Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: How often should i do a top end?  (Read 3589 times)

Offline joel95

• Novice
    • View Profile
How often should i do a top end?
« on: August 15, 2010, 01:48:32 AM »
Just wondering how often everybody dose there top end. When i bought my bike (2007 yz 125) it had apperently had a top end done and still needed to be run in. I'm now up to 16 hours...was thinking of doing it at 20 and then every 20hours after that, is that a good figure to go by?

Thanks.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Re: How often should i do a top end?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 04:53:19 AM »
That's a good number.It depends on what you're riding though as opposed to just time alone.I usually rering between piston changes.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 05:27:52 AM »
It truely depends on how hard you are the the engine, and if you keep the filter clean.  I like to use a compression tester as the basis for knowing when its time.  I test the compression after the top end is complete.  This give me a base line to measure from...  From time to time, throw the tester back into track the drop in compression.  I've always used the rule when i'm down 40 pound of pressure its time to redo the top end.

Just my $.02 worth.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 07:26:48 AM »
Joel if you do need the top end done by all means do the rings also! The last top end I did on my KTM I installed a Wiseco piston kit which comes with a piston,rings & circlip so in my book if you have to change your piston you should always re-ring the top end.
 As far as having 16 hours on your bike & rebuilding the top end @ the 20 hour mark leads me to believe that you either race MX on a regular basis or your running the ol' YZ like a scolded dog!
 If you feel like your bike needs a new top end it would be worth it to do a compression test on it like enprovenzano said before you buy a piston kit anyway.Damn my mouse is frozen i probably have to log out....

Offline Cheb44

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 04:06:17 PM »
I second the compression test method, I feel many of us do top-ends to often because we read somewhere we needed to do them all the time.

The compression test is the best indicator.  I changed mine about 40 lbs under as well.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 04:57:23 PM »
Check your compression first for sure. Also, you may not need to replace the piston, you may only need to replace the rings. I heard from a guy at the local riding area that if you want to keep your 125 competitive, change the rings every 10 hours, and the piston every 30
I'd rather be riding...