Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: KX60 shifting issue.  (Read 4414 times)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
KX60 shifting issue.
« on: August 06, 2010, 08:37:54 AM »
So the KX60 I just finished for my nephew is having a weird shifting issue. It downshifts perfectly. But once you shift from 1st to 2nd, from 2nd gear up the shifter sticks and you have to bump the shifter down 1/4" or so. Then it resets and shifts. I just replaced the return spring thinking it was weak and not returning the mechanism. The new spring didn't fix it. I took a quick video, my nephew is shifting on the other side and I was holding the assembly in (like the cover would do). You can see after second gear he has to bump the shift lever down to get the mechanism to to return to shift up again. Only on upshifts does it stick, downshifting is beautiful.  I guess I might just order a new gear change mechanism because everything else is new including the shift lever on the other side. The shaft is not bent I have checked it three times now. My nephew is dying to ride and I am getting irritated. In all my years of wrenching I've never been stumped before, LOL.

Any ideas? Please tell me what I am doing wrong because I am about to just make the bike a two speed, LOL.

- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: KX60 shifting issue.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 08:51:29 AM »
I can see that when it shifts up the spring doesn't go back full and it's not aligned anymore with the cam. 

I would say it's not aligned somewhere, either the spring (return spring is either set too wide or not aligned to return all the way down where it should be) or the shifter in relation to the cam.

The top shifter does sit outside of the cam but the bottom sits inside the cam. 

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 09:04:49 AM »
Is that spring supposed to be that wide around the shifter?  Usually the spring is crossed over each side of itself.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 11:12:31 AM »
That's how the manual shows. I think I am just ordering the new $30 shifting shaft/mechanism assembly and ruling that out because it is all assembled exactly like the service manual shows.

UPDATE: I put it all together and took it up in the field because I figured Nick was riding today because he wouldn't be shifting yet. The bike is now shifting perfectly so it was the spring, it just wasn't working since I didn't have the bike all assembled.

Nick rode and did awesome! Not one stall or crash. I got some pics and video I will post up later. I am one proud uncle!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 12:06:58 PM by Coop »

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 12:11:55 PM »
Nick rode and did awesome! Not one stall or crash. I got some pics and video I will post up later. I am one proud uncle!
[/quote]

As you should be...  Congrat's on a job well done.  Now will you be my adopted uncle, and build me a Service Honda KX500....  please...   ;D
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:30:43 PM »
Cool, ya those shifting mechanisms are hard to dry shift especially if everything is not together, there's always something that pops out of alignment.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 12:33:21 PM »
I tried to hold it together to test it, but obviously I failed at that, LOL. It's working great now. Thanks for the help.

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 08:31:22 AM »
Glad to hear ya got it sorted coop, i know how frustrating that kind of thing can be when you know you have done everything right.
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 08:32:26 AM »
I know how frustrating that kind of thing can be when you know you have done everything right.

Yeah I was about ready to kick it off the stand I was getting that frustrated.  ;D  :D

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 08:41:05 AM »

Yeah I was about ready to kick it off the stand I was getting that frustrated.  ;D  :D
[/quote]

hehe thats when you have to walk away and think happy thoughts :D :D
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250