Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Bleeding a hydraulic clutch?  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Bioflex

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Bleeding a hydraulic clutch?
« on: July 23, 2011, 02:15:31 AM »
Just threw in a new top end on my Tm 125 the other day, never having done it on this bike the job still only took half a day all up.
Really is a joy to work on, radiators were left on and thanks to the intake ports going into the bottom end, the carby and reed valve was left in tact, all of which makes the job a lot easier.

The clutch has always felt a bit spongy so while there I thought Id change all the fluid.
First thing I noticed was the fluid was like mud so I took off the hydraulic line, got all fluid out of the master cylinder and slave (where the bleed nipple attachs) and blew out all the gunk with compressed air.

All went well until i tried to get lever pressure. Topping up the master cylinder it seems like no fluid is being  pumped through. Now, my first thought is that the master cylinder is stuffed but further reading suggests filling from the bottom while using a syringe to pump fluid in is necessary.

I will try this method but I'm not convinced, if anyone has any tips on doing hydraulic clutches it would be appreciated. 

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Bleeding a hydraulic clutch?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 07:51:45 AM »
When I replace the juice in my KTM, I back bleed the clutch.  Go to a feed store and purchase a plastic syringe (used for animals) and some plastic tubing.  The tubing need to fit snugly over the bleeder valve Clean the bleeder valve, and loosen the adjuster screw on the master cylinder.  Fill the syringe with the juice of your choice, push the tubing onto the bleeder valve and push the fluid through the bleeder into the master cylinder.  Remember to hang a bucket overt the bars to collect the overflow fluid. 

Hope this helps.  If you need assistance let me know.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 08:47:20 AM »
Bubbles "float" so hold the master cylinder vertically above the bike and back bleed with a syringe.Tap the entire assembly and pump the clutch lever to dislodge bubbles.With more stubborn clutches I will sometimes crack the banjo fitting at the master cylinder (while pumping) to get fluid moving. ;D

Offline Bioflex

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 05:32:01 PM »
Cheers guys, I'll give it a go and let you know if I have any dramas.

Offline Bioflex

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 01:52:45 AM »
Thanks guys, I followed the instructions and got new fluid through the whole system very easily.
Undoing the connection to the master did help, once that flowed through it was a cinch.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 05:52:24 AM »
Good to hear you got it working  :) .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 08:57:54 AM »
Glad to her you got it sorted out.  Like many things, at first it seems like a daunting task, but after you do it, you look back and think, that wasn't bad at all.  Plus you have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 10:36:53 AM »
I have a vintage International pickup with a hydraulic clutch and the old truck is so well designed that you simply top up the master cylinder,let it sit over night, and the next morning the Binder is ready to go. :)