Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: OK, all set for a great race tomorrow at Red Bud! GO Project 250!!!  (Read 8489 times)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: OK, all set for a great race tomorrow at Red Bud! GO Project 250!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 03:01:30 PM »
No apologies necessary John. When you race, things like this happen. I agree, for Mike, missing the first practice was a huge disappointment I am sure. But you did not disappoint your fans, at least not this one. When I got that twitter about the broken clutch cover my only thought was "Mike must be freaking out".  Now you guys have one under your belts and know what to expect now. Unadilla will be easier now. Not the riding part of course, but the nerves, not knowing what to expect, etc.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 07:59:52 PM »
Firstly, I want to thank all of you for your amazing outpouring of support. It really helps.

I wanted to clarify something as well... it's about the "fast" lap that Mike did take (the 2:39)... at best he was riding at about 80% of what he is capable of. Anyone watching could see that he was trying to learn the track if they watched closely.

He only hit the double in the back once... between learning the track and needing some adjustments on the bike, he was just getting ready to put his head down for a fast lap wen practice was over.

It really seemed that the 15 minute practice went by super fast!!

When we checked the results at the AMA tent, Mike was listed as qualifying 75 out of 80, which really does not show what could have been. My observation with watching Mike race is that he could have knocked off at least 12 seconds from the lap time they had listed. Which means he certainly would have qualified.

This trip was a very, very expensive lesson for all of us.

Unless you actually have done this you have no idea of the costs involved. Just sign up alone was $200. pit passes are $40. per person. That's just to get into the race. Then take into account fuel, tolls, food and other misc. items and you are talking about an effort requiring a great deal of money.

That's the reason that we were all so disappointed. Even if he qualified and finished 40th in the motos we would have been so happy.

We will be in the bid show at Unadilla!

Did I mention that 'dilla is Mike's favorite track??
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2010, 08:57:08 PM »
Gotta say can not wait for Unadilla. That will make a big difference if he has done plenty of laps around unadilla compared to red bud, which I am assuming he has never ridden before. Should give him plenty of confidence sitting on a start gate that he is familiar with.

You are making a much bigger difference than you probably realise. Keep up the amazing work, and help to continue to lift the profile of the two strokes !!!!!!!!!
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2010, 05:55:41 AM »
I am stuck driving my mother-in-law to Ohio the 17th, or I would be making a road trip to NY.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline motomike894

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2010, 08:58:15 AM »
You are not kidding John, its insane how much the AMA charges pro's to race, it should be free or close to it in my opinion.

Pro license - $275
Entry - $200
Passes - $40
Fuel - who knows??
Then you have to make sure all your gear has the right logo on it and everything right, as well as numbers, etc. on your bike that stuff isnt a huge deal but it adds up to if you dont have help with it.

I had been thinking about racing steel city if my leg allowed me too, but doubt Ill have the money to do so, but I am going either way too watch.