Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Interesting......  (Read 3734 times)

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Interesting......
« on: September 07, 2010, 05:04:14 PM »
If true.Given that Yamaha still sells 2t's and given  KTM's offroad 2t popularity it makes sense-to me anyway.We'll see.....http://www.woodsracer.com/portal/forums/showthread.php?10503-Yamaha-finally-stepped-up
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting......
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 05:44:31 PM »
I have said it before and will say it again.
I think they would sell truck loads. ;D
Local rider Rory Mead has been racing a YZ250 for a few years now doing extreme events like Roof of Africa ( I think he came 2nd last year or year before) & Erzberg.
I plan on doing a offroad version myself for my next project.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:55:06 PM »
I'm gonna do what I see a lot of Americans do on a lot of other sites and call BS on that one. I do NOT see them releasing a two stroke enduro machine. One, they have no money and haven't even developed their four stroke range, so there is no way they are going to touch the two strokes, especially for enduro reasons. Their four stroke enduro machines have not changed in four, sorry, now five years. And Yamaha are not a company to just go and bolt a bunch of accessories onto a motocross bike and claim it is an all new "Enduro" model. So, while their are a lot of dreamers out there, SORRY THIS AINT GOING TO HAPPEN !!!

Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 08:45:59 PM »
And Yamaha are not a company to just go and bolt a bunch of accessories onto a motocross bike and claim it is an all new "Enduro" model. So, while their are a lot of dreamers out there, SORRY THIS AINT GOING TO HAPPEN !!!

That's pretty much what they used to do with the IT series... But I'll still believe it when I see it... and I still won't be able to afford it   >:(
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 02:20:53 AM »
I'd love to see them bring back the IT name, now that you mention them.  Like everyone else said I'll believe it when it's in the brochure, but I wouldn't say it's not going to happen.  The main point of reasoning seems to be that they haven't updated the four-strokes, so of course they won't do anything to the two-strokes.  But the "four-stroke-first" policy is something that is really rooted in the pre-2008 boom years.  Now that Yamaha is having YZ's being sold off the second they hit the floor, they may be reconsidering their priorities.  If they do release a YZ250-based enduro, I think it will mean that they are shifting their business priorities over our way.  So it remains to be seen whether they'll actually do it, but if they do, it's a good sign for all of us, even if we never plan on touching an enduro machine.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 04:49:44 AM »
I'll believe it when I see it....  but they have everything they need to produce such a bike.  No new R&D required no new tooling, etc.  Basically add a lighting coil, (which will add additional flywheel weight) a head light and tail light, bark busters, maybe different tranny gears...  WAMO a new bike for the off road masses... 
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline helfrick15205

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 05:00:57 AM »
this is not the first i have heard of this. dirtrider 2010 yz 250 test hints at the same thing.

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/web_extra/141_1008_2010_yamaha_yz250_first_test/yz_250_bike_specs.html

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 05:43:34 AM »
With news like this you have to be very careful... the way that it was written on the other forum it only says YZ250. There is nothing except the writers thought that it would be the two-stroke.

As an example at Unadilla in 2009 I asked one of the Yamaha reps about the new YZ250, he didn't even blink an eye, but assumed that I was talking about the F model... when questioned directly about the two-stroke he only said that he didn't know.

Yes Yamaha has all the pieces required to update and/or build an enduro two-stroke model, but the question remains... why would they?
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 10:47:27 AM »
Yes Yamaha has all the pieces required to update and/or build an enduro two-stroke model, but the question remains... why would they?

Because they would sell a lot of them.... 
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 11:55:56 AM »
If the YZ250 had more availability in the US, that would be a hell of a business opportunity - buy a truckload of them and make the necessary enduro mods and sell them!!

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 01:41:27 PM »

Well KTM sell something like 30% of their total sales in offroad bikes.
Go to a offroad race and there is a hell off alot off Orange bikes.
Why wouldnt a Japanese manufactor want a piece of the action ?
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 12:38:25 PM »
I know it!!  The Maine National Enduro started 2 miles from my house 2 weeks ago, and ran on a bunch of the trails I ride.  My estimate is that about 75% of the field was on KTM's and of those, probably 75% were 2 strokes.  Side note - those guys are so fast in nasty tight stuff that it is scary!!!

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 03:42:27 AM »
I can easily see them doing it precisely because of though times in the industry.As John said,they already have all the pieces so the development/design/production investment would be virtually zero.If you could increase market share from selling a pre-existing  model with pre-existing parts,why would you not?
Besides,who among us wouldn't want a better KTM? :D
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline Paul P

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 04:39:41 PM »
They will sell them all in the NorthEast. Went riding last weekend, was the only 2-stroke rider. One 450 scattered it's guts on the trail (literally). His riding is done until he gets another bike! It was that bad. Also, I could not believe how many kicks it took all the other 4T riders to all get going at the same time! It was like a Keystone Cops comedy.
    One kick all day long with my CR250. All of them (6) said they want a 2 stroke again.                   
                                                      Paul