Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: A stupid noob question??  (Read 10934 times)

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: A stupid noob question??
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 03:01:18 PM »
Yup, they got Bing's prior to Bing having a choke (I do have Bing's with chokes :) 

I've gotten the tickler to work but I don't know, I follow the same exact method and I get 1, 2 or 3, so unpredicible I gave up and usually 1 and 3 :) 

Before the blowing in the carb method those bikes were impossible to start cold, had to either drift start or put gas in the cylinder if I couldn't get the tickler to start. 

Then I saw this video, tried it and couldn't believe it but that it actually works without fear of flooding and works every time :)

How to start a 2 stroke Big Bore Motocross Bike

He is even doing it on bikes with Chokes, but I never had a problem with a big bore with a choke, they usually start in a few kicks.

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 04:01:34 PM »
My dad's '78 440 was always a bear to start.  We had a hard time figuring it out because it ran so unbelievably perfect, but there's a new theory that I think should solve the problem.  In all honesty I don't know enough about it to tell you what it is, something about the carburetor screws being set weird.  But another interesting thing about the 440 is that it's got a Bing with a tickler AND a choke.  And, believe it or not, dad prefers the tickler.  I've never used one because my bikes have always had chokes (one of which puts the choke lever on the handlebars) so I really don't have much of an opinion on the wildly one-sided choke vs tickler debate.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 04:16:59 PM »
Those that can figure out the tickler say its better than the choke.  My 83 has both, but I never touch the tickler.
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 05:30:14 PM »
I have 2 bikes that do not have chokes, they have what you call a tickler.  The tickler does one of three things.

1. Nothing
2. Primes the engine so it can start
3. Floods the engine

I have found that it's usually 1 & 3 for me, I've never mastered the art of cocegas.  

So, for those bikes I have a most unusual starting method.  I take a hose and blow into the overflow for a few seconds.  Then I just kick it with the throttle closed and it usually starts within a kick or two.

How to start a KTM 495

#'s 1 & 3.....LMFAO :D :D :D Just like being in Amal country.

BTW braap, regardless of your conditions,if you can start without choke,you're too rich off the bottom for those conditions.

What should I do then? I mean i didnt think any harm would come from being a little bit rich. Im not fouling plugs either.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 05:56:15 PM »
I have 2 bikes that do not have chokes, they have what you call a tickler.  The tickler does one of three things.

1. Nothing
2. Primes the engine so it can start
3. Floods the engine

I have found that it's usually 1 & 3 for me, I've never mastered the art of cocegas.  

So, for those bikes I have a most unusual starting method.  I take a hose and blow into the overflow for a few seconds.  Then I just kick it with the throttle closed and it usually starts within a kick or two.

How to start a KTM 495

#'s 1 & 3.....LMFAO :D :D :D Just like being in Amal country.

BTW braap, regardless of your conditions,if you can start without choke,you're too rich off the bottom for those conditions.

What should I do then? I mean i didnt think any harm would come from being a little bit rich. Im not fouling plugs either.

If you don't have a plug issue you won't be doing any real harm other than the fact you're losing performance.
Try here.......

http://twostrokemotocross.com/forum/index.php?topic=619.0
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.