Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Dirt Rider Interview - Project Two 50  (Read 5200 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Dirt Rider Interview - Project Two 50
« on: February 24, 2010, 05:18:17 PM »
Hi Guys,

Lot's of good stuff happening!! Amazing how things work in life sometimes....

Through some mutual friends, the folks over at Dirt Rider magazine heard about what we were attempting to do and invited us to Moto Town on Tuesday. The wanted to interview Mike and I about Project Two 50. How cool is that??

Even better, John Dowd was there as well for interviews, and was out on the track with a few select folks.. including Mike Leavitt...

The video below is a brief clip of Mike and John Dowd. No they were not racing each other, but riding around for the cameras of Dirt Rider...

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=106023972750834#

Dirt Rider would like to test our "factory" bike for what we hope will be a future feature article.

The guys from Dirt Rider were very cool!! Plus we had lot's of fun!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 06:09:41 PM by John Nicholas »
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline westsiderippa

• Expert
  • win on a 2t your a hero, lose just blame the bike
    • View Profile
Re: Dirt Rider Interview - Project Two 50
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 07:39:55 PM »
that is great to here cant wait to read the article. i want more video though ;D

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 03:20:56 AM »
I think I messed up ???, can anyone see the video in my post above??

There are four videos that were shot by Mike's girl friend Jackie posted on Facebook. If you guys can't get to them just friend Mike Leavitt or me, John Nicholas..... then you should be able to see them.

When I get a moment to do so, I'll be creating a Project Two 50 Facebook Group.

While we were at Mototown on Tuesday it was cold, windy and snowing.. strangely enough it was colder inside the building! Today we are preparing for a snowa-cane (a snow hurricane, the weather media is funny!) .... the weather here  in the North East is not always conducive to riding!! :o :o

There is some video being edited now that should be available in a day or two on You Tube. We will post them here as well.

Without the storm we would have been able to get a bit more video at Mototown today (Thursday). We're rescheduling for next week.

Life is short.

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 07:03:17 AM »
John that is excellent news that they want to test it.This is gaining some nice momentum!

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 03:31:32 PM »
Project Two 50 in like a small snowball rolling down a large hill....  it's starting to pick up some momentum... 
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 04:20:32 PM »
Roll, grow, roll, grow. I went to a open practice at Sunshine MX in St pete for the first time in a long time. C group was at least 40% 2 stroke. A/B group was about 25% 2 stroke. Felt good to not be surounded by 4 strokes. The snowball is bigger than it seems. Roll, grow, repeat.
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card
A lot of memories no one can take away

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 05:46:04 PM »
When they go back to all 2 strokes at the races you won't have to wear ear plugs anymore.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 06:23:32 PM »
As much as I'd like to see two-strokes return to motocross, I don't think that the four-strokes will ever go away completely!

I want to see awesome racing. Motocross is just so much more fun to watch when two-strokes are out on the track. There's an excitement that goes along with sights, sounds and smells of two-stroke motocross, that the four-strokes just don't have.

Yes the two-stroke is gaining momentum... how awesome is that??

You know the cool thing about this project, even diehard four-stroke fans think it's cool. Please don't mis-understand, there are some that hate what we are doing... but you've got to feel sorry for those folks! Live is going to get miserable for them.  :P :P

Life is short.

Offline Chris2T

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 06:38:44 PM »
As much as I'd like to see two-strokes return to motocross, I don't think that the four-strokes will ever go away completely!

John, i have articles in magazines from the 70's where riders attempt to build competitive 4 stroke dirt bikes by shoe-horning Yamaha TT500 and Honda XL350 engines into mx frames, usually with so-so results. It just tells me that there's always been and always will be 4 stroke fans. Just like us. Personally i don't think we can ever fairly race against each other because it will always be like racing apples against oranges, and there should be separate classes. But i'll hold out hope that at the very least they give the 2t's a fairer shake than what they've got going on now.

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 09:02:39 PM »
John,I agree with that.There will always be 4t's but I was trying to be optimistic.LOL ;D

Offline SubTexel

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 02:56:36 PM »

John, i have articles in magazines from the 70's where riders attempt to build competitive 4 stroke dirt bikes by shoe-horning Yamaha TT500 and Honda XL350 engines into mx frames, usually with so-so results. It just tells me that there's always been and always will be 4 stroke fans. Just like us. Personally i don't think we can ever fairly race against each other because it will always be like racing apples against oranges, and there should be separate classes. But i'll hold out hope that at the very least they give the 2t's a fairer shake than what they've got going on now.

Yeah but a lot of that has to deal with the underdog syndrome, which is what is pushing the 2 strokes back into the lime light (well that, and the astronomical prices for the 4ts (initial, maintenance and modification) And that's what really pushed it (well besides Yamaha) back in the late 90s when the YZF400 was introduced, back then only 2 strokes were racing so seeing this 4 stroke rip around was a novelty and something for people to cheer for (the fact Doug Henry piloted it only helped).

So, as of right now 2 strokes get to take advantage of this phenomenon. Now 2 strokes are viewed as the working mans race machine, and the riders are viewed as the rebels fighting back against the big 4 refusing to fall in line with the masses and allow themselves to be brainwashed by the marketing being pushed hard by factories AND aftermarket companies (come on now, 900+ for a 4 stroke exhaust? That's only 400 less than what the exhaust for my SRT8 cost me!!).

(Wow that sounded a bit hippy like lol)

At any rate, this program sounds great and I really am looking forward to seeing more in the coming months. 2 strokes FTMFW!

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 07:50:43 AM »

I want to see awesome racing. Motocross is just so much more fun to watch when two-strokes are out on the track. There's an excitement that goes along with sights, sounds and smells of two-stroke motocross, that the four-strokes just don't have.

John I agree completely....  I think the racing would be so much more interesting, exciting...  As you know most thumpers seem to follow the same line, (kind of like how they all lined up to buy thumpers), while a smoker can change lines.  Depending on the track conditions, layout, etc. there will be places on the track where each machine will shine...  this can only lead to more lead changes, closer racing, more exciting racing.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 01:53:07 PM »
come on now, 900+ for a 4 stroke exhaust? That's only 400 less than what the exhaust for my SRT8 cost me!!

Sounds like someone's been listening to the same Super Hunky interview that I've listened to (four times!)

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SubTexel

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 11:59:57 AM »
Huh? Nah, I'm a former 4 stroke owner... Though my exhaust "only" cost me 650 dollars, plus I had dumped money into cams, new springs and retainers, port work, etc... I was however looking at the new 4 strokes (EFI) before coming back to my senses (after looking @ the cost for the bike, EFI programmer, exhaust, new cams, etc...) and getting back into 2 strokes. I spent more time maintaining and worrying (yes, I worried. blowing a 4 stroke up isn't an if it will happen, but a when it will happen scenario).

At any rate, it's great to see 2 strokes gaining (by quite a bit in some areas) popularity again.