Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Overtightened and torn 2 cyl head bolts. Please help!  (Read 10720 times)

Offline RedFoxCR

• Junior
    • View Profile
Re: Overtightened and torn 2 cyl head bolts. Please help!
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 11:13:25 AM »
Guys, i'm really sorry for not logging on for so long. My bad. I'm really grateful for every single bit of information you gave. Thaks a lot!!!

So, the situation is

I managed to screw out one bolt fragment drilling a small hole at the center of it and screwing there a special tool with right threads. However that didn't work out with the second one. I missed the center and made a hole half in bolt, half in cylinder meat. Screwing this shit out is just impossible, so i reassembled it with five bolts. O course the distribution of the force isn't very even and i have coolant slightly spraying outta head. However that doesn get into the bore cause the compression is still perfect.

MAybe it's possible to drill the whole bolt w ten millimetter drill (the bolt is 8mm diameter) and cut new big threads&
Neytiri:Now you choose your CR 500R. This you must
feel - inside.If he also chooses you,move quick, like I showed.You will have one chance, Jake.
Jake:How will I know if he chooses me?
Neytiri:He will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 12:28:47 PM »
At this point, I pull it off, and go to a machinist.  They have the tools and equipment to fix the problem.  Nothing like the right tool for the job.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline Cheb44

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 04:02:56 PM »

I speak from experience please for the love of your engine block go to a machine shop, depending on how bad its screwed up it will only cost you about 30 bucks.

Btw as others have said make sure you use a torque wrench next time, head and cylinder bolts are probably the most important ones on your whole bike.