Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 2001 cr 125 goodie list  (Read 10213 times)

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
2001 cr 125 goodie list
« on: August 23, 2010, 10:59:53 PM »
As many of you know, I ride a 2001 cr 125, and it happens to be one of the slowest 125's(in terms of power, has a good frame though) out there. I have now decided to send my cylinder and carburetor to HP bikes as told to do so in the budget racer build up on the main site. Derek Harris is also offering me a 1999 cr 125 ignition module that will allow me to rev higher. My question for you guys is what bolt ons should I buy to make the best, most hard hitting top end ever! I am planning to save up through the winter and buy bolt ons that will compliment the new engine. I have already asked him to put as much punch up top as physically possible. I am thinking an fmf(no pro circuit) fatty will get me the most top, but, I hear the shorty brings more bottom, what silencer would increase top? Also, what reeds? Boysen, or Vforce? What about this power now plus that fits in your carb, and supposedly increases hp, what jet kit? what about this boyesen quick shot cover for the carb? Do you guys know of any bolt ons? I will have roughly a grand to spend. I want this thing to be a fire breather for the 2011 season. I will by the way send the cylinder off in winter, as I have one last race in september, thanks guys! ;D
I'd rather be riding...

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: 2001 cr 125 goodie list
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 11:41:42 PM »
Unfortunately you probably don't want to hear this but bolt ons are just that bolt ons. To make good top end power you have to make a few simple changes like adding a base gasket and 1 extra gasket between the reed cage and the cylinder.However the biggest change can come from you. For example if a AMA Pro level rider rode your bike as is would it go round the track quicker? Can you cope with a a peaky engine? Do the gearbox ratios suit a peaky engine?
To make a good modified engine, everything has to work together and you start to move away from bolt on to custom this and that.
Spend the grand on a ride school and some suspension.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 10:48:28 AM »
I didn't really think of that, though I will still be sending my cylinder off to HP bikes, because the bike is still very slow, any suggestions for suspension companies?
I'd rather be riding...

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 04:12:16 PM »
I have a pal that raced a 01 cr125 totally stock,pipe,silencer,everything in 05. He got top 3 starts sometimes and won alot, ended up 1st in Northern Cup series, that was  highly contested, ave. 30 or so in 125b. He,s  6 ft. 1 or 2  175 or so. I  have a 04 cr125 and 2 months ago picked up a 06 cr125. The 04 is slower than the 01 stock,until jm racing ported it and borred the carb to 40 mm, it pulls a YZ 144 on hills with a 35 lb. lighter rider on the yz. If your going nuts and want to mod your bike a little get the rad valve, take it apart polish the internals, on my 06 it made an instant diff. On my 04 before the porting, I installed the vforce and was disapointed,very little diff. On my 04 my engine guy endorses FMF, I told him I hv. a PC on it,whats the diff.anyway he said the fmf hits harder, the mod motor hits hard already, the pc pipe has better over rev. On a hard pack track I took the pc silencer off, put the stock silencer on with the pc pipe, it was smoother delivery,lost top end.  It really comes down to riding as much as you can, or if you only have time for 20 laps, brake late smooth in threw and out of the corners, be precise everywhere, be aggressive on every inch on the track, then every mm, no cruising. Maintain your bike, if you want to become a really great 125 rider, have a practise 125. What you want on a 125 is a smooth flow, with your wheels on the ground it feels like your flying, in and out of corners it will feel like your in the air,because your so dam smooth.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 05:22:47 PM »
I just did a complete overhaul on a late model Honda CR125 for a friend's wife. Man was that thing slow. At the same time I was restoring a 35 year (!) year old hotrodded Sachs 125 that made WAY more power.

I would do the same mods as in an article that was featured here at TSM a little while back. Otherwise you won't stand a chance.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 05:30:46 PM »
I just did a complete overhaul on a late model Honda CR125 for a friend's wife. Man was that thing slow. At the same time I was restoring a 35 year (!) year old hotrodded Sachs 125 that made WAY more power.

I would do the same mods as in an article that was featured here at TSM a little while back. Otherwise you won't stand a chance.
I am doing all the mods on the article shown on this site, this is where I got the idea. Do you know why this particular bike can not make power?
I'd rather be riding...

