Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Rear end/Forks  (Read 3654 times)

Offline JE97

• Novice
    • View Profile
Rear end/Forks
« on: June 21, 2011, 10:23:53 AM »
Hey guys just did a top end on my KDX 220 (Pulls HARD now! Got a really smooth hit in the powerband too.), but now I am sort of wondering whether or not I should look at doing fork oil, and doing all the rear end linkage bearings and what not. The reason I am wondering is because right now I am only a woods rider (Dont have the money to go racing right now, nor do I own an MXer), and the suspension feels quite good as it is. As well, I have never done any suspension work and I wouldn't want to get into anything over my head without some help. So comparing costs, and the amount of improvement in the performance, would it be worth it for the type of riding I do?

Thanks guys, any feedback would be much appreciated. (I'l try and post some pics of the top end rebuild, and the first start video as well lol. Lot's of fun.)

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Rear end/Forks
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 01:12:06 PM »
Buy a KX250F with a blown motor and put your motor into the frame.
Best way to make KDX's handle better. ;D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:59:08 PM »
Service the forks,swingarm bearings and linkage as required depending on the conditions you ride in.It's a lot of work and expensive when this stuff starts to fail and you need to replace parts. ;D

Offline JE97

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 05:21:17 AM »
Yeah TMKIWI. I have been considering that for a long time. Alot of guys over a KDXrider.net have done that, and it makes a world of difference. If you tune the motor right and take it racing, it is THE four stroke killer. Because it has the low end torque of a 4 Joke, and the powerband of a smoker.. The perfect machine.

Yeah Sachs I can imagine it would be quite pricey. I suppose I will look into a bearing kit for the rear end. And do some research on forks lol..

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 06:35:16 AM »
download a manual, it'll have the step by steps instructions for servicing the fork and swingarm bearings, you also should look into revalving and springing the the fork and shock for your weight, Race Tech Gold Valves will make that bike ride like a dream, with springs and fluids it'll run around $500 for the whole shabang
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline JE97

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 06:38:09 PM »
Sorry for the late bump, and thank's for the replies guys. Unfortunately, I just lost my job.. The goodies are gonna have to wait.. :/

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 12:04:12 AM »
Well I have been looking into this myself now for the last six months. The rear shock is decent and the front forks suck. The best way to fix this is doing is either making a hybrid or using different set of forks (KX125/250/500). A hybrid seems to be the best answer, and I am currently debating about doing one.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 12:13:07 AM by factoryX »

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 07:20:05 AM »
I have a 2003 KDX200. I weigh 210# and just going with some fresh fork oil helped A LOT. To me the worst part about the front forks is they have way too much underhang (lots of roots, rocks, and ruts here). But other wise even with just new oil they worked better. I ride with some pretty fast guys, so it's not like I am just putting around. A hybrid build or even KX fork swap would be really nice, but that's a lot of cash that I just can't justify spending.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 07:34:45 AM »
A hybrid build or even KX fork swap would be really nice, but that's a lot of cash that I just can't justify spending.
Exactly.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 08:06:06 AM »
I would have to find a roller for $100-200 tops for me to jump on the hybrid or fork swap band wagon. Every once in awhile I have seen one for that price. However, I either didn't have the KDX yet or I was broke (usually broke LOL).
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline JE97

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 10:36:15 PM »
Yeah A hybrid would be awesome if I could find a really cheap roller. I have spent alot of time over at www.kdxrider.net, which I am sure alot of you guys are familiar with, and you can find answers to just about anything involving a KX-DX (as they have been dubbed over there) hybrid build. Would be alot of fun.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 10:58:59 PM »
Oh it would be, having a 200cc MX/XC mod bike would give you everything you could want. Its very tempting, and you could actually pay for the build by selling parts off the kdx as they are getting rare, and by selling the motor off the hybrid bike. Some people have actually made money by doing this.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:44:21 PM by factoryX »