Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Hey, I Made This!  (Read 10223 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Hey, I Made This!
« on: May 08, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
This was a school project for Physics last year.  I guess it's more about engineering than it is physics, but it's still fairly cool, I think.  Especially considering that I made this without a video card in my computer.

Physics of the Ride

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline DangisMX

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Re: Hey, I Made This!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 02:09:10 AM »
Wow great video :). Very well explained. That thing is noisy :D.

There's a thing that goes up and down here, and then it spins this, and this spins another thing... :D

Offline rookie

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 02:27:41 AM »
great animation!!

great "smoker", it really gives out alot of smoke!   :P

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 03:18:38 AM »
Primary drive chain on a Husky ????
Great video.....till the last 15 sec when you started it up and road that rattler down the street without a helmet on.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 03:42:18 AM »
Great vid. well done.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 01:27:43 PM »
I used the chain drive because that whole engine animation was supposed to be a 440 Maico, 1978.  But, when it came time to make the video, I thought I might as well use my animation to demonstrate, so I did.  You might also notice that the clutch is most emphatically not a Maico clutch, that's because I couldn't figure out how one works when making the video, so I made a Honda clutch because that's what Opferman used in his video on how clutches work.  Turns out to be the same sort of clutch Husky uses.

And seriously, unless I somehow hit a garbage truck, there's no need for a helmet on a 15 second ride.  Besides, my helmet was in the trailer, which was a half-hour drive away, at my dad's house.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline wexy21

• Junior
  • 2nd place is 1st loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 10:16:01 PM »
you should wear your helmet, boots, gloves, goggles, chest protector, kidney belt, and knee pads on EVERY single ride, EVER!  And NEVER ever never ride your bike without checking the bolts, chain, tire pressure, air filter, and  gas.....or you will wreck every time.  Even on a 15 second ride.  Got it:)
02 Cr125
02 Crf450
03 Polaris 250 Trailblazor
98 Buell S1WL

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 11:01:15 PM »
you should wear your helmet, boots, gloves, goggles, chest protector, kidney belt, and knee pads on EVERY single ride, EVER!  And NEVER ever never ride your bike without checking the bolts, chain, tire pressure, air filter, and  gas.....or you will wreck every time.  Even on a 15 second ride.  Got it:)
It looks like I've been put in my place by someone who can do nose wheelies in his shorts while sporting a No.1 plate. Let me guess you also wear your fox jersey to the mall so everyone nows you are hard core. I just don't get why went to the effort of putting everything else on ?
At least Jetz didn't cop out and stayed true to total insanity and was completly safety gear free, you my freind are just a pretender.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 11:46:11 PM »
At the end of the day, it's extremely important to always be a little bit redneck.  All of the least interesting people I know have gone to great pains to ensure that no redneckism remains in their lives.  My idea of a perfect life is one in which you can make $100,000 per year Monday-Friday, but still drive the General Lee and eat Hot Dogs with Bacon on Saturday and Sunday.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 07:45:57 AM »
During my last stay in the hospital I got to know two fellow patients, one 19 years old and the other in his early 70's. Both had suffered severe brain injuries in a helmetless 10 second ride on an ATV. The older man,whom was in the same room as me for 6 weeks (and became a freind). has since died and the young kid is "screwed" for the rest of his life. I myself have broken over 30 bones, have partial paralysis in my right arm and have suffered a brain injury (I am convinced I am Cary Grant but therapy is addressing that issue). Not one of my injuries occured while in competition and each time I was wearing excellent gear. I don't mean to lecture but I can't emphasis enough the importance of safety and wearing proper safety gear. Your life can be turned upside down in the blink of an eye. We have just lost Danny Chandler and I can't imagine what he went through.

Offline DangisMX

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 09:58:16 AM »
I agree that you should be careful but not to a point where even if you go out for just a short spin you put on full gear. If I'm working on my bike and I just want to try it out, see how it runs, I know i wont be going flat out or jumping, so I just put on a helmet, goggles, gloves and boots. If I go practicing then I get in full gear. I Never ride without a helmet and boots though :\. I suppose in theory you must do everything you can to minimize danger, but life was never very logical, otherwise people would wear protective suits when crossing a street because they can get hit by a car, or even worse, trip and fall on the sidewalk! :D. Again, I would never ride without a helmet at least, but to each his own...

Offline KTMguy

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 02:26:15 PM »
Word, you can't live your life in a plastic bubble. Just use a little common sense.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 08:41:57 PM »
For what it's worth, the caption was true.  That WAS a closed-course, so no surprises.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 10:19:47 PM »
God save the redneck.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline wexy21

• Junior
  • 2nd place is 1st loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 09:19:26 PM »
It looks like I've been put in my place by someone who can do nose wheelies in his shorts while sporting a No.1 plate. Let me guess you also wear your fox jersey to the mall so everyone nows you are hard core. I just don't get why went to the effort of putting everything else on ?
At least Jetz didn't cop out and stayed true to total insanity and was completly safety gear free, you my freind are just a pretender.

DUDE.....chill out, it's called sarcasm.  I'm a retired moto-x'r and know the value of safety gear.  Why so pissy?  I was going to write more, something like.....awsome video, great job, don't listen to guys who yell at you to put your helmet on for a 15 sec ride up the street, but damn.... I just guessed that you knew I was laughing with you instead of against you.
02 Cr125
02 Crf450
03 Polaris 250 Trailblazor
98 Buell S1WL