Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Food for thought  (Read 11478 times)

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
Food for thought
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2012, 05:42:48 PM »
So the problem really is globalism. I would surmise that at the time when the industrial jobs were resident in the G8 economies that those economies did "ok" for themselves. Each country, for the most part, took care of its own business from the lowest levels of commodities up to building big ticket items like cars or factory equipment. NOW, all of those manufacturing jobs are shipped to the lowest bidder with the lowest labor costs. Tarrifs kept that in check before. So now, the companies that "own" those jobs/services make more profits so the economy looks better via the bottom line and the stock market. Nevermind that the labor within borders is currently split between folks who now have to work at chain restaurants instead of an assembly line (or a lumber mill) and those who get the 6 digit bonuses because of thenow  larger profit margins.

Someday, this will all play itself out and the field will level once again with a "global economy". But until then its quite hard on those that no longer have jobs with good pay and reasonable benefits. Really hard.

And a side effect of all the above is bikes are out of reach for more and more folks.  Combine that with growth gobbling up ever more open land and our hobby is some serious strikes against it for the future.

Yuck.

Oh, and I am an environmentalist -- in my own way (wish I had access to bio diesel -- I should check again to see if that's in the cards in my area) but not a very good one. Concerned about the way things are going but not very successful at changing things. I am solidly in the global warming camp. IMHO the evidence is overwhelming but I also believe the technology to do much about has not asserted itself yet. Florida should prepare itself to be under 5' of water in 50 years. Or 200. Well, sometime down the road.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
Food for thought
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2012, 05:46:23 PM »
Carbon tax will not reduce carbon output now. BUT when someone comes up with a nifty way of getting what the want done with less carbon and can use the resulting credits to increase their bottom line you bet they will take that path (with the tax in place, otherwise, why bother?).

Speaking of carbon tax...that's just another form of wealth redistribution.  This in no way will reduce polution.  Also, no I do not believe in global warming theory.  That's hogwash.  Scientist/media can spin the data any way they want to.
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2012, 06:45:33 PM »
When the carbon tax kicks in, the cost of everything is going up. Manufacturing, farming, etc  will raise the cost of there products, to off set the carbon tax fee. A new car pollutes more than a new semi, but the truck gets hit with the carbon tax. Makes sence don,t it ???, the exhaust on a truck is cleaner than the air your breathing.

Offline gpnewhouse7

• View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2012, 07:05:51 PM »
I've got a biodiesel still at home and run my diesels on recycled deep fryer vegetable oil. I cut the oil half and half with pump diesel for a B50 mix. On long trips I'll go as high as 75% bio diesel and it sure feels good not to waste as much money at the pumps.

After high school the kids of my generation could go to the local sawmill and work there for a few years while they made their minds up about what they wanted to do. The pay was excellent and the job low pressure. When I worked at the mill (before I went back to school) I was put in the dangerous part of the complex because I had logging experience. I made so much money that every third month I could pay cash for a new race bike. Ah, those were the days. The mill is now an Ikea store and I haven't seen anything of it's type to replace it. I just don't think most modern kids can afford offroad motorcycles and, as we all know, the latest breed of high maintenance 4T$ has made it that much worse.

I find that almost unbelievable!

When I was working full time over the holidays I earned just enough so that if I saved non stop for six months I could just of afforded a new 125. For me to be able to afford a car while at college I had to work from 4am til 8pm 6 days a week and from 7am til 4pm on saturdays and even doing that for four months I still had to sell my bike and empty all my savings. I'm not winging before anyone says, I didn't mind it because at the end I got a decent car and insured it fully comp by myself. But damn you made THAT much when you left school?! :o

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2012, 09:21:33 PM »
one argument created, you can thank me later.

Offline kim wedding

• View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2012, 11:31:46 PM »
I watch science show's all the time that scream global warming is man made and they never mention the sun is in a cycle, where it's both brighter and hotter.  Most time's when you find out the truth the enviromentalist and their scientist are lying by more than 50% ON THE NUMBER'S.  It make's people mad to know their being lie'd to.

