Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: yz 250 sparkplugs  (Read 5292 times)

Offline fabbo

• Novice
    • View Profile
yz 250 sparkplugs
« on: July 11, 2011, 03:20:17 AM »
Hi guys and gals out there in twostroke land.

I have a really annoying problem with fouling plugs they last barely a couple of hours or so, in the middle of a ride we will stop for a break and no start have to change the plug and then fine. the riding I do is between desert riding high speed 80 % of the time and some hill climbs nothing drastic and high speed trails I live in the desert. My bike is a 2001 yz 250 oil rato is 30:1 even tried 40:1 no difference the oil I use is yamalube and is manufactured by Yamaha, having said this my son in law has a KTM 200 2010 model he uses motul oil and does the same riding as me and has the same problems with his bike we buy the spark plugs 40 at a time between us, here in Oz the plugs are worth $17-00 each they are an NGK BR8EG

Q. can the plugs be cleaned and if so how? I have tried putting the old plugs back in they do not work at all, they look brand new as well.

any constructive feedback is appreciated

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: yz 250 sparkplugs
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 04:11:42 AM »
You can soda blast them and they'll be good for another go around.
How do the look when you take them out? White and dry, black and wet?
You could have a leaky crank seal, filter grease melting and getting sucked in, too much oil on your filter, too lean jet main jet or too rich main jet.
It's hard to determine, but my bet is that your crank seal is weeping, had the same problem with my 1990 at it's 10 year Bday
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline fabbo

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 04:55:18 AM »
thanks for the info may be to much air filter oil both of us soak our filters and then alow them to drip excess back in container and
i often have to ring it some more and i have noticed air filter oil under the bikes hopefully this is the problem we have to clean our filters every ride because of the dusty conditons we ride in.I never had this problem before when i lived on the East coast conditions were very different and a lot more humid less dust and only went through one or two plugs a year will definitely look at air filter oil first

Offline fabbo

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 04:56:40 AM »
sorry black and wet

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 05:30:29 AM »
thanks for the info may be to much air filter oil both of us soak our filters and then alow them to drip excess back in container and
i often have to ring it some more and i have noticed air filter oil under the bikes hopefully this is the problem we have to clean our filters every ride because of the dusty conditons we ride in.I never had this problem before when i lived on the East coast conditions were very different and a lot more humid less dust and only went through one or two plugs a year will definitely look at air filter oil first
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline streaks383

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 08:19:56 AM »
you can also clean them off with a wire wheel and they will work again.  Why are spark plugs so much there? Would it be cheaper to have someone here buy them for you and mail them over to you.  I have been running champion brand they work as well as ngk, no difference and they are under $3 US.  Check the filter and if that does not work take your main jet one size smaller.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:21:35 AM by streaks383 »

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 04:32:12 PM »
I use the BR8EG's and change it once per year whether it needs it or not.
Use proper filter oil.Avoid spray on like the plague.The real thing is tacky and won't run off.Pour some on and work it in with your hands until the filter is evenly covered(as you can see by the colour).After that,put a rag inside the filter and cover the outside with another rag-then give it a good squeeze again to get rid of the rest of the excess.What you have left is more than enough.
A fouled spark plug can be cleaned and used in a pinch but it's never the same again.You can wire brush it,blast it or spray cleaner on it but you'll never get it back to pre fouled performance-and it will foul again much more easily.If you still have issues,you're likely jetted too rich for your conditions.Oil ratio won't foul a plug.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 06:11:25 AM »
It's not your pre-mix, so you can stop messing with that. I run 32:1 in ALL my bikes, and never foul plugs. Start with properly oiling your air filter then make sure your silencer packing is new. Then make sure your crank seals are good. You can check easily enough by pulling the stator cover and if there's oil in there that side is leaking. And if your crank case oil is "disappearing" then the clutch side seal is leaking. Once you are sure all that is good, look to your jetting. No sense in trying to jet a bike when there is another issue fouling up your results.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Dirtsaw

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 10:42:01 AM »
1st thing I'd do is quit using yamalube.  No matter what bike I've used it on plugs foul within the hour.  Every friend of mine that has used it has the same problem.  They should quit making it.  That stuff just plain out sux.  Never had one problem with amsoil interceptor.  Had sticking rings with redline, carbon build up with maxima 927, and a little buildup with super M.  Never a prob with amsoil though.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 01:22:20 PM »
Oh no not another debate on oils. ???
It is not the oil that is fouling your plug.
Check what everybody else has said.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 02:22:01 PM »
I use the br8es I've had the same plug in since last june. And I believe its 3.99?

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 10:03:35 PM »
You  are gettin ripped with ya plugs fabbo, i live in perth and im sure i pay about $4 for the same type, its only the iridium plugs n stuff they try charge heaps for, hope ya get ya problem sorted i know how painful it can be.....
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline fabbo

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 07:15:27 PM »
Hi Scottydog
could you please tel me where you buy the sparkplugs so i can order some

thankyou

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 08:51:15 PM »
I bought my last one from clem nunn but he closed down, you could try extreme motorbikes, i got one off them aswell for bout the same price but that was a while ago.
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 09:54:58 PM »
here in Oz the plugs are worth $17-00 each they are an NGK BR8EG

I pay $27 for BR8EIX plugs. :o

At least I only change it once a year out of habit.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough