Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Worth the Weight.  (Read 11775 times)

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Re: Worth the Weight.
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 04:29:25 PM »

Yes, that was me criticizing Maico,

:-* It's about time ;D

Seriously,I don't blame Mike at all and don't think the question is the least bit out of line.As a matter of fact,I was thinking the same thing-talk is cheap.I can understand all the import issues etc but in the end that all means #ick to the consumer.
All they want is to see it imported,see it tested,try it and see a reasonable distribution network with good support.
It sounds cool to me and I hope it works out but the older you get the more jaded you get.I've been reading about the great Maico comeback for years and well remember all the hype with the Cannondale among other amazing new makes/models.
As for Mike,he's obviously a knowledgeable dude-he has a Zep avatar! (insert rockin' smiley here) :)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline Mike D

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 05:00:15 PM »
John,

Long time lurker, short time poster;)

I just updated my bike list, and yes I live in the US, Oregon as a matter of fact. I sold two of my old bikes for a newer one about a year ago, but honestly, come on, bagging on what I ride shouldn't preclude what my opinions of what this new Maico is like or not. Jetz is right, I do think I asked a fair question that still hasn't been answered, when are we going to see this bike tested?

I know its almost blasphemous to criticize Maico here, but I keep hearing all these claims about how great this bike is but have yet to see anything to prove it. Let the bike speak for itself, is it that hard? I am simply anxious to see if it lives up to all the hype generated here. We've all seen claims by other manufacturers that this bike or that is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but few live up to the claim, anybody remember ATk, or Canondale?
Bikes in the shed:

92' Kawasaki KX 500
Two 86' Honda Fourtrax 250R's
2006 Honda CRF 450r

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 06:20:26 PM »
Sorry offroader,I missed the rumor/hint that the 380 was coming back.That's AWESOME to say the least...! Back in 2003 I was looking for a bike to buy and really wanted to find a Maico,"but ended up buying a used Suzuki RM-250 off of a co-worker/friend of mine".. :( but in my search to find a Maico I had gotten a phone # off a riding buddy for a shop in Erie PA. that had a bunch of late 90's early 00's Maico's still in the crates so I called the place & spoke to the owner & told him that I was interested in a 320 or 380 (at least at that time I was) and the man told me he only had 250's & 500's yet I still stupidly bought the RM off of the co-worker friend of mine..!Nonetheless I'm really glad to know that Maico International will offer the 380.That size 2-stroke would probably suit me a lot better than the 500cc beast yet It would be a tough decision to make.!?!Also I think at that time that the Maico's he was selling were the ones that were being built in the Netherlands or had been built in the Netherlands and I don't know how good the quality control was on the bikes @ that time?...Anyway I don't know if that shop or business in Erie PA still exist but for anyone on this site interested the place was or is called    Nagares Enterprises & it's located @ 1616 Sasafras Ln. Erie PA. 16502  Telephone # 814-456-1292  :D

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 06:33:59 PM »
Sorry offroader,I missed the rumor/hint that the 380 was coming back.That's AWESOME to say the least...! Back in 2003 I was looking for a bike to buy and really wanted to find a Maico,"but ended up buying a used Suzuki RM-250 off of a co-worker/friend of mine".. :( but in my search to find a Maico I had gotten a phone # off a riding buddy for a shop in Erie PA. that had a bunch of late 90's early 00's Maico's still in the crates so I called the place & spoke to the owner & told him that I was interested in a 320 or 380 (at least at that time I was) and the man told me he only had 250's & 500's yet I still stupidly bought the RM off of the co-worker friend of mine..!Nonetheless I'm really glad to know that Maico International will offer the 380.That size 2-stroke would probably suit me a lot better than the 500cc beast yet It would be a tough decision to make.!?!Also I think at that time that the Maico's he was selling were the ones that were being built in the Netherlands or had been built in the Netherlands and I don't know how good the quality control was on the bikes @ that time?...Anyway I don't know if that shop or business in Erie PA still exist but for anyone on this site interested the place was or is called    Nagares Enterprises & it's located @ 1616 Sasafras Ln. Erie PA. 16502  Telephone # 814-456-1292  :D
No worries.You should have bought the 500. :D

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 07:31:37 PM »
 :-[ Your absolutely right offroader & I have to say that I'm growing really impatient waiting on Maico Int. to get the new Maicos here in the U.S...I know it's NOT as easy as most of us think to ship them here so NO DISRESPECT to Maico International I'm just wanting to get a new ride and I would rather get a new Maico than a new KTM.I will sell my "08" 300xc in a heartbeat to put the money towards a 2011 Maico 500mmx....!!! :P

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 07:47:52 PM »
Or the new 380.A wise man once told me that good things come to those who wait.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 08:38:42 PM »
On a different note, I decided a few days ago to be the unofficial embassador for Maico on another MX-related forum I've been known to visit, and so I posted these last two bits of news over there.  The result has been fairly comical, here's some excerpts.

yzmxer608:  700 two stroke?
JETZcorp:  Yes, with 82 horsepower according to the Maico website.
Voutare:  Fuck that. 700cc's? That's ridiculous. I wouldn't even want to try kicking that beast over.
Wilmx829:  a 700cc two stroke? You would need a diaper to ride that.
yzmxer608:  That's just plain insane, better have some smooth power delivery.
JETZcorp:  It wouldn't be hard to kick over at all. I'm sure it comes with a compression release, just like every other big-bore Maico since the early '70s. [...]  Even the old 760 they said fired like a 250 once it was warmed up.
yzmxer608:  Jesus, they had a 760 too?

