Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Can anyone help this guy out??  (Read 3860 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Can anyone help this guy out??
« on: July 09, 2010, 12:55:31 PM »
Hey Guys,

I just received this e-mail and my heart goes out to the guy. Anyone know where he can locate the parts he needs to get back out on the bike?

Thanks!

I recently bought a 2006 KX250 two stroke! it's awesome! After riding 450 Hondas in 2007 and 2008, I had to sell them due to the economy...After two years of not riding and missing it like crazy I finally saved up enough money to buy the KX and I love it...however, on only the second ride....the motor grenaded.

When I took it to my mechanic, he informed me that it tanked because of the JB weld job on the bottom of the motor. I had no idea that the JB weld was there, I was heartbroken and distraught. I would have never bought it if I knew that JB was holding and i'm really hurt that the guy that I bought it off of didn't tell me what was going on.

Pieces of the JB weld went into the crank, destroying that, then into the cylinder which broke the piston and when that happend it cracked the cylinder. I basically saved for a year and a half to buy a bike that I rode one time and now I have no bike to ride nor the money to fix it.

Do you guys know of anyone out there that might have some engine components for a bike like this and that may possibly be able to help me out??? I'm working for a new MX facility near my home and it hurts me to be out there and not be riding :( I have someone that will fix it if I can find the parts, what I need as of right now is 1 Cylinder Left and Right Engine Cases HELP!

THANKS!
Christopher Campbell

Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help this guy out??
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 01:02:27 PM »
mrcycles.com and bikebandit.com can get those parts new, I just checked the cylinder (actual new jug) is like $500 dollars, they won't be cheap to buy brand new. 

The side cases probably can also be bought there, I mean I got a side case for a 86 Honda CR500 brand new 2 years ago from there. 

If the jug can be resleeved and he's lookign for a sleeve he should try nwsleeve.com or lasleeve (nw sleeve I have heard is preferred). 

Otherwise, I would just check ebay and see what years are the same and just buy a used one.
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline motomike894

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 03:16:30 PM »
Yeah KX parts are expensive.

But look on Ebay, you can probably find a good used set of cases, cylinder I would just have re-plated, by like US Chrome my dad has some done there, I think its about $200 and it will be like new.

And you can get aftermarket brgs, gaskets, etc. to put it back together to save some money.

I can get a good deal on aftermarket parts if you need anything let me know.

good Luck!

Offline juliend

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 05:09:33 PM »
Langcourt welded up and replated a really busted up kdx cylinder for me for $200. I wish I had some parts about to help this guy out, I honestly do. I have some usable engine cases out in the garage, but nothing to fit his kx. :( I will keep my eyes open though. I have a really good friend with one of those old shops that has shelves and shelves of old bits and pieces. I'll swing by there monday and see what I can find on the shelves. If he does have anything usable in this case, I will be able to get them for very cheap. I help him out, he helps me out, it's a good relationship. Perhaps I can pass the love on to someone else? I'll see what I can find.

Offline MRCHRISTOPHER98

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 07:30:41 PM »
HEY GUYS!!!  I've been a member of a ton of forums in my life but the help you guys have offered up thus far is way more then i've ever gotten from any of the other ones.  You guys rock!   thank you guys so much for the help!!

Offline socalcajun

• Expert
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 07:47:53 PM »
HEY GUYS!!!  I've been a member of a ton of forums in my life but the help you guys have offered up thus far is way more then i've ever gotten from any of the other ones.  You guys rock!   thank you guys so much for the help!!

There's not much I can do personally but I will keep an ear and eye out. Got a few buds in the industry that owe me some favors as well. No promises other than I'll try.
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell Out of the Way

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 09:17:48 PM »
I  would  visit  the  seller  and  negotiate   some deal  out.  The  sellar   keeping   jb weld  a  secret  is   pretty  lame. Have  a   friend   issue  court  papers  on him, then  he,ll  make  things right.  I,m  not  a  case  expert, but   you   could   hit  your  local   welding shop  and   they  should   know   if  the  cases   can   be saved, sorry  I   don,t   have  KX  parts.

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 05:56:36 AM »
I also go through langcourt for my cylinders.  Top notch and cheap.  As far as the bottom end. You may be able to weld the bottom and then just smooth it down.  I've done that on some bikes, depending on how bad the hole is.  You can fix up to about a quarter size hole. That is the cheap way and then again like others said, Ebay.  Good luck. 
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 06:10:40 AM »
There is a set of 98 crank cases on eBay right now for a buy it now of $129.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 06:12:31 AM »
There is a set of 98 crank cases on eBay right now for a buy it now of $129.

Since I don't know the KX line that well (never owned one) What year cases would work on the 2006? Same for the cylinder, what years can be interchanged?
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline motomike894

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 06:28:04 AM »
I looked up on parts fiche, and the cases and cylinder for 2006 have a different part number then 2005 and back for both.

Wether they would work or not I dont know, but I know in 2004 I think they changed there engine quite a bit I think so I know they will be different.

Here is a link to a engine I found on Ebay might be out of price range, but bored at work thought I would pass it on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-KX250-KX-250-engine-motor-kart-kit-carb-17-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5192287485QQitemZ350344475781QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I also have a good friend I used to work for that is a welder/fabricator and is very very good at welding aluminum.

He has fixed cases for my dad before and he did on one of my old bikes and it worked perfect, never had another issue, if you sent me the cases I bet I can get them fixed up for you one way or another, and it wont look that bad either.

He doesnt charge much either, I bet for $50.00 he could fix whatever needed done.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 06:35:40 AM »
Nevermind, I'm a goob. I thought he had a 98, now I realize I was thinking of a different thread on a different site, LOL.

Edit: According to Kawasaki's site parts diagrams only the 2006 & 2007 shared cases.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 06:40:14 AM by Coop »
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.