Ii'm a nature lover and a enviromentalist AS WELL AS A 2 STROKE RIDER.  First and formost a 2 stroke rider and i've been saying to people for year's cutting pollution is a no brainer.  Everyone should build a wind machine as well as solar cell's do as much as humanly possible and then one a enviromental terrorist run's their mouth a person has a good answer back.  If they want to keep complaining ask them if they ride a 2 stroke bike and if they say no, that should tell you it's about taking you'r freedom and not about pollution. 

As a matter of fact i looked on the internet and it say's there are about 600 coal burning power plant's in america. A fraction of them have switched over to natural gas and they cut america's pollution by 20% in two year's.  Seeing as  transportation only make's up to 20% of the pollution in america.If that number is correct it seem's to me we need to point it out. Most people when shown the truth CAN SEE THIS IS ABOUT TAKING OUR FREEDOM'S AND LESS ABOUT THE ENVIROMENT. 

One question What is the worse green house gas?  I saw a show that said menthane is 10 time's the green house gas that carbon is and termite's put more of it into the atmospher than all of man kind does carbon.   

KIM

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2012, 11:35:15 PM »
It occurs to me that this entire problem could be solved and we could all spew as much carbon di/monoxide as we want if we developed carbon processing centres that converted the CO2 to oxygen. Ie: Replicating photosynthesis.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2012, 11:53:05 PM »
It occurs to me that this entire problem could be solved and we could all spew as much carbon di/monoxide as we want if we developed carbon processing centres that converted the CO2 to oxygen. Ie: Replicating photosynthesis.

Photosynthesis requires energy

this would either require dirty energy or an astronomical amount of solar panels.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2012, 11:54:54 PM »
It reduces emmissions by 1) Investment of the carbon tax funds into the development of renewable energy sourses and 2) by increasing the cost of fossil fuels it makes renewable energy more price competitive!

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2012, 12:03:02 AM »
It reduces emmissions by 1) Investment of the carbon tax funds into the development of renewable energy sourses and 2) by increasing the cost of fossil fuels it makes renewable energy more price competitive!

Touche. Well then forget a high tech government plant, just create massive arse forests. Or find another planet. But thats a few years off yet.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2012, 12:25:04 AM »

One question What is the worse green house gas?  I saw a show that said menthane is 10 time's the green house gas that carbon is and termite's put more of it into the atmosphere than all of man kind does carbon.   

KIM

Unfortuntely we cant use the termites as scape goats, similarly we cant use volcanoes as scape goats either.
why? because these emmissions are natural and cannot be reduced.
If the termites were driving hummers itd be a different story.

however removing livestock farming has a profound effect on not just greenhouse emissions.

1) Emmisions: One person going without meat is the equivalent of taking 2.5 cars off the road in terms of equivalent methane vs C02,

2) Water:  saves approximately 1,000,000 liters of water per year (based on the Av american dietary intake),

3) Health: significantly reduces risk of
   a) cancer,
   b) diabetes,
   c) heart disease,
   d) stroke and
   e) obesity

4) and also does it bit for world hunger (68% of the worlds grains are reserved for feeding livestock)

how many birds with one stone?  ;)

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2012, 12:26:22 AM »

Touche. Well then forget a high tech government plant, just create massive arse forests. Or find another planet. But thats a few years off yet.

I assume your reply was to the photosynthesis comment?

yep I agree with you completly

They are currently looking at enormous algae farms to do exactly this :)

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2012, 12:54:46 AM »

I assume your reply was to the photosynthesis comment?

yep I agree with you completly

They are currently looking at enormous algae farms to do exactly this :)

Yeah haha, my bad. So long as we balance out our carbon out put with the environments ability to process it, its not going to impact at all.

Offline Uniflow

• View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2012, 06:25:23 AM »
What was this thread about? The decline of the dirt bike industry / sales?
Global warming????

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2012, 07:21:35 AM »

I know what the purpose of the tax is and agree in principle.
My problem with it is that it will be administrated by the same wankers/bankers that has put the world in the situation we are in now.
You give them a few hundred billion dollars to play with and the end result will not be pretty. >:-D
It's not like the money will just sit in an account for a rainy day.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough