Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Could I fit on a ktm 150sx?  (Read 8727 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: Could I fit on a ktm 150sx?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 06:59:21 PM »
The '67 Kawasaki 120 is also a great beginner bike, if you can find one (in other words, find another bike).

But seriously, the bike you're looking for depends on what you want to do with it.  If you're out to go straight for zero-to-racing, I'd say just don't - start with trail riding or something just to get the hang of using a dirt bike.  The thing with trail riding is that you can get away with using a machine that's WAY beyond your skill level to race, and not get in too much trouble unless you're an idiot (and by the way, a very significant percentage of the world is).  When I was your age, I was on a 250 two-stroke, but then I was also much bigger than you.  I recommend starting with an 85 or something.  They're a bit like dogs in that they're not terrifically dangerous, until you really push your luck and back it into a corner, but until then can be your best friend.  A 125 is more like a trained wolf, which can maul people to death on your command but may turn on an inexperienced master.  A 250 is like a trained tiger, which is as deadly as anything you'll ever need, and can actually be surprisingly cuddly and playful (but god help the man who gets too casual).  And then finally, there's a 500, which is sort of like having a Tyrannosaurus as a pet, capable of killing everything in its sleep, including you.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline westsiderippa

• Expert
  • win on a 2t your a hero, lose just blame the bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 07:05:26 PM »
very nice analogy jetz ;D

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 07:51:41 PM »
As Westside said, Learn to ride first.
The worst thing you can do is buy a bike that scares the shit out of you so you stop riding altogether. :(
Buy an old XR or similar, thrash the shit out of it, THEN buy a 125.

A friend of mine started riding just 5 years ago at the age of 35.
Never been on a bike before in his life.
Got him a XR200 to learn on.
After a while he got faster and faster until the poor little bike was having it's neck rung everwhere.
Now hes on a KDX and loves riding. :)
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 08:52:21 PM »
What these guys are saying is true. Definitely don't get a 150. Too much extra money for 25 extra cc's that will pop you on your butt. If I were in your place here is what I would do

1. Attend a weekend MX school where they allow you to rent an crf100 or another small bike and listen to everything they say. Get use to the power delivery and learn what a power band is. Since you will be getting a two stroke, ask if they have a two stroke you can ride. Take it nice and easy.

2. Go out and buy an 03 Yz125. Best 125 motor you can get for bottom end. Also, it is a five speed.

3. Buy an FMF pipe and preferably a TurbineCoreII silencer (best pipe for bottom end imho) or the Q which is quieter.

4. Get some friends with riding experience to help you adjust to your 125.

And to answer your other questions you can race a 125, 150, and a 250 two stroke in the 250 class on an amateur level in most states.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 09:25:18 PM »
Oh.. and I can say that the XR is the best option. I started out on the 200, and rode the wheels off of it. Actually, I rode it so much that it just wouldn't start anymore(my fault actually but that is another story). It took several years on a slow, heavy bike in order for me to safely hop on a 125.
I'd rather be riding...

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 02:53:42 AM »
I read this young fellows post, and didn't see him write anything about not having ridden before.** I Did see his comment about being a beginner, so it could be the absolute case - but it could also be the class he rides in?**. Perhaps it's the typical question about becoming sponsored that new riders often come out with that has lead some to think he's an 'absolute' beginner.

If he already knows how to ride, and takes some of the advice given by some here, I see no problem with a 150. It, to me, would be easier to ride than a 125. I noted him saying he's not used to the power, but we've all gone through the stages of moving up with bikes, and most of us have survived.

As it is, I see a lot of put downs (but amongst them , some very good advice) of him.

It seems to be a really good way to drive the young bloke to riding a 250F, what with how easy they are to ride........  

Apologies to people if I've been a doofus and missed him as being a completely new rider, but if he's not, piling on him isn't going to help keep a young bloke on 2ts. Which is something most of us would like to see - more 2ts being sold and ridden.

*PS,

I just saw his other thread - I think he's got a valid comment about being scared a bit by a 74 CR125 chassis'd 185 as having the potential to scare him. I doubt that it would be a very shmick example of a conversion, and if most people here jumped onto a 74 CR125 chassis' bike, they'd give themselves a fright. I raced CRs  etc in that era, so , whilst they were good things then, I have no rose coloured glasses about old MXers compared to now, even though I have quite a few. :D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 03:33:26 AM by bearorso »

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 06:02:51 AM »
yeah bearorso, this is the third thread he has posted on the same topic. I imagine that someone told him about Sponsorhouse.com, and he has gotten one or two sponsors from there, highly doubtful that he has a fullride with the experience he has claimed.

