Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Smokers Rule  (Read 5991 times)

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Smokers Rule
« on: May 07, 2010, 03:51:08 PM »
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: Smokers Rule
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 06:27:34 PM »
Wow, there are some really late-model CZs in there.  Not a bike you see much of in the long-travel realm of Evo bikes, but I suppose they stayed popular until the end with some riders.  You think Maico riders have passion, I hear the CZ freaks were nuts.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 06:29:21 PM »
The non linkage PDS rear end on the 150SX definately handles the big hits differently then a linkage bike. The BMW 450 behaves in a similar manner.

Offline DangisMX

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 12:20:46 PM »
Wow either the kid on the 150 is really good or all the other riders are not. Or both :o .  I had a 150 sx as well, didn't like it at all :(. I was happy when I finally sold it. I hear lots of people saying good things about this bike, and it's a nice bike to ride, but I was really disappointed with it's reliability. The piston didn't even last the 20 hours it was supposed to not to mention other things, and where I live the piston costs 200 + US dollars :(. It probably had to do something with the fact that I almost always used to ride in sand.

:D :D That's funny, the final video is from Lithuania :D. That's where I live.

I like old school motocross, it looks good in pictures at least, never got to see it myself, I'm only 19 years old :\. My dad used to race in motocross in the Soviet times. Back then most people didn't have their own bikes, they could join sport clubs and if they did good, after some time, maybe they got assigned a decent bike. In the Soviet Union russian bikes (Izh planeta sport, ural etc.) and Cz were the most popular and you could hardly ever find anything different. Especially import bikes from Japan and outside USSR were considered "exotic", not many people have even seen them, not to mention ride them. Due to nostalgic feelings, many people still race these very bikes today in retro cross events. They restore them and try to tune them up etc. Maybe I can find a video or two...

Heres an interresting one: Izh Jupiter 3. Twin cylinder, 350 cc (349 actually) air cooled two stroke. The funny thing is they were never ment to be raced in motocross, but these guys are actually doing pretty good and winning some points every year, sometimes even beating professional sidecarcross racers who decide to try out retro racing. I actually have a predecesor of this bike, Izh Jupiter 2, made in 1965 in my garage :D. I'l try to restore it one day, and ride a two stroke on the road (to university, shopping, etc..)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uppddBDbG4c

BTW it has no power valve, and no expansion chamber, AND it only goes up to about 6000 or so RPM AND it weighs 150 kilos stock, without the sidecar :D. Soviet engineering at its finest !

Here's how the races look in winter. It can get up to -30 C here or even colder sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7onNZRsCw0&feature=related

They don't do much jumping during the summer either, the suspension is not up to par. There are also solo clases, but the sidecars are the most popular and it's where the biggest numbers of participants always are.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 12:51:20 PM by DangisMX »

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 02:23:40 PM »
Wow, I never knew that sidecars were really big anywhere.  I always thought it was more of a small-scale novelty.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline DangisMX

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 02:35:29 PM »
They're actually quite popular here in Europe :). Definitely more interesting to watch than ATV cross and probably of equal popularity (not the retro stuff, the new bikes. Some of them have 700 cc two stroke engines which I find very interesting) . Still, modern day sidecar cross can't even compare to regular motocross.  
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 02:45:31 PM by DangisMX »