Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Buying a used 2 stroke bike  (Read 2849 times)

Offline mchale2020

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Riding Pics
Buying a used 2 stroke bike
« on: September 18, 2011, 01:07:30 PM »
Hey all,

I'm looking in to getting a used 125 dirtbike. I've spent a lot of time riding four stroke sport bikes, but when it comes to two strokes, I'm kind of in the dark about the good and bad things I should be looking for. What are the things I need to keep an eye out for when checking out potential bikes?

Thanks!

Edit: Here's a little bit more clarity on my situation. Considering the service intervals of an average 125cc dirt bike, I'm not sure what route to take. Instead of spending about 1,000-1,500 on a used bike and be somewhere between having rebuild the suspension and possibly be looking at getting the top end checked at some point, I was thinking about taking that money and putting it towards my R6. It's got a valve check due in about 2,000 miles and I probably should be thinking about getting a new clutch as well. I also had the suspension rebuilt last year and it will probably be due for another service next summer depending on whether or not I make it to any more track days in the next few months. I've also been thinking about buying a set of race bodywork since the cost of plastics alone is about the same as what a headlight unit costs for my bike, not including all the other pieces like the stay and upper cowl and those are things that can get trashed pretty easily at any track day mis-hap. Then their's also the head and wheel bearings which will probably need to be serviced sooner or later.

So the decision is to either take the money and invest it in my R6 so as to be in really good shape for a long time or take a chance on buying an older dirt bike and hope it doesn't turn into a money pit. I guess in a perfect world a used dirt bike wouldn't be so chancey but so many of them get abused for so long I'm really afraid I might end up with someone else's basket case. It's a shame because a local MX track opened up not too far from where I live and I was thinking about what I could learn riding there, which is why I like riding so much. I'd probably spend a fraction of the money riding out in the dirt as what it costs to do a day on asphalt, given that neither machine doesn't fall apart haha.

Anyway, the season is winding down and all the crazy people in cars and trucks aren't cutting me any slack so I'm not racking up miles on my R6. I guess for now I'll just keep an eye on Craigslist for any possibly good deals and sit on the money I've saved while I make my mind up. Anyone have any advice?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 07:20:34 PM by mchale2020 »

Offline overthebars

• Junior
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a used 2 stroke bike
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 09:04:48 PM »
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 09:13:38 PM by overthebars »

Offline pushdogg

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 08:23:25 AM »
it sounds like you have your hands full with your road bike, you could easily spend $500 a year on just the bare minimum for a dirtbike. i wont say its a huge financial dive, but its definetly something that you get out of it what you put in.
98 rm125
89 yz490(work in progress)

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 05:43:58 AM »
I'm a maintenance whore... I don't get the opportunity to ride as often as I like, so I maintain my bike to ensure it will perform as expected every time out.  So no my bike doesn't get many hours, but every nut, bolt, bearing is checked, an if suspect it gets replaced.  Yes in some cases it may be over kill, but that's me.  I'm on one extreme, but I've seen many clapped out bikes, that just keep running inspite of their owners lack of maintenance.  Most on here are the type that keep up on their bike maintenance.  I'm always cruising CL for a gem that I can buy cheap, clean-up / repair and flip.  Going into the colder months is the time to buy if you have the available funds.  Over the winter months, you will have a chance to correct / fix the bike and be ready for spring.

Just my $.02

Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline oldermxr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 01:21:40 PM »
mchale it's really up to what you love doing more street riding or dirt riding? either route you decide on your going to have some sort or money involved and the up keep of the bike. So it's really what is inside that you love doing more....myself I been racing motocross since 1976 and you couldn't tear me away from it it's in my blood and it's been the most fun i've ever had. And i'll keep doing it till I can't through that leg over the bike anymore. You can get a million replies to your question/advice but in the end it's all up to you.

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 03:02:52 AM »
The thing is, you can have your cake and eat it too. Yes a modern racing thumper is an expensive project and if you were to go that route, the only answer is the 450 class bikes. The 250 class bikes are just wound too tight and when they go boom, it takes your wallet with it.

On the other hand, a 2-stroke is more predictable expense wise. Reading the manual, they all say to change a piston every 5 races but really, if you are changing you oil and filter every ride and not overly pushing it, you can go a year on a piston and ring! But it still ain't cheap. Used bikes will invariably need a bottom end job eventually. You are looking at a minimum $300 for that (I just spent $750 before labor) and like the 250F, if you have a catastrophic failure, it could be too expensive to repair. I have a 360 Husky taking up space in my garage with no motor because it broke a rod and the loose end spun around the case with the crank, destroying everything in its path!

That's the bad news, the good news is that if you just wish to trail ride with your buddies with the occasional foray into a motocross event, there is a long list of both 2 and 4 stroke bikes to choose from that are cheap, super reliable, and will make you a better rider. What they are not though is 'sexy'. Your friends will point and laugh and tell you to get the latest hand grenade or what 'Ryan' rides. On the other hand, when you smoke them on your 'trail bike', you will have a greater satisfaction, and if you don't, you can always blame the bike.

Kawasaki KDX - Jeff Fredette has won more ISDE Gold on these things than anyone else has even ridden the ISDE!

KTM 200EXC - Shane Watts dominated...I mean completely smoked everyone in the GNCC's on a box stock, off the showroom floor bike in the late '90's/early 2000's.

Honda XR250+ - Any of these models are great bikes that will last FOREVER. When man destroys all life on the planet, the next aliens will land and find an XR that still runs. That is if there are any left that have not been modified. Then they are hand grenades like the modern bikes. Scott Summers kicked ass until he broke his femur. He stayed on the XR even after Honda had the CRF!

Suzuki DR/Kawasaki KLX line - Pretty reliable hound dogs. Similar good looks to the MX'er's, just not wound so tight.

...and basically any of the KTM/Husky/'Berg/TM/Gas Gas (etc) Enduro bikes. These bikes are made to be fast but have to be super reliable to even be considered competitive.

Any used bike is going to need things. Suspension bearings and seals wear out, spokes come loose or stretch. Sprockets, chains, fuel petcocks, cables, carburetor slides, brake disks all eventually need attention. Of course, new bikes do too but you don't usually have to think too much about it until they are used up - which is why they are USED bikes.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 07:05:07 AM »
What model Husky 360 Vintage? I had a '76 WR360 that did the same thing
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days