Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: You call those Whoops??  (Read 5644 times)

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
You call those Whoops??
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 11:24:46 AM »
So I was going to start a thread but this is a good lead in. I want to start off by saying that the racing was amazing...despite:

FOX news style reporting - Have you ever noticed that FOX News always picks a buzz word or line and beats it into the ground? If I hear about the RED LINE one more time, I might just buy a four stroke because I am being brain washed and it it just easier to be STUPID and think all this is sincere.

The Big BOWL TURNS - They were bowled, yes but nothing was very big. Goes back to other posts about "Made For TV" so no view angles are blocked.

The Big JUMPS - like the Wall, the Quad, etc. None were very big. I didn't see the difficulty. Even though the 250's didn't generally jump the Quad, it had more to do with protecting your line into and out of the corner than the ability to jump it. When they did jump it, no one was on them.

The Ruts and Track deterioration - OK, throw the woops into this as well. I can buy that they wanted everyone to make it unhurt through the first race of the year, but what I can't accept is the 'color commentators' continuously telling me how bad the track is getting and how rough it it. We race Vintage MX on 40 year old machines on rougher tracks than that - for 30 minute motos. Shut the F*$# UP!

But all my complaining aside, I was happy for Davey. He really showed them! I was also happy for Canard. Although not a fan, I respect he is wicked fast. I personally think his days are behind him. His injuries are not something you should expect to come back from at that level, but if he can stay healthy, I believe he is a real threat to the Championship.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline matified

• View Profile
You call those Whoops??
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 02:57:29 PM »
So I was going to start a thread but this is a good lead in. I want to start off by saying that the racing was amazing...despite:

FOX news style reporting - Have you ever noticed that FOX News always picks a buzz word or line and beats it into the ground? If I hear about the RED LINE one more time, I might just buy a four stroke because I am being brain washed and it it just easier to be STUPID and think all this is sincere.

The Big BOWL TURNS - They were bowled, yes but nothing was very big. Goes back to other posts about "Made For TV" so no view angles are blocked.

The Big JUMPS - like the Wall, the Quad, etc. None were very big. I didn't see the difficulty. Even though the 250's didn't generally jump the Quad, it had more to do with protecting your line into and out of the corner than the ability to jump it. When they did jump it, no one was on them.

The Ruts and Track deterioration - OK, throw the woops into this as well. I can buy that they wanted everyone to make it unhurt through the first race of the year, but what I can't accept is the 'color commentators' continuously telling me how bad the track is getting and how rough it it. We race Vintage MX on 40 year old machines on rougher tracks than that - for 30 minute motos. Shut the F*$# UP!

But all my complaining aside, I was happy for Davey. He really showed them! I was also happy for Canard. Although not a fan, I respect he is wicked fast. I personally think his days are behind him. His injuries are not something you should expect to come back from at that level, but if he can stay healthy, I believe he is a real threat to the Championship.
   Fox news?? Really,, ?  You could do the same comparison of MSN, CNN NBC, ABC and on and on, all reporters of any shape and size do the same thing.
Make your point about the racing, which was good and I agree with your racing assessment and leave the political stuff to the trolls.

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
You call those Whoops??
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 04:17:38 PM »

... leave the political stuff to the trolls.

Smashed a nerve, did I? Look, I am not making a political comment. I am commenting on the poor reporting of Fox News and the poor reporting of Speed TV (a Fox Network). It is almost a freakin' trademark of theirs (FOX) to constantly repeat something - as if it makes it true. I agree that all the other News Networks jump on the band wagon, but that doesn't make it right and it isn't something I want in my racing coverage.

Also notice I didn't complain (although I feel in my right to do so) at having to watch 4 hours of that crap for less than 1 hour of racing. Thank all the gods* for DVR!

*(Your choice or lack of them. I wouldn't want to offend anyone.)
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline Lolerbabop

• View Profile
You call those Whoops??
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 04:23:47 PM »

Smashed a nerve, did I? Look, I am not making a political comment. I am commenting on the poor reporting of Fox News and the poor reporting of Speed TV (a Fox Network). It is almost a freakin' trademark of theirs (FOX) to constantly repeat something - as if it makes it true. I agree that all the other News Networks jump on the band wagon, but that doesn't make it right and it isn't something I want in my racing coverage.

Also notice I didn't complain (although I feel in my right to do so) at having to watch 4 hours of that crap for less than 1 hour of racing. Thank all the gods* for DVR!

*(Your choice or lack of them. I wouldn't want to offend anyone.)
LOLOLOLOOOLLOLOLL!!!!!

Offline rbigair40

• Junior
    • View Profile
You call those Whoops??
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 01:14:22 AM »
I wish Trey would have won , Even though i am a Dungey fan,and i like how js7 said i did like villipoto did with my knee (big excuse). also did you see chad (cry baby Reed) it looked like he was going to cry! he is such a GIRl . LoL   GO RD5

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
You call those Whoops??
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 06:11:16 PM »
I saw some very good racing.

I am more than happy to see reasonable sized whoops, that I still saw blokes stuff up  in, Without getting pile driven into the ground. Jumps - all fine by me - plenty of air for the spectators that Have to see it.

A sand (though it looked the colour of gravel dust) section, a bit of a 'wall', step down that you could see blokes trying damned hard to keep low on, with few succeeding. There seemed to be a variation in the soil, too.

Plenty of crashes, for the idiots who want to see it happen, and no blokes coming through from the back with little opposition.

I liked the after event pictures that showed 4  very well 'worked in' ruts coming out of  a few corners - showed it wasn't a one lined track. A Rare thing in SX.