Chris I want you to know that with your limited experience, jumping into racing is a bad idea. I have personally seen the effects of what happens when people think that MX is as easy as it looks. Parents that by thier 13 yo a 85 for a first bike and take him straight to the track after a couple of weekends of riding in the yard or nieghborhood sand lot. They've seen these Pros on TV or at the local track flying over doubles and 80 foot tabletops, and think that because they successfully managed not to loop out in the first couple of weeks learning to ride, that they are ready to go hit that 80 foot tabletop.
this usually results in an ambulance ride, and sometimes they get a lift from the coroner.

Seriously man

Get the RM85L, KX85L,( Both of those are the bigwheel models) KX100, KLX140, XR200,CRF150 (not the r), DR200, DRZ125l, TTR125L, something that you won't get yourself into trouble on and get some saddle time before going to the track. trail riding is the best way to become a better rider add to that a motorcycle school, and you'll be on your way to racing MX in a year or two. Don't listen to your buddies that are already on a 125 or 250f that have been riding for several years, and trying to make you feel like a dork for getting a play bike or a smaller/older model than thiers, dirtbiking is not about who has the newest coolest ride/gear, it is about FUN.
It is about being in control, and believe me riding a bike that you cannot control is no fun.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline TxTechRedRider

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 07:25:38 AM »
jetz,

I gotta say that post scared the crap outta me.  :o
trannasuarus what?
07 Honda Cr125.   
Petition signer #61

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 04:48:27 PM »

As it is, I see a lot of put downs (but amongst them , some very good advice) of him.

I don't see any put downs at all. From the sound of it he has had very little experence on a bike. If an old XR185 motor scared him I don't think a 125 would be the way to go for him.
Of course only he can answer that question.
Better he start of on something easy and then progress then give up altogether because he scared himself shitless.

He could be the next RC though, We don't know. ;D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 01:54:25 AM »

True, but he has 2-3 threads over the same subject, and on every single one everyone is telling him the same thing.  
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 02:04:14 AM by factoryX »

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 06:23:20 AM »
Yes I live in Texas I'm sure you can race it in michigan. Look bro I'll give you the best advice I can give as only a novice rider. I started riding a year and a half ago and knew that the best way to learn was a 125. When you're a beginner it really doesnt matter what size bike your on most of the time your lap times will be the same. You'll just be faster in certain places on a 250 but it would be way more dangerous. The 150 man It's the best bike i've ever ridden so fun, so much power, just an awesome bike but the power delivery on it certainly wouldnt be fun for a beginner in order to be fast on it you have to carry momentum, it basically rewards you all the things you learned on a 125. I went to the ktm oak hill ride day where Tommy Hahn blew up the 150 in one day, I asked his opinion of it and he said its the most fun he's ever had on a dirt bike and thats what a factory 125 feels like! But in all honesty just be patient man i've learned you cant rush motocross it takes time and there are numerous things you have to learn. There is no bike you can buy and just be ready for even the novice class. Learning and progressing is part of the fun just enjoy the ride!

Very good advice! X2

Offline CCOADY454

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 06:51:41 AM »
Find a mid 90's CR80.  The 85's seem to have a little too much kick, but the 80 Hondas seem to be a little smoother power band.  Great beginner bike in my opinion.

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 08:45:50 PM »
Who knows maybe the kid is born with riding ability. My 1st mx bike was a 125 and was wideopen on day 1. A  85 cc  would be big enough, but I  suggest  getting a 125. Try to find a cr125 05 to 07, the cr125 has the best handling and there very durable. I put a rad valve on my 06 cr125, it helped the low to mid range power alot, it comes off corners a gear higher and lifting the front wheel, good stuff.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2011, 09:06:21 PM »
Oh yeah he's a modern day Bob Hannah.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 09:52:05 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks cr 125's are dogs. They're sooo slow i've ridden one with the whole boyesen set up pc exhaust all the goodies and the yz and ktm just felt like it had way more punch.