Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: GPS  (Read 2261 times)

Offline fabbo

• Novice
    • View Profile
GPS
« on: April 28, 2013, 06:09:18 AM »
Could you guys lead me in the right direction of purchasing a descent offroad GPS which attaches to your bike handle bars and is robust etc etc.
I went riding on Thursday with my son in law he has a KTM 200 he seized his engine and it was late at night going back. Any way to cut a long story short he went back to my truck on my bike lost his way could not work out where I was. We had to involve the police they organised a search party for me eventually found me at 9pm at night. If only we had a GPS we could have hidden his bike and next day picked it up. The whole experience was an eye opener . The adrenilin was everywhere in me, we had a great day riding just a shit his bike broke down. >:-D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
GPS
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 07:08:08 AM »
I use a Garmin 62s for hunting.
You can get topo & road maps for them.
Have been around for awhile and are bullet proof and easy to use.
The new 62sc has a built in camera as well.
I have tried lots of different models over the years and these still seem to be the best.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline vetman

• View Profile
GPS
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 07:36:37 AM »
ive got a etrex not top of the line but a good backup also a forerunner for training which has found its way on many rides both are not the latest and greatest but I cant complain

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
GPS
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 01:19:52 PM »
Did you carry a phone with you?  I find myself enjoying riding alone more and more...  so the one tool I don't leave the truck without is my phone.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline streaks383

• Junior
    • View Profile
GPS
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 03:28:09 AM »
I use a trailtech voyager, they send you one calibrated to your bike.  Does GPS tracking, routes and waypoints.  Measures engine temp, keeps track of run/ride time which makes keeping an eye on fuel easier.  Has a tach and speedometer.  You can save your daily ride to go back to it later using the included ride leader software or upload it to an interface with google earth called OHVtrails.net, this way others can download your ride or you can download others and follow their tracks.  Came with handlebar mount and it was easy to install and worked as promised.  I have had it for a little over a year and use it all the time.  I have gotten lost on my own property before, with this it never happened again.  I has taken all the mud, water, rain and dust I could throw at it.  It is somewhere around $240 bucks at rockymountainatv.com   Hope this helps

Offline fabbo

• Novice
    • View Profile
GPS
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 04:25:55 AM »
I did have my phone but it was not fully charged and died on me thats when I had to do a water crossing at night I had no choice. As soon as I stepped into the water I fell in up to my elbows deep and walked to other side where the police and son in law were trying to find me. I could see them but they could not see me. I had nothing no working phone no lighter or torch. A shit of an experience. I am not a lover of riding by myself any more, one of the locals died simply because he was knocked out in an accident on his bike and another guy had his leg cut off because he was also by himself and could not make it back. They found him the next day but unfortunately it was good bye leg. He is a bloody good rider even with one leg