Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 2001 cr 125 goodie list  (Read 10210 times)

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: 2001 cr 125 goodie list
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 11:10:16 AM »
It,s easier to make a slow bike fast,than a poor handling bike handle better. You can make any bike faster,but you can,t improve the handling much.
But you sure can make a fast, good handling bike even faster. ;)
Which would mean a ktm, or yz 125, and i haven't found a bike that handles like mine, I am thinking i am going to go ahed with the mod and buy a practice bike that I can keep stock
I'd rather be riding...

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 04:57:23 AM »
O.K., I'm stil not getting it. You have enough cash to hypermod one old bike, then buy a second practice bike.
Why not just get a 2010 yz or ktm 125 .........no more power issues and a new bike.

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 01:04:51 PM »
O.K., I'm stil not getting it. You have enough cash to hypermod one old bike, then buy a second practice bike.
Why not just get a 2010 yz or ktm 125 .........no more power issues and a new bike.
And definately no handling or reliability issues.........both of them are awesome little bikes..
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 07:17:07 PM »
Yes, I would love a 2010 bike, but a 2010 bike around here is 8000 plus tax. My practice bike would be an 89, and I am just going by what this site has told me to do http://twostrokemotocross.com/2009/05/budget-racer-2001-honda-cr125/
I'd rather be riding...

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 07:28:12 PM »
I actually don't know what to do at the moment you see... This was my first motocross bike, but i am definitely searching for more power now, especially on hillclimbs, but, I have a brand new engine in the thing, and, the bike didn't change too much by 2007, I do know that the yz 125 and ktm have a lot more power, but who knows if I will have enough money. I can sell my cr125 for around 2300 dollars in my area, and if I travelled a little bit, I could pick up a good 125 for an extra 500 dollars, what do you guys think?
I'd rather be riding...

Offline mrhp

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 08:33:38 PM »
I am HP.

That bike stock is just sad - never ever quite ran right.

IF and that's and IF you can sell it for 2300...by all means DO so.

Pick up a newer bike - these days good yz125's can be had cheap.

Even the 05 honda was quite good stock (finally made revisions to motor that paid off)

But if you cant - and you even want to have fun - that motor needs help!  First thing you need to do is jet it a little more aggressively now - but this requires some expertise and patience.  Plus fuel choice factors in. 
I ALWAYS agree lessons will pay bigger dividends in lap times than ANY amount of motor work for non pro rider.

Somtimes when you find a couple horses - but find out how little dividends it pays off in a drag race in actual distance you can be discouraged.  I actually wanted to quit this business one day when I found the real difference in acceleration between a bike with 5 more horses than another - but I finally came to terms with the fact that I would much rather be the guy that gap ahead than behind after the start of straight!

That said - that motor is NO fun IMHO stock.  But run stock pipe for a while and see what you think of that - save you some dough - and it's quite decent in breadth.  Honda made good pipes stock!

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 09:38:46 PM »
I am HP.

That bike stock is just sad - never ever quite ran right.

IF and that's and IF you can sell it for 2300...by all means DO so.

Pick up a newer bike - these days good yz125's can be had cheap.

Even the 05 honda was quite good stock (finally made revisions to motor that paid off)

But if you cant - and you even want to have fun - that motor needs help!  First thing you need to do is jet it a little more aggressively now - but this requires some expertise and patience.  Plus fuel choice factors in. 
I ALWAYS agree lessons will pay bigger dividends in lap times than ANY amount of motor work for non pro rider.

Somtimes when you find a couple horses - but find out how little dividends it pays off in a drag race in actual distance you can be discouraged.  I actually wanted to quit this business one day when I found the real difference in acceleration between a bike with 5 more horses than another - but I finally came to terms with the fact that I would much rather be the guy that gap ahead than behind after the start of straight!

That said - that motor is NO fun IMHO stock.  But run stock pipe for a while and see what you think of that - save you some dough - and it's quite decent in breadth.  Honda made good pipes stock!

While, you are right, the bike doesn't have the same snap as the others, i still do enjoy riding it, heck, I loved riding my old xr, but, yes, I would like more power, so, I think I will finish up the season on my cr, and I will look for a yz in the winter.
I'd rather be riding...

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 09:38:59 PM »
Thanks for the help
I'd rather be riding...

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 02:47:36 PM »
Honda
  We just finished our season on our 2001 cr125 and we took 4th place in the series out of about 45 riders. It was our first year on a big bike in the 250C class with alot of highly modified 250Fs and most of them new. I usually take pictures of Jakes starts and he is usually about 4th to 7th out of about 20 riders and he usually backs off so we are working on his starts.  In Feb. he rode in two beginer class races and got the hole shot in both of them. Last week end he  finally figuered out how ride a 125 ( wide open)  He was fighting with two 250 two strokes for 11th place out of 24 riders and was passed and he repassed them and held them off very close racing. Its more the rider than the bike. I've done mods to the bike Jetting was huge 380 to 340 !!! and I think I could still go down one more size!! We have the oldest race bike out there and we are in the thick of things at a fraction of the price. By the way (knock on wood) we had no breakdowns!
Motocross is a real sport all the rest are just games

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 05:51:17 PM »
Keep up the good work luther. ;D
Thats what it's all about. Having fun at an affordable price.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 06:55:04 PM »
Thats part of my point unless your a A class or B class rider you may be better off with out having a rocket ship. When I raced I had a 1976 CR125 I DG port the cylinder and the big carb and it ruined the bike it was like a switch all on or all off. I was not capable of ride wide open. Here are a few pics.

Motocross is a real sport all the rest are just games

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 09:24:47 PM »
Honda
  We just finished our season on our 2001 cr125 and we took 4th place in the series out of about 45 riders. It was our first year on a big bike in the 250C class with alot of highly modified 250Fs and most of them new. I usually take pictures of Jakes starts and he is usually about 4th to 7th out of about 20 riders and he usually backs off so we are working on his starts.  In Feb. he rode in two beginer class races and got the hole shot in both of them. Last week end he  finally figuered out how ride a 125 ( wide open)  He was fighting with two 250 two strokes for 11th place out of 24 riders and was passed and he repassed them and held them off very close racing. Its more the rider than the bike. I've done mods to the bike Jetting was huge 380 to 340 !!! and I think I could still go down one more size!! We have the oldest race bike out there and we are in the thick of things at a fraction of the price. By the way (knock on wood) we had no breakdowns!
This is why I love this bike, I got it for a good deal, and it is a good bike to learn on, and I love riding it in all situations except for sandy hill climbs. This is why I have decided to do the spring series on my stock cr125(although I do think I am going to get to that jetting one of these days) and eventually get a new bike in time for the fall series, because I would like to be somewhat competitive on the hill climbs. Thanks for the tips!
I'd rather be riding...

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2010, 12:33:34 PM »
Listen to Luthier269 , it,s way more rider than bike at the b,c level. The cr125,s  are built more durable than other bikes, you can put mega hrs. on them and they feel like a new bike yet, tough trans.clutch,etc.  For hill climbing a 2011  won,t impress you much either, unless you mod the motor and then the fuel is 10 per gal.  A  04 cr125  has the cases fixed,just deck and port, a cr 05-07 is just as fast as a 2010 YZ, and the CR doesn,t blow tranny,s and handles  alot better. A pal of mine works at a KTM dealer, and told me the top am. and pro,s were surveyed on what is the best chasis ever built, the CR125 won  handes down.

Offline TxTechRedRider

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
 :D
07 Honda Cr125.   
Petition signer #61