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline wintrader

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 12:59:43 AM »
John,

I just updated my bike list, and yes I live in the US, Oregon as a matter of fact. I sold two of my old bikes for a newer one about a year ago, but honestly, come on, bagging on what I ride shouldn't preclude what my opinions of what this new Maico is like or not. Jetz is right, I do think I asked a fair question that still hasn't been answered, when are we going to see this bike tested?

I know its almost blasphemous to criticize Maico here, but I keep hearing all these claims about how great this bike is but have yet to see anything to prove it. Let the bike speak for itself, is it that hard? I am simply anxious to see if it lives up to all the hype generated here. We've all seen claims by other manufacturers that this bike or that is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but few live up to the claim, anybody remember ATk, or Canondale?

I fully agree!!!

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 03:29:16 AM »
On a different note, I decided a few days ago to be the unofficial embassador for Maico on another MX-related forum I've been known to visit, and so I posted these last two bits of news over there.  The result has been fairly comical, here's some excerpts.

yzmxer608:  700 two stroke?
JETZcorp:  Yes, with 82 horsepower according to the Maico website.
Voutare:  Fuck that. 700cc's? That's ridiculous. I wouldn't even want to try kicking that beast over.
Wilmx829:  a 700cc two stroke? You would need a diaper to ride that.
yzmxer608:  That's just plain insane, better have some smooth power delivery.
JETZcorp:  It wouldn't be hard to kick over at all. I'm sure it comes with a compression release, just like every other big-bore Maico since the early '70s. [...]  Even the old 760 they said fired like a 250 once it was warmed up.
yzmxer608:  Jesus, they had a 760 too?

Haha honestly, I was just waiting for you to bring it up over there!
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 06:45:10 AM »
John,

Really I'm glad that you have decided to become a participant rather than a lurker!!

And even better yet I like that you don't agree with some things I said. You responded intelligently and without attacking, which I greatly appreciate.

To clarify a bit, I am not saying that you no one can criticize Maico... just want to make sure that folks have all the facts.

As for bike tests in magazines, that is worthy of an article all by itself! LOL

Some of you know that I am working with the North American distributor for TM Raicng. We have been talking about many of the things that would help get these bikes out into the public eye, of course one of them being bike tests...

Dan at Barker Bros has been the distributor of TM for over 10 years in Canada before taking on the US distribution earlier this year. Over the past ten years he has loaned bikes for magazine tests and been disappointed every single time.

For the most part the test riders love them.... but the tests themselves seem to reflect something a bit different.

This is one of the reasons that a few months back I was asking about ideas for unbiased bike tests. It's difficult when your magazine depends on ad revenue to write a bad review of one of their products.

Just more information.....

I hope I didn't come across as grilling you... just trying to point out all this other stuff!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 09:54:19 AM »
Dealerships might be a tuff nut to crack, I would'nt put it past the big four to threaten to pull thier line 'if you bring in that 2-stroke line up'. I want to know what these mechanical marvels are going to cost. What will the 250 cost? I am saving up for a new ride and am really leaning twoards a Service Honda f conversion.
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"

Offline metal_miracle

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 10:36:12 AM »
I have been following the maico`s whit interest  of getting a maico one day.
Also trying to find out whats needed to do a 500 to a 250 or the other way around.

and what is the the price for a new 2011 mmx?

I have owned and ridden various tm models
80,85,125`s and a 250
and for some reason the reviews that magazines do doesn`t really do the bikes justice
 and they often dont include them in shootouts either.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 06:13:23 PM »
The problem with a premature marketing campaign is exactly whats happened here. ::)
Everone knows now of the problems Maico are having with the import process.
It's easy to understand people starting to get impatient with the bike.

How would a 5 year old react if shown a box a candy and then told he can't have them until next week.

I had the same problem acouple of years ago when Evinrude "released" the new 130hp etec.
They had heaps of marketing and i had people put deposits down to purchase one.
Well 2 years latter and deposits returned we recieved the first shipment. >:D
Its hard to get customers back once you have pissed them of.

I hope Maico do well but maybe they need to cut back abit on the "taste testers " or "leaks" until they know when the permits will be ready.
PS. Get someone in the UK to do a test or put a vid on utube from one of your test days.
People want to see one running.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2010, 10:08:56 PM »
The problem is, they're not marketing a bike that's not for sale.  They're just marketing a bike that's not for sale where you live, or where I live.  But, while they're trying to wade through all the bureaucracy of importing a bike (which wouldn't exist if I were in charge, just saying) they also have to sell bikes in Britain and Germany and such.  It would be silly of them to just shut everything down until they have a complete distribution network on a global scale, but that's the problem when you have a global media like the internet.  That said, it is still discomforting that even a buyer that's within the umbrella of the Maico distribution network doesn't really have access to any information about how the bike goes, other than what's published by the company itself.  I imagine someone has already thought of this idea before, hence the test days thing I've heard about.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2010, 11:17:55 PM »
What would be cool is to be able to customize the transmission to your own gear ratios.
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.