Ash

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 04:01:11 PM »
beside's someone raving about how much power the bike had, the vid did not show the bike going hard once

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 05:08:33 PM »
That wasn't the point.  We're not trying to show that the Maico 490 is teh ultimate demonz at motocross!!1! but that it's a FUN bike that makes a powerful instant impression on those who experience it.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 10:57:23 PM »
Haha, ya, he's not doing motocross and this wasn't a race track, it's just trail riding and he's trying the bike out.  I had a helmate cam and he went and he rode the bike by himself I didn't have to hold him and I wasn't filming him riding!  He didn't break down at the front, he was turning around, he was a bit scared of the bike at first I think and the bike is a bit tall so prolly why he got off.

To put into some context, he just test rode a 2001 CR500 and the day before a 1998 KX500 and his normal ride is a 1990 YZ250.  Needless to say he was most impressed with the Maico and actually didn't like the CR.  He is buying the KX though, Maico is out of his price range. 

When I ask him about the KTM, he rode my KTM 495 before.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 08:41:20 AM by opfermanmotors »
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 10:59:51 PM »
Yup POV .1 helmate camera, there are pros and cons to all the cameras.  I got it a year before the Contour HD came out.  The POV .1 takes AA batteries and they last all day riding.  The Countour has a special battery and the charge isnt as long.  The POV .1 has a cable and the Contour does not.  The Contour HD has higher resolution than the POV .1 but the POV .1 has quite good resolution, of course the higher the resolution the more space the files start to take.
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 11:33:37 PM »
I'm not a big fan of huge resolution, myself.  When I use my camera, I'm going to keep it on the lower-res setting.  Not only does that double the time you can spend filming, but the Contour records at 60fps at that setting, which means I'll be able to do good slow-mo if I need to.  It also means a narrower FOV, which I like because... well I just don't like big fish-eye videos.  Really looking forward to getting this bad boy mounted (so to speak.)

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 01:26:59 PM »
When you say the POV has a cable ,do you mean for a Mic ?

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 06:52:57 PM »
It's a two-part unit.  The main unit has your controls, preview screen, storage, batteries, etc.  You carry that in a backpack or fanny pack or, if you're too practical for your own good, a flight vest.  That's connected by a cable to the camera itself which is mounted on your helmet.  I believe the mic is in the main unit, but I'm not totally sure on that.

http://helmetcameracentral.com/2007/09/26/the-holy-grail-of-helmet-cams-the-new-vio-pov1-integrated-video-system/

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Rota Ash

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 11:58:25 PM »
they are some big bike's that you guys are talking about!!! i guess its all about power to weight ratio.... maybe a diet would be a good upgrade for u guys ?  :P