Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Update on my RM's clutch troubles  (Read 2692 times)

Offline JaredRM250

• View Profile
Update on my RM's clutch troubles
« on: April 24, 2013, 10:37:43 AM »
Hi all,

I posted last week sometime about the clutch wanting to pull forward with the lever all the way in after an oil change, So I put some recommended oil in it. So yesterday when I was out riding i adjusted the lever to have some play in it and it seemed to have worked but every now and then I feel it having that problem and then not. Its confusing for me but from what I have learnt so far, leads me to think that there is still some of the old oil in between the plates. Also I'm having trouble changing UP a gear but not down. (when i hit powerband then try going up a gear I end up in the same gear) This could be one of two things? 1. The clutch not fully disengaging while attempting to change or 2. I'm bearing in mind that in 2011 I broke my fibula and have had operations on it and its still regaining muscle now, 18 month down the line.

Any feedback would be brill guys  ;D

Cheers,
Jared
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
Update on my RM''s clutch troubles
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 12:33:53 PM »
First of all, gear selelction is not going to be directly related to clutch, it should shift without any clutch. That is going to be down to rider error, you may need to look at technique, and also where the gear lever is positioned. As for the small amounts of clutch creep that you are getting, that could be several things. You may need to dis-assemble and inspect all clutch components in your bike. May be better to do it now, before it possibly got worse and needed a whole heap more money thrown at it.
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Update on my RM''''s clutch troubles
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »
Check your clutch basket for notching and your shift lever may be bent or loose on the shift shaft and is hitting something on the upshift.

Offline JaredRM250

• View Profile
Update on my RM''''''''s clutch troubles
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 06:09:21 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys  ;D

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
Update on my RM''''''''''''''''s clutch troubles
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 08:06:30 PM »
My wife's RM 125 would creep forward with the clutch in at low revs. I changed the clutch plates and it fixed it. The clutch plates were worn and would stick together, if i held the clutch in, front brakes on and revved it they would sometimes come apart. It only did it after the first oil change after i bought it, when i test rode it the clutch felt fine

Offline Micahdogg

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Update on my RM''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''s clutch troubles
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 09:44:02 PM »
My 97 and 01 RM's both did this.  If you adjusted the creep out of it, the clutch would slip on top end with a lot of load.  I just had to find a happy medium, but could rarely start the bike in gear with clutch pull.  Suzuki's are notorious for having buttery soft clutches too.  A cheap fix for an abused inner hub is to just buy another one new since they used to be about 1/5 the price of a billet hinson inner hub.

FWIW, I put all billet hinson stuff in my RM and it didn't really help -that- aspect of the clutch actuation.  It did perform really well otherwise though.
2011 KTM 250SX, 1986 ATC250R

Offline JaredRM250

• View Profile
My 97 and 01 RM's both did this.  If you adjusted the creep out of it, the clutch would slip on top end with a lot of load.  I just had to find a happy medium, but could rarely start the bike in gear with clutch pull.  Suzuki's are notorious for having buttery soft clutches too.  A cheap fix for an abused inner hub is to just buy another one new since they used to be about 1/5 the price of a billet hinson inner hub.

FWIW, I put all billet hinson stuff in my RM and it didn't really help -that- aspect of the clutch actuation.  It did perform really well otherwise though.

No trouble at top end. Like I said in the original post sometimes it stops pulling but gets annoying when it comes back

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Check your clutch basket for notching and your shift lever may be bent or loose on the shift shaft and is hitting something on the upshift.

This ^^^.You can file the notches out if this is your issue which will fix it temporarily but it will reoccur more quickly the second time around.
I love RM's but Suzuki has the butter clutch of the bike world. Any RM I've bought I automatically assumed I had to allow for an aftermarket clutch assembly.Even a brand new RM,the best thing you can do is trash it from day one.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.