Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Husky wide open!! I love it!  (Read 8437 times)

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
Husky wide open!! I love it!
« on: April 24, 2010, 02:50:17 PM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 09:38:47 PM by 2smoker »
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline admiral

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Husky wide open!! I love it!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 06:27:03 AM »
i am hoping that Husky comes out with an updated 250/300 cc engine platform to compete with KTM. i really want a modern CR250 motocrosser for my next bike.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 01:27:42 PM »
I'm looking forward to Husky really pulling themselves back up into something like limelight under BMW management.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 03:42:05 PM »
I've heard it said that the modern WR300 is the fastest production 300 you can get, pretty keen to try one.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 09:35:27 PM »
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 10:08:03 PM »
well, you and i know how good the TM motor is ay TMKIWI.
I'm pretty keen for a go on one of those husky 300's, i've heard they're faster

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 10:33:06 PM »
Would never say no to a ride on any of the new 300s.
At least the Husky has a style all of its own.

Would love to see one of the euro companies bring out a 320-380 bike.

I know Maico is but no one has riden one yet.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 12:35:23 PM »
I'm a proud owner of a 2008 KTM-300xc and I read a recent test in one of the dirtbike magazines and it clearly stated that in testing the KTM,GasGas and Husky 300 that the Husqvarna-300wr is by far the fastest of the three bikes and it could easily run down any stock 450 MX 4-stroke!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 07:39:26 PM »
Goes to show, the only replacement for displacement is to lop off a couple of unnecessary strokes.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 10:17:34 PM »

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 10:38:40 PM »
Husky have stopped putting a six-speed on everything?  Dammit, they've systematically lost every single one of their trademarks.  Left-side-kick, gone.  Six-speed on all bikes, gone.  Tank mirror, gone.  Great bikes, I'm sure, but I don't know if the new Husqvarnas are really Huskies anymore.  It takes more than the Husqvarna name to be a Husky.  Maybe I'm just being a twat again, I don't know.  It's interesting to note that Husqvarna still have the worst kickstarter in the business, which seems to be a longstanding tradition that they've held onto.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 01:14:15 PM »
I'll just ask you this Jetz.
Would you use the same logic on the new Maico ?
Companies change hands and most engineers live in the present not the past!!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 05:53:05 PM »
Maico still have their legendary smooth power, and the left-side kick.  They lost the chain-driven primary drive and backwards clutch.  I wish they hadn't.  If Maico had become as traditional and "normal" as Husky had, I'd absolutely bash them for it.  Personally, I like all of the things that Husky got rid of, but I think the reason they got rid of them is because everyone else did.  You can't sell a bike with left-side kick to the masses anymore, all of today's riders would try to kick it with their left foot.  The six-speed they got rid of, I guess was for weight, but I can say it's my favorite feature on Huskies.  I love Maicos, but they only have five gears and that gets extremely annoying for the kind of riding we do.

I don't like the things I do JUST because they're tradition.  For example, the classic rear fender Husqvarna used for the last time on their 1979 bike no longer fit the bike, and I'm glad they got rid of it.  The 1980 fender was better for that bike, but would've been worse in 1978.  Maico's classic coffin tank was legendary, but it was costly to manufacture (hand-welded!), didn't hold as much gas as their newer one, and wasn't as comfortable for aggressive riding.  I'm glad they changed it, even though it was tradition.  However, when a company makes changes just for the sake of being more like everyone else, such as Maico's exactly-like-everyone-else's clutch, or right-side kick on a Husqvarna, I'm not going to assume that they did so for performance, rather than marketing.  The "engineers live in the present not the past" argument has been used many a time by the four-stroke crowd, may I remind you.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Rota Ash

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
was that a 300 in the vid, looked like it hauled, i remember a while ago there was a vid of a maico 700 that the guy didn't even twist the throttle, either that or it was just slow

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 09:56:53 PM »
The guy with the Maico 700 was taking it easy because it was brand-spanking-new and he was breaking it in.  Besides, with really big-bore bikes, you don't need to go for it.  Chances are, you'll be afraid to do so unless you're fairly used to large-ish two-strokes.  Everybody thinks my dad's '86 M-Star 500 doesn't rev out and "isn't that fast" because they've never heard the bike really going for it on the pipe.  That's because there's no acceleration that their bike will do to make the M-Star sweat.  It can stay cool and stay with anyone, right through fifth gear (after which point, a Husky will hit sixth and disappear).

Do you feel lucky, punk?