Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: A peek at the MicroBlue Technology in action  (Read 8784 times)

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: A peek at the MicroBlue Technology in action
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 10:57:40 AM »
The three real questions are:

1. How much does this cost, i.e. if I tore my motor down how much would it cost me to coat the cylinder, rings, rode, bearings, gears, etc.

2. What does this do for the lifespan of the engine.  i.e. will it make it last longer or just give it increased HP for a period of time or do nothing more than the same life span as current just don't have to use as much conventional oil as you normally do.  How long do the rings last in this setup.

3. How long can the bike run before it needs re-coated (how long does the coating last)? Different from #2, in #2 I'm asking when I need to replace the top end or bearings.

Maybe these were already answered but I missed them.

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 10:59:05 AM »
oh ya, #1 needs a breakdown:

A. Preperation cost (i.e. clyinder smoothing, bearings anything needs done? or special bearings only).

B. Cost of coating components (cylinder coating, etc.)

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline teriks

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2010, 11:47:43 AM »

Boundry layers are very important in maintaining high duct velocities, airflow inside an engine is very turbulent boundry layers assist in overcoming  some of the turbulence.
As good as any cylinder filling is the pipe has to plug more back into the cylinder anyway.
Rings require gas pressure behind them to seal.
In the end if it works and drops lap times and increases dyno numbers who really cares?
I do, I'm one of those that just have to know why.

I'm pretty sure that the surface finish it self has no measurable effect on the flow inside the engine.
First off, I highly doubt that they coat anything but moving parts (well, plus the cylinder bore). If that assumption is true, then there's not much "wet" surface that can change the flow characteristics (wow, did I spell that correctly?).
Secondly, a really smooth surface can only delay the boundary layer going from turbulent to laminar flow. -I'm pretty sure that the flow inside a two-stroke engine is well in the turbulent regime, no matter what surface finish. Corrections are welcome :)