Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Brakes  (Read 8392 times)

Offline kawi250

• Junior
    • View Profile
Brakes
« on: May 09, 2010, 12:37:39 PM »
I was thinking of upgrading to the new oversized wavy rotors because i heard they actually make a noticeable difference, but was wondering if there was something else i should focus on first? Im injured and out for maybe another week and bored out of my mind. Im trying to find a way to have fin with my bike still so if anyone has done something the loved to their bike let me know! i already have a full pipe and reeds and thought brakes would be something that i use frequently that would make sense to upgrade.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Re: Brakes
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 03:33:49 PM »
Wave rotors are good as they equalize the swept area but on the other hand oversize rotors are more prone to damage.On yet another hand,my next rotors will be solid as they're better for pad wear in the goo-though heavier.On even another hand,I wouldn't pay too much attention to the above as it's likely just a myth perpetuated by sites like these ;)
Seriously,if you want to do something to your bike while you wait,how about blue plastic? ;D
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 04:32:41 PM »
Ford does speak with forked tongue... we don't perpetuate myths.. we bust 'em. lol  :P :P

Honestly, unless you are a top pro racer, you probably will not need the larger rotor. That is unless you really like to slow down really fast!

Depending on the riding that you do, what you are trying to accomplish, the composition of the dirt you ride on and so many other variables... wavy rotors or over sized ones could be a bad idea...

Besides I've always noticed an increase in power when adding new plastics and graphics...  :-* :-*
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 05:01:37 PM »
Especially a shade of blue eh John? 8) :D

Offline graham472

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 05:43:23 PM »
but was wondering if there was something else i should focus on first?

Suspension set-up

Offline kawi250

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 11:26:02 AM »
haha i actually just got a bunch of new plastics a seat cover and the 2010 monster one graphics and i have noticed quite a bit of power increase

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 01:47:56 PM »
but was wondering if there was something else i should focus on first?

Suspension set-up

What graham said.All joking aside,by far the best performance modification you will ever do is having your suspension done.Pro tech,race tech,mx tech,enzo,pc and a host of other name type suspension places do good work.Unless you knew the guy's work well,I'd be leary about just taking it to a bike shop and saying-have a go.One caveat-be honest about where you will be riding it and your abilities.The shops don't care what your abilities are,they just want it to work for you.If you're pro level mx then say it.On the other hand,if you're an old crippled fuc$ that rides like Helen Keller on acid(like me)say that too.You'll be way happier,and so will they,in the end.

Offline kawi250

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 06:27:38 PM »
haha il have to look into that. to be honest the suspension on my bike is far better then the last. when i bought it from the previous owner he had a friend set the suspension for my height and i think its still in really good shape. My bike was bought in 07 as a left over (bike is an 05) and ridden last year by a father just tagging along with his daughter. he sold it because the bike was to powerful for him. what exactly do the shops do? set you stiffness for you and replace the spring with better ones?

Offline kamakz28

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 07:11:41 AM »
Suspention setup  Compression @ Rebound +  sage is  very important and you have never done the setup no time better then when your board. Maintinace to all of the bike should be after every ride.  Releive built up pressure in forks after each ride. Clean chain all the reg. stuff . But Sunpention setup will  help to make a better rider.

Offline motoman465

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 12:14:43 PM »
Ford does speak with forked tongue... we don't perpetuate myths.. we bust 'em. lol  :P :P

Honestly, unless you are a top pro racer, you probably will not need the larger rotor. That is unless you really like to slow down really fast!

Depending on the riding that you do, what you are trying to accomplish, the composition of the dirt you ride on and so many other variables... wavy rotors or over sized ones could be a bad idea...

Besides I've always noticed an increase in power when adding new plastics and graphics...  :-* :-*

From my understanding, one of the biggest advantages of the wave rotors is that the wave pattern increases the area of the rotor resulting in less overheating...sort of like cylinder fins on an air-cooled motor!!!

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 06:21:43 PM »
It is my understanding that wave rotors even of equal to stock size increase braking power because there are more edges for the pads to bite versus a standard round rotor.That being said proper suspension and greaing of all bearings should be first as most late model bikes stop well from the factory.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 04:57:17 PM »
Not exactly.A wave rotor actually has less surface area than a standard one and as long as the rotor is true,the edges shouldn't bite at all or your pads would chew up in no time.They do tend to run a little cooler due to less surface area but the biggest advantage is that they  equalize pad wear resulting in a better brake.Where the wave is on the outer circumference,only part of the rotor is wearing on the outer part of the pads while the inner part of the pad has more  rotor surface running against it.On a standard rotor,the pads wear like a wedge due to the fact the outer section has more rotor wearing on it than the inner part.If you were to drive a stake in the ground and attach a 3ft rope to it and walk around 360' then attach a 6ft rope and do the same thing-you get the idea of the difference in distance traveled from the outer circumference as compared to the inner.
When the pads wear this way,you lose braking efficiency because the caliper piston is pushing straight out against a reasonably straight rotor by way of a irregular pad.Therefore,when the piston pushes the bottom edge of the pad hard against the rotor,the top part only has a partial force against it-due to the uneven wear-resulting in less overall braking force-and a spongy feel as well.A wave rotor eliminates most of this effect.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 04:58:55 PM by ford832 »