Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Update  (Read 36963 times)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Woot.
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2011, 08:20:02 AM »
Actually the E series KDX's have higher compression number's than the H series. So you can expect lower numbers with an H, which is what you have. It is fairly common to see guys on kdxr posting their E's numbers and they have 180+.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2011, 10:13:35 AM »
Anything under 120psi and the KDX will start to run poorly.I'd guess you should see about 150psi with a fresh engine.I've tested CR250 Honda's at over 200psi and had Yamaha's still run at 70psi.I think with an aftermarket pipe and silencer and a slight bump in compression that Kawi would be just about perfect for those long desert rides. :D

Way ahead of you with a Pro circuit platinum pipe, and a fmf Q silencer. Already thinking about milling the head. ;D

Actually the E series KDX's have higher compression number's than the H series. So you can expect lower numbers with an H, which is what you have. It is fairly common to see guys on kdxr posting their E's numbers and they have 180+.

Figures, Stock compression ratio for h series is 7:9:1. I heard it was worse on the 220's.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:17:38 AM by factoryX »

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline factoryX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2011, 03:45:42 PM »
Quick question, what is the proper way to ride a kdx? I don't think riding it like a 125 is correct... :-X

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2011, 04:07:35 PM »
Quick question, what is the proper way to ride a kdx? I don't think riding it like a 125 is correct... :-X

You are supposed to ride it with both pinkies in the air.  When you stop you should pour yourself a dry martini and put some grey pupon spread on some crumpets.   You should then proceed to trail ride, both pinkies in the air.
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2011, 05:20:50 PM »
 ;D

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2011, 05:27:38 PM »
Keep your toes pointed up and in towards the cases,stand up as much as possible and find a bunch of fast guys to go riding with,you'll get the hang of it in no time. ;D

Offline factoryX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2011, 05:41:10 PM »
thats kind of how I ride, but what I am asking is, is it okay to rev the crap out of this bike? Every youtube video I've seen so far, everyone rides this bike super slow, and barely getting out of 2500rpm's.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 05:49:11 PM by factoryX »

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2011, 06:18:25 PM »
thats kind of how I ride, but what I am asking is, is it okay to rev the crap out of this bike? Every youtube video I've seen so far, everyone rides this bike super slow, and barely getting out of 2500rpm's.

That's just the rider and style.  Second, the larger the bike the deeper it is and less it revs.  I know that some videos sounds like my Maico isn't revving when it's actually screaming.

You can scream the bike but generally for trail riding you don't want to keep the bike pegged, it will heat up faster.  That's why race bikes don't make good trail bikes, a 125 that's constantly pegged and working hard in the trails can overheat.

So when you going to bring the KDX up to Portland for a ride? :)

Offline factoryX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2011, 10:05:10 PM »
Already in the works. I think the main issue is that this bike is made for terrain like browns camp or mc cubbins gulch ohv. Here is are examples of what type riding there is here in bend..
East Fort Rock OHV - trail 12
East Fort Rock- Not So Secret Place

This trail looks fun and I wish I knew where it was.
East Fort Rock Helmet Cam
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:33:54 PM by factoryX »

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2011, 10:29:54 PM »
Ya, I'm not much for browns camp, those trails look better for wide open than even browns camp.  Been trying lately to update suspension and brakes.  Trying to go to disc brakes, at least in the front.

Diamond Mill 4

Diamond Mill 5
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:32:14 PM by opfermanmotors »

Offline factoryX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2011, 10:39:06 PM »
If there were trails like that here I wouldn't be complaining. O-well, I think I will ride the kdx till I am 100% comfortable with bikes and I will move up to a 300.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:47:22 PM by factoryX »

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2011, 11:35:53 PM »
Oh ok, I see what you're saying.  Sorry, around here McCubbins Gultch and Browns Camp are considered WOT trails :)  for the most part, what I showed was Diamond Mill which is technical single track, none of which is at browns.  But your trails like I said are really WOT, would be nice to open up some of my bikes there as they're made for that terrian, they just happen to work well in single track (minus the CR500, which is why I got rid of it).

Ya, if you're looking to ride WOT in that area, KDX isnt the right choice. I know I made the comment before that KDX's were seen as a "dog" to me, and that's just because where I grew up was all farmland (Trax Farms), open fields, no technical what so ever, no trees even.  Just had to watch out for ditches.  So I was easily in 5th gear WOT all the time.  Thats another reason its hard for me to be WOT in the woods, there's trees!    So any bike that wasn't a quick race bike is left in the dust and felt like a dog in that respect.  Thats just my opinion that a KDX isn't really meant for WOT and is meant to be ridden on trails.  It's not for the desert.  But That's my opinion, maybe someone else has a different opinion.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2011, 11:43:24 PM »
exactly, I want mainly single track or a kick ass technical trail like some at browns camp that go on forever. However, I will be also riding so mx track(hopefully) at my friends house up in sandy. Which is why I thought about maybe doing a kx125 chassis. Would changing the gear ratio help?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2011, 12:57:46 AM »
Here's the thing.  If you lower the gear ratio, the accelleration is faster but the top speed is slower and the power is moved down in speed.  if you raise the ratio, the accelleration is slower but the top speed is faster.

A big bore like a 500 can maintain accelleration as the gear ratios go higher for much taller gearing than a smaller bike could obviously.

You should buy my KTM 495 and put some modern suspension and brakes on it :)  That bike has some wicked accelleration.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2011, 01:01:15 AM »