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 05:36:21 PM »
I have a pal that raced a 01 cr125 totally stock,pipe,silencer,everything in 05. He got top 3 starts sometimes and won alot, ended up 1st in Northern Cup series, that was  highly contested, ave. 30 or so in 125b. He,s  6 ft. 1 or 2  175 or so. I  have a 04 cr125 and 2 months ago picked up a 06 cr125. The 04 is slower than the 01 stock,until jm racing ported it and borred the carb to 40 mm, it pulls a YZ 144 on hills with a 35 lb. lighter rider on the yz. If your going nuts and want to mod your bike a little get the rad valve, take it apart polish the internals, on my 06 it made an instant diff. On my 04 before the porting, I installed the vforce and was disapointed,very little diff. On my 04 my engine guy endorses FMF, I told him I hv. a PC on it,whats the diff.anyway he said the fmf hits harder, the mod motor hits hard already, the pc pipe has better over rev. On a hard pack track I took the pc silencer off, put the stock silencer on with the pc pipe, it was smoother delivery,lost top end.  It really comes down to riding as much as you can, or if you only have time for 20 laps, brake late smooth in threw and out of the corners, be precise everywhere, be aggressive on every inch on the track, then every mm, no cruising. Maintain your bike, if you want to become a really great 125 rider, have a practise 125. What you want on a 125 is a smooth flow, with your wheels on the ground it feels like your flying, in and out of corners it will feel like your in the air,because your so dam smooth.
I am thinking that that is what I need to do, practice, be smooth, get some lessons from a pro, I really do enjoy riding my 125, it is a lot of fun, and boy do you ever have to be on the pipe, it really builds skill. I can't imagine what it would be like riding my friends' 250f now! My friends are telling me, "You are beating us on a slow cr125, imagine what you would be like on an rm125 or a 250f". So... my other question, should I just buy a different 125, I will not buy a 250f though, you guys think it's possible for me to do good in the school boy, 125 beginner class on a stock 125 cr?
I'd rather be riding...

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 09:16:43 PM »
The 90's Honda CR125s were the bikes to beat, so what happened to the last ones I do not know. Did the other 125s get faster, or the CR125 slower? The last KTM SX125 I rode sure was fun.And why did Honda put the 5 speed gearbox in the last CRs as well?

I think your CR125 has excellent potential for very little money. While the 250f guys will be sweating every moto, wondering how they will  pay for it all, you'll be getting faster and faster and having more fun.

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 10:01:01 PM »
Yeah you can do well on a 01 cr125 in beginner and competitive in 125 jr.  The so called slow years of the cr125 2000 to 04 have a good mid range, they rev out but theygo flat on top, most 125,s stock are this way. The 90,s  cr125,s  made a peak of  27 hp, a 2000 is over 32, a 04 is 30.7, a  05-07 34.8  and  has great throtle response. Even if you had a 40 hp mod 125 that motor will have a sweet spot, prob. in the upper mid,that,s where you would ride it,every motor has a  sweet spot,your bike is no diff.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 10:09:27 PM »
The 90's Honda CR125s were the bikes to beat, so what happened to the last ones I do not know. Did the other 125s get faster, or the CR125 slower? The last KTM SX125 I rode sure was fun.And why did Honda put the 5 speed gearbox in the last CRs as well?

I think your CR125 has excellent potential for very little money. While the 250f guys will be sweating every moto, wondering how they will  pay for it all, you'll be getting faster and faster and having more fun.
I am wondering all the same things...
I'd rather be riding...

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 10:09:54 PM »
Yeah you can do well on a 01 cr125 in beginner and competitive in 125 jr.  The so called slow years of the cr125 2000 to 04 have a good mid range, they rev out but theygo flat on top, most 125,s stock are this way. The 90,s  cr125,s  made a peak of  27 hp, a 2000 is over 32, a 04 is 30.7, a  05-07 34.8  and  has great throtle response. Even if you had a 40 hp mod 125 that motor will have a sweet spot, prob. in the upper mid,that,s where you would ride it,every motor has a  sweet spot,your bike is no diff.
Why did the 2004 bike lose power?
I'd rather be riding...

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 11:36:21 PM »
That was the 1st yr. honda built the 250f. It was a surprise that the 125 got any improvements at all, but it was a rush job with the new cylinder with the eletronic power valve. The transfer ports- the little ports inside in the middle, are too high. Quick fix deck the cylinder-machine quite a bit off the bottom, widen the exhaust port, very little other porting, bore carb to 40mm, icat, 110 leaded fuel,pc pipe,silenser, head mod. And then it,s  37hp or so.  Now it,s stroked and borred 2mm, I didn,t want the ovr bore,but it,s done and it,s quicker and faster than a 150 KTM easily. The bad the 110 leaded fuel  in 5 days can not be used, that,s the cheap stuff 6.50 a gal., I need to use vp112 and that,s more than 10 a gal. My back and hip is still hurting, never should,ve flagged the race sunday.

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 02:00:48 AM »
Spending all that money to make an old bike go a little faster, doesn't make sense to me.
Why not sell it and use the extra $$ you where going to spend on hot up's, to buy yourself a later model yz or ktm.
Guarenteed to be faster and still standard (read reliable) Big mods turn bikes into time bombs.

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 10:49:58 AM »
It,s easier to make a slow bike fast,than a poor handling bike handle better. You can make any bike faster,but you can,t improve the handling much.

Offline Sheriff

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 10:56:08 AM »
It,s easier to make a slow bike fast,than a poor handling bike handle better. You can make any bike faster,but you can,t improve the handling much.
But you sure can make a fast, good handling bike even faster. ;)