Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Air-Cooled Engine in Modern Frame  (Read 6246 times)

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
Air-Cooled Engine in Modern Frame
« on: January 12, 2011, 01:04:24 PM »
I think someone on this site was talking about this type of build not too long ago, I can't remember who it was.  This looks like a great project to me!!

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/project/project-24-getting-an-aircooled-motor-in-a-4stroke-frame-53113.html

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Air-Cooled Engine in Modern Frame
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 05:15:38 PM »
I've done this a number of times and it's a lot of fun - both building the motorcycle and playing around with them afterwards. ;D

Offline DangisMX

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 02:15:51 AM »
I would like to ask if there are any advantages that an air cooled motor has over a liquid cooled one?

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 05:07:21 AM »
I would think simplicity of both the engine and parts required for the build, are the main advantages. Plus it's kind of cool to see an old air cooled engine in a modern chassis. Well, cool to me anyway haha.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 09:25:38 AM »
The old aircooled motors don't stand a chance compared to the modern liquid cooled motors performance wise (obviously) but they are fun.Just like watching "On ANY Sunday" ,as soon as I hear the exhaust note and feel the different vibration of the motor I'm transported back to an earlier,simpler time in my life.All the old aircooled motors ask for is a piston and maybe some clutch plates now and then,quite the opposite of the "Nasa spec." maintenance regiment that modern racing 4Ts require.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 03:33:46 PM »
Less power,old technology-what's not to like? :D It's not very logical,but on the other hand,it would be a cool project just because it is.I'd do it if time allowed-and may yet at some point :)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 05:48:28 PM »
The old aircooled motors don't stand a chance compared to the modern liquid cooled motors performance wise

Except the big bores, the 81 Maico 490 stood against the KTM 525.
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 05:53:36 PM »
With modern porting these motors are beasts.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 07:01:16 PM »
For me, the simplicity, appearance, and sound of the air-cooled engines are what do it.  I'm sure that liquid-cooled is much more effective (especially if you want to compare it to a late-model air-cooled engine, after they shaved the fins down by 50%).  However, the kind of riding I do generally involves higher average speeds and much lower average RPMs than motocross, so I simply don't need the extra cooling power.  The bike never gets particularly hot, why add moving parts and pump liquid to the top of the bike for cooling I don't need?  For someone making a serious bid at motocross racing victory, however, the situation is different.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 08:03:32 PM »
it depends on the bike, My dads 81 atc250r would get so hot that it would start dieseling.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 08:33:19 PM »
For me, the simplicity, appearance, and sound of the air-cooled engines are what do it.  I'm sure that liquid-cooled is much more effective (especially if you want to compare it to a late-model air-cooled engine, after they shaved the fins down by 50%).  However, the kind of riding I do generally involves higher average speeds and much lower average RPMs than motocross, so I simply don't need the extra cooling power.  The bike never gets particularly hot, why add moving parts and pump liquid to the top of the bike for cooling I don't need?  For someone making a serious bid at motocross racing victory, however, the situation is different.

That's why I like my '89 YZ490, simple air cooled engine and fairly modern chassis.
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline DangisMX

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 02:06:49 AM »
I see. Well I definitely understand why you guys like air cooled engines then :). But what about overheating? If it does happen, do you get any warnings? I mean, when driving around on a liquid cooled engine, if it gets too hot, your antifreeze boils and you get steam coming from the radiator bleed hose, that's a good sign to take it easy for a while. But what about air cooled engines?

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 06:48:50 AM »
You would just start losing power.  Most amateur MX races are in the 15 minute range, and unless it was really hot outside, an air-cooled motor would be fine.  At pro speeds for 35 minutes, it would be a different story.  I think the biggest advantage would be for the guy that rides way out into the boonies - what happens to him on a water-cooled bike if cut cuts a coolant line or smashes a radiator?  Could be a long push back....

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 07:46:49 AM »
I think the purpose of the project is to illustrate just how complicated and expensive modern racing fourstrokes have become.You can't get much simpler then an aircooled 2T and I think Super Hunky is trying to hammer home the point that the sport is headed in the wrong direction. :-X

Offline DangisMX

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 09:20:01 AM »
MXLord327- Ah ok, I see. Thanks for the info.  :)