Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 06 rm250  (Read 4650 times)

Offline Dirt Addict

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
06 rm250
« on: August 22, 2010, 12:06:27 PM »
hey guys, my super reliabe, never has a problem rm is acting up. i was at the track yesterday and noticed the bike steaming from the over flow vent. i shut it down immediately. when it had cooled down i opened up the radiator, didnt see any coolant, so i started adding some. it took about a liter which means it was about empty. i then rode a couple more sessions.
today i drained it to refill it with fresh coolant. i only got out about .6 liters?
i havent checked the level in awhile, but it never overheated before. it has been hot weather. the last 5 times out its been over 100 degrees. ive got a couple races and practice days in there.
i drained the gear oil. nothing unusual. maybe more particulates in the oil. it's been 20 days since my last change and ive been racing in dusty conditions.
so what gives? where did the coolant go? do i have a problem or is it just the hi temps out?

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
Re: 06 rm250
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 12:17:55 PM »
I don't have much liquid cooling experience with bikes but I would think as long as you have airflow through the radiators outside temp wouldn't be an issue. I would suspect a head gasket leak possibly.
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline kev m

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 02:07:35 PM »
a had the same thing happen on my rm 125 years ago  the o rings in the cylinder head were shot

Offline Dirt Addict

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 05:27:03 PM »
a had the same thing happen on my rm 125 years ago  the o rings in the cylinder head were shot

thanks for the info.  did it show up in the gear oil?  or exhaust?

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 06:45:51 PM »
A bad cylinder head gasket/o-ring would not show up in the gear oil unless you have bigger problems than just the head gasket/o-rings. Is your exhaust smoke really white?
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 06:52:23 PM »
Check that water pump impellor as well.

Offline Dirt Addict

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 07:57:28 PM »
thanks guys.
 the exhaust looks normal!?!  how do i check the waterpump gasket?  wouldnt that show up in the gear oil if it was leaking?  btw it looks like i have good flow with the motor on, when the rad cap is off.
i should mention i have a big bore cylinder from Eric Gorr.  he uses a metal gasket instead of the 2 O-rings.  i don't know if that makes a difference or not.
please keep the ideas coming......

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
I was going to say check the water flow. but you say it has flow.?
My rm the impeller came of the shaft. :(
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 09:16:27 PM »
I've seen waterpump impellors spin on the shaft. You think coolant is still being circulated and yet when you rev the motor the shaft just spins in the impellor. It's always worth checking when you are trying to nail down a problem.

Offline CCOADY454

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 11:44:24 AM »
hey guys, my super reliabe, never has a problem rm is acting up. i was at the track yesterday and noticed the bike steaming from the over flow vent. i shut it down immediately. when it had cooled down i opened up the radiator, didnt see any coolant, so i started adding some. it took about a liter which means it was about empty. i then rode a couple more sessions.
today i drained it to refill it with fresh coolant. i only got out about .6 liters?
i havent checked the level in awhile, but it never overheated before. it has been hot weather. the last 5 times out its been over 100 degrees. ive got a couple races and practice days in there.
i drained the gear oil. nothing unusual. maybe more particulates in the oil. it's been 20 days since my last change and ive been racing in dusty conditions.
so what gives? where did the coolant go? do i have a problem or is it just the hi temps out?

Just a thought:  When you filled up your radiator did you star the motor and let coolant flow throught the motor, then add more?  If not, that could explain why you did't get out as much as you put in.  I could be wrong, so just ignore this if I am  :P.

Offline Dirt Addict

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »
no Coady, that is a good question.   i did run it after i refilled it.  the level remained the same.
i spoke with Eric Gorr.  He told me he uses a metal gasket and doesnt cut the cylinder for o-rings.  he is sending me a new head gasket and said to check the torque on it every couple of rides.  something to do with the copper washers being soft and coming loose?
ive ridden my bike hard for a couple years with just basic maintenence.  it's due for an overhaul, down to the frame cleaning/lubing.
hopefully the head gasket solves the problem....