I guess I'm not a 'typical' SX fan. Well, I'm sure of that - Outdoors is what I prefer. I don't want to see blokes hammered into the ground, and runaway wins. We had 4 blokes within 40ft of each other, for quite a while, and good racing. Without the early pile up, in the 250s, we would have seen better racing there, as well, I think.

I hope that they can continue to deliver tracks, that the riders were pretty happy with, as well as most spectators, and industry types. We pay be turning a corner here, to better tracks for racing on.

There seems to be a few here who Really want to see the Gladiatorial side of SX. "Are You (not) Entertained" , enough?

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
You call those Whoops??
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 10:08:29 PM »
"Are You (not) Entertained" , enough?

Nope. Not even remotely. SX is nothing more than a giant advertising campaign these days. It USUALLY goes like this: Villipoto or someone gets the holeshot and gets a monstrous lead and cruises to the finish.

It USED to be atleast 3 or 4 factory riders on their 250s battling it out and pushing each other to the absolute razor blade edge of their limits. People used to make mistakes with their clutch work or line picking. People used to get nailed on the inside by a guy that had the balls to go in hotter than hot on a 180 degree corner and stomp and turn his way around it and leave old mate in the dust.

None of this happens anymore. Its just bowl turns, pathetic excuses for whoops, propaganda and ridiculously hot monster energy girls. In hindsite the last point isn't that bad. 9/10 times its just a cruise the the finish.

Offline nom de guerre

• View Profile
You call those Whoops??
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 10:18:49 PM »
There were lots of runaway victories during the 2 stroke days, 4t SX is hardly cruise control like many on here imply... I am not a big fan of the circus like vibe and much prefer the outdoors. But, I still watch because dirt bikes rule and there is no other bike racing option... This past weekend had some great racing and I look forward to more.

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
You call those Whoops??
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 03:07:30 AM »
There were lots of runaway victories during the 2 stroke days, 4t SX is hardly cruise control like many on here imply... I am not a big fan of the circus like vibe and much prefer the outdoors. But, I still watch because dirt bikes rule and there is no other bike racing option... This past weekend had some great racing and I look forward to more.

I couldn't agree more.

A few too many people here, tend to believe their own BS.

SX is a circus, it always has been. And there was a hell of a lot of "after you, Alfonso", racing, in the past. On 4ts, and 2ts.

Rose coloured glasses, seem to be worn, by too many. In the eighties, there was a bit of variation in winners. But, think of the McGrath era, for just one example of racing being , largely, a follow the leader, or, "oh no, I better move over for Jeremy" series.

It will always be a Circus. And, a bloody one. My best hope for it, and MX, is that idiot rules get changed, soon. More variation in bikes, without handicapping. It May never happen, It May happen, who knows?

Stusmoke:

"Are You (not) Entertained" , enough? - it was a less than subtley changed movie quote - reflecting on "spectators" tendency for blood lust, and carnage. And, it seems, that even here, a fair few, show those tendencies.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
You call those Whoops??
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 03:21:44 AM »
agree totally

Offline snook620

• Professional
  • weekend warrior
    • View Profile
You call those Whoops??
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 04:52:50 AM »

Agreed. The show the other night was a bit long but the racing made up for it. Cant wait for Phoenix!

2000 YZ 125 under construction

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
You call those Whoops??
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 06:33:12 AM »

I couldn't agree more.

A few too many people here, tend to believe their own BS.

SX is a circus, it always has been. And there was a hell of a lot of "after you, Alfonso", racing, in the past. On 4ts, and 2ts.

Rose coloured glasses, seem to be worn, by too many. In the eighties, there was a bit of variation in winners. But, think of the McGrath era, for just one example of racing being , largely, a follow the leader, or, "oh no, I better move over for Jeremy" series.

It will always be a Circus. And, a bloody one. My best hope for it, and MX, is that idiot rules get changed, soon. More variation in bikes, without handicapping. It May never happen, It May happen, who knows?

Stusmoke:

"Are You (not) Entertained" , enough? - it was a less than subtley changed movie quote - reflecting on "spectators" tendency for blood lust, and carnage. And, it seems, that even here, a fair few, show those tendencies.

I know it was a freaking awesome movie. I think you're talking about Gladiator?

Anyways you're all welcome to enjoy supercross as it stands today. Let me put it this way if it were a choice between nascar, formula 1, motoGP and supercross, supercross would still unanimously win. I just think that the technicality of the racing was so much more fun to watch. And lets not forget the blue haze in the stadiums  8)

I'd like to clarify that I do NOT enjoy seeing blokes hurt themselves. In fact I find it heartbreaking. When I hurt myself badly enough to be off the bike for a while (which is rare) it KILLS me seeing my bike sitting in the shed. Thats me, not even going to motocross practise days yet. How do you think Professional riders that have contracts to fulfill, peak level of fitness to maintain, peak level of skill to maintain and fans to impress feels when they break a leg? I find it repulsive that people get kicks out of seeing riders stack it.

What I do enjoy about two stroke supercross though, is the Absolute DOG FIGHTS that some of the riders had. Yeah yeah I know: Stuart how can you be so ignorant theres still dog fights. Yeah, theres battles for places. Battles for places through bowl turns, piddly whoops that I would tackle on my XR100r and contrary to my point, pretty cool rhythm sections.

I guess I just miss the really hardcore nail biting no you know what, nail REMOVING excitement that was two stroke supercross.

Oh and you're also right about there being heaps of runaway victories in two stroke SX. I dunno why I said that, it wasn't even remotely correct lol.