Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Tires-What Sneakers Do You Run On Your Bike?  (Read 6174 times)

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
Tires-What Sneakers Do You Run On Your Bike?
« on: July 14, 2010, 08:42:12 AM »
I really like the Michelin Star Cross series.I'm always trying something new but would like to hear from everybody about what they like.
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Tires-What Sneakers Do You Run On Your Bike?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 10:21:54 AM »
I currently run the Bridgestone M403/404 combo and am really liking it.  I like the Dunlop 756 rear when new, but they seem to wear out too fast.  I've never run Michelin's but have heard good things about them, especially tread life.

Offline DangisMX

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 11:28:47 AM »
I've heard lots of things about tires called MOTOZ. Apparently they are quite good, but would be hard to get for me because they're made in Australia I think, so that's half way round the world for me. Just take a look at one of their tires:

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/Reviews/motoz_review/Motoz%20rear%20(Medium).JPG

I think this company does think out of the box a little and their product might be worth a try.

Offline Suzuki TS250/185

• Expert
  • No Thanks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 12:12:50 PM »
I like those Michelin "Star Cross" tires for my YZ125.

They've been wearing really well and they're really predictable on the N.E. Pennsylvania terrain. Even grass!

Thanks,

Jim
I think 4 stroke dirtbikes are a phase, kind of like "Glam Rock" in a way. You see the whole world subscribing to it, and you wonder how everyone could be choking down so much Kool Aid and Spam... Then 10 Years later, nothing's left but the timeless stuff from before and after..

Offline RideRedMx2

• Expert
  • HRC FACTORY RACING
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000301824082&ref=profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 01:08:30 PM »
Dunlop MX51's.......they work as good or better as 756's but dont wear out near as fast    ;D

Honda CR-250R #2.....Vet Class
CycleNation Powersports...Cycle Center Of Denton...HRC Factory Racing

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 01:43:37 PM »
Michelin S12's are a good tyre for soft ground/ muddy conditions but i have found they shread knobs when used in rocky conditions.The new xc series is suposed to be better.

I use Kenda K771 rear which i have found to be very good in rocky conditions and also good in the mud.
The tyre is reversable for hard/soft ground. The centre knobs are offset to act like a paddle when run in the soft direction.
They have very large well spaced knobs for the mud but the casing is much stronger then the Michelin and stands up well when you have sharp rocks.

The MX Master MTX-79 front works really well on the tm.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Jontey

• Novice
  • KX250 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 02:34:31 PM »
I use Kyoto tires on my bikes. Nuff said  :D
Sand tracks+2 Stroke Bike=WIN!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 02:40:40 PM »
I used whatever tires my friends son gives me. He races offroad locally and uses tires for 1-2 races tops and when I need a tire I grab just one of his old ones  ;D .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 07:47:10 PM »
I'm using what came on my bike but as soon as I can I'm gonna get me a TerraFlex

http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=68&rn=285&action=show_detail
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:26:02 PM by riffraff »
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 08:39:25 PM »
Metzler up front and a teraflex in the rear..................never mind, that was my 81 YZ465. Good times.
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card
A lot of memories no one can take away

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 08:50:33 PM »
Old  dunlop  490  front,rear  737  for  the  hard pack  local track. For  the  sand tracks  773 dunlops, I   change  my  own  tires   so  I  stay away  from  thick  side wall  tires, plus  there  heavier. I  agree   Michelin,s   wear  very good, I had  a  pair in  95 or 96, in 08  a  dealer  shipped  the  wrong  size, a  large  250f  tire, I    put  the  rear  on, way  too  heavy  for a  125, so  I took  it  off  and  lost  money  selling  them.

Offline MMS

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 04:58:59 AM »
Michelin S12's are a good tyre for soft ground/ muddy conditions but i have found they shread knobs when used in rocky conditions.The new xc series is suposed to be better.

The XC has a different carcass, s'posed to be more "4-stroke biased" (cringe!), I know from fitting them that they are definately a lot stiffer than before, I just hope the new branding isn't a rouse to disguise the fact that the production of them has now been moved to the far east and we're actually being palmed off with a poorer quality tyre! All that aside if you wanted to run in harder conditions you should run the M12 as the S12 just won't be up to it. The Starcross is actually designated as the MS which is s'posed to do the job of both soft and medium but they're a bit more expensive and the "S" series has such a good reputation here in Ireland that it's still the big seller.

771's are an excellent tyre and IMO now a better rear than the new Michelins but the front is just awful so my preferred choice for myself and what I recommend to customers is S12 front with Kenda 771 rear. Can't fault it myself and most people who run it tend to agree.

As an aside, Kenda do a 120 rear in both 18 and 19 inch and I actually had to stop fitting these as they had too much grip which caused all sorts  of problems but it shows how good a tyre they are.

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 05:36:51 AM »
Im currently running a Michelin on the front and a Pirelli sand tyre on the rear (the one that looks sort of like a paddle) goin good so far especially the front.
Best one i ever had was a Metzeler on my KTM, cant remember what type it was but i got excellent wear out of it.
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline Suzuki TS250/185

• Expert
  • No Thanks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 10:31:19 AM »

The XC has a different carcass, s'posed to be more "4-stroke biased" (cringe!), I know from fitting them that they are definately a lot stiffer than before, I just hope the new branding isn't a rouse to disguise the fact that the production of them has now been moved to the far east and we're actually being palmed off with a poorer quality tyre!

Does a "4-stroke bias" mean the tire has some feature that makes it easier to push the dead bike out of the woods or off the track after it grinds to a halt out there?

Something like that could be an often used dream feature for a 4 stroke tire...
I think 4 stroke dirtbikes are a phase, kind of like "Glam Rock" in a way. You see the whole world subscribing to it, and you wonder how everyone could be choking down so much Kool Aid and Spam... Then 10 Years later, nothing's left but the timeless stuff from before and after..

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 10:53:55 AM »
Yeah  Scotty Dog , that Pirelli  is  a  awesome  sand tire,when  you have  the bike up right. That  tire  hooks up  very good, it,s   a  hard  tire  to  change  though. In  98  I  had  1  on  a 98  YZ250  and  raced  it, on a  deep sand track. In every  berm  I  would  get  the  bike  up right quicker, because  of  the  awesome  drive, I  would  catch  the  new  YZ400f,s  on the  beginning  of  the straight,s  off  the  corners.   You  put  your tire  by the  heater  in  your  truck, to  soften  the  rubber, when  it,s  40 degrees, in the summer  put  your  tires  in the  sun. It  makes   changing  tires  much easier. And  use  lube   NAPA  has  tire  lube, you can delute it, usually  I  just   grab  WD40. And  always  have  a  spare  tubes. After  changing  tires   clean  your  disk brakes, and  ride  your brakes  to  check  your braking  power.