Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: KTM 150 vs. TM 144  (Read 6173 times)

Offline wintrader

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Re: KTM 150 vs. TM 144
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 08:43:02 AM »
I do not think tm is into making cheap things. they are italians! As long as it is beautifully made. Italians are often in making something with the heart in stead of saving money. Most of the time those manufacturers go bankrupt and after a while they start again. TM has been a long term surviver i think. I own a lot of Italian products and sometimes they brake down but who cares. Fun to ride and nice to look at.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 09:01:03 PM »
Every one should try to at least once ride a tm. The power delivery is very addictive thats for sure.
I get lots of requests from people wanting to ride mine but i have had to politely turn most down.
Otherwise i wouldnt get to ride the damn thing myself.
The expression on the faces of the few people i have let have a go are priceless. :D Generaly followed by f***ingh*ll thats quick.
Mine still has the steel frame with oval tubes that look pretty trick.
They are certainly well built with plenty of billet parts but are also reliable.
The resale over here is not to good, but if you are going to keep one for awhile it doesnt matter.
That good thing with that is you can pick up a 1-2 year old one for less then a KTM or Yamaha.

If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 07:32:51 AM »
I wish I could find a used one. These bikes are pretty rare, expecially a 144. I can't see anyone wanting to sell a used one. I have seen some KTM 144s that were not running for about $3000.

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 10:00:05 AM »
How  are  they  building  the engine ? If  there  stroked  and  borred  that,s  good, if  there  just  overborred  that,s  not  as  good.  Are  they  beefing up  2nd  tru 4th  gears, to  handle  the  extra  power, just  wondering.  The  TM,s  motor  sounds  great, same  range  as   the  125  mid  and up. My  favorite   power range.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 07:32:25 PM »
From what I understand TM is part of a diversified industrial conglomerate and they carefully manage production numbers to satisfy demand.

I've got an 02 TM 250 MX in my shop and I'm trying to rebuild the poor thing. The sasquatch that previously owned the bike used wood screws and SAE bolts to hold the gas tank on and the Ohlins rear shock shaft is bent into an "S" shape. Every linkage bolt is bent/siezed to the point where I'm having to drill or cut it out. What a nightmare! :o

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 05:00:00 AM »
From what I understand TM is part of a diversified industrial conglomerate and they carefully manage production numbers to satisfy demand.

Don't know for sure that they are an industrial conglomerate, what I heard is that it is a small family business.

The way they manage production and don't get into trouble like other manufacturers is they build the bikes when needed. So you get a hand built bike each and every time.

TM Racing does not just start up a production line a print out a bunch of bikes.

By the way the 144 TM is not just a punched out 125. It is a purpose built 144 with different lower end altogether.
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline wintrader

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 06:11:41 AM »

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 08:10:50 AM »
The term conglomerate may have given the wrong impression.I have it from a reliable source that the owners of TM also have other business interests that allow them to ride out the inconsistencies of the motorcycle industry.