Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Could I fit on a ktm 150sx?  (Read 8728 times)

Offline ChrisMX3417

• Novice
    • View Profile
Could I fit on a ktm 150sx?
« on: February 01, 2011, 05:17:35 PM »
I'm 5'5 and I weigh 125 pounds and im 15 also could I race this bike in the 125cc class or the 250 4 stroke class in America in Michigan?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Could I fit on a ktm 150sx?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »
Yes.
The 125 & 150 are the same bike.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline ChrisMX3417

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 05:21:13 PM »
Yes but could I race them in those classes like could I get sponsored racing a KTM 150sx in those classes?

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 05:22:25 PM »
I'm sponsored and I race a 150 in the 250f C class

Offline ChrisMX3417

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 05:24:58 PM »
In America and can I do it in Michigan?

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 05:34:37 PM »
Yes I live in Texas I'm sure you can race it in michigan. Look bro I'll give you the best advice I can give as only a novice rider. I started riding a year and a half ago and knew that the best way to learn was a 125. When you're a beginner it really doesnt matter what size bike your on most of the time your lap times will be the same. You'll just be faster in certain places on a 250 but it would be way more dangerous. The 150 man It's the best bike i've ever ridden so fun, so much power, just an awesome bike but the power delivery on it certainly wouldnt be fun for a beginner in order to be fast on it you have to carry momentum, it basically rewards you all the things you learned on a 125. I went to the ktm oak hill ride day where Tommy Hahn blew up the 150 in one day, I asked his opinion of it and he said its the most fun he's ever had on a dirt bike and thats what a factory 125 feels like! But in all honesty just be patient man i've learned you cant rush motocross it takes time and there are numerous things you have to learn. There is no bike you can buy and just be ready for even the novice class. Learning and progressing is part of the fun just enjoy the ride!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 06:22:34 AM by burn1986 »

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 05:38:27 PM »
most amature races are 200cc and under,  201cc to open. i believe up to B level
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline ChrisMX3417

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 05:38:58 PM »
Thanks but everybody says the the yz 125s have no bottom end for trail riding because I'm going to be trail riding for a whole week at camping

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 05:51:01 PM »
Thanks but everybody says the the yz 125s have no bottom end for trail riding because I'm going to be trail riding for a whole week at camping
Then don't ride the bike in the bottom end... And use the clutch...
I'd rather be riding...

Offline ChrisMX3417

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 05:57:15 PM »
I'm a biggner and not used to power

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 06:09:52 PM »
I don't think you are listening to what you are being told in here.

A 125 is probably too much bike for you.

If you insist on getting a 125 , be aware that none of them really have alot of bottom compared to a 250
When a 125 gets revving, it produces A LOT of power.

To create more bottom end in a 125 you need to lengthen the intake tract between the reed block and cylinder.
Moose racing makes an aluminum spacer called a "TORQUE SPACER" for almost every 2 stroke ever made.
They cost $30
This mod alone will give you great bottom end for cheap

Your other option is to lengthen the exhaust tract after the port
FMF makes a pipe called the "GNARLY"
It produces a ton of torque and is made out of 18 ga steel so it's tough
It costs $200
It will work with the stock silencer
HOWEVER
If you  are going to be trail riding you should also equip your 125 with a spark arrestor
FMF makes 2 great models that do not rob power
Turbinecore 2 ($120)
"Q" ($150)
The "Q" is a little more expensive but it is quieter than the Turbinecore, which is a good thing.
Loud bikes, although assumed to be faster, are not as fast as people think.
They only seem faster because the rider is subconcsiously scared by the loud sound.
It is a natural reaction that you have no control over and has been scientifically proven.
The loud sound also pisses off nearby people that do not share your love of dirtbiking.

The combination of  of these items {torque spacer+Gnarly pipe/SA) and the addition of an 11 or 13oz flywheel weight
($110 from stealthy)
will give you a ton of bottom end and will smooth out the power delivery throughout the entire throttle range.

GOT IT????

If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline westsiderippa

• Expert
  • win on a 2t your a hero, lose just blame the bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 06:33:03 PM »
ok i'll be that guy. i read your other thread and from the sound of it you have zero riding experience. if you go hop on a 125cc motocross machine 1 of 2 thing are going to happen. 1. you wont even get it going and your going to stall it out and flood it then fowl a plug etc... or 2. your gong to loop it so hard on your a-- you wont know what hit you. eventually you will figure it out but you will be chugging that 125 around fowling plugs left and right and to be honest you will learn zero and have about as much fun as kicking rocks.

you need to learn how to ride. most on here have got agree with me even though we are all pro 2t but go spend 5-700 or even less if you can find one and buy an old xr100 and go ride the snot out of it. then when you have comfort, control and a little seat time under i would tell you if your heart falls to the 2t side sell the little xr and go find a big wheel cr 85. you said it yourself, your 5'5" and 125 lbs. your smaller than my wife and she has followed these steps of progression and now i can happily say she is a decent rider.

just my 2 cents but hey i have dont know much after 20+ years of riding and racing motocross and teaching many numerous kids and adults the fun of riding. i would hate for you to ruin what is the greatest sport buy forcing yourself into or onto the wrong machine.

Offline westsiderippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 06:41:07 PM »
this is what it should sound like when you ride a 125. enough said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diYiCWoDM7g&feature=player_embedded#

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 06:46:08 PM »
This is what you need:

Or this:

Or this:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:48:21 PM by factoryX »

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline westsiderippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 06:49:08 PM »
here is another teaching vid for you to learn the proper way to ride a 125. good luck!!!

Jimmy DeCotis 2 Stroke