Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Stupid Or embarrassing things you have done on a bike  (Read 21213 times)

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
Stupid Or embarrassing things you have done on a bike
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2012, 12:59:34 PM »
I did it again!!!!!

Got complacent today, had my 125 on the stella stand. Happily ratcheting away, got off my stool to get a 12 mil socket, thong caught on the lever of the stand. The bike plummeted, driving the handle of the stand square into my nuts.

Not. Effing. Cool. 5 minutes of groaning on the ground and dry retching. FML.
This has happened once before, except it was with my 2005 CRF250R. So an extra 15 KGs was even worse.

Also on todays list: tripped over aforementioned stella stand, over torqued a bolt and snapped it off, almost chopped my wang off with an angle grinder and dropped the ratchet on my already mangled toe.

And a happy new year to you all!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline Uniflow

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2012, 09:11:26 PM »
I had a YZ 400 1979 F model, it was more of a bike than I could handle but at 18 I thought I could handle anything, fast! A friend and were out trail riding in the forest trying to outdo each other, like you do. He went past on the back wheel up a long loose metal road so not to be outdone I went past him on the back wheel only I was in fourth now, you guessed it, over I went skidding up the road on my arse stones flying everywhere watching my 400 go end over end. Finally we all ended up together in a heap but the 400 was still at half throttle with its handle bar in the ground, middle of the road,  still in fourth going round and round in circles throwing stones at us. Kill switch had gone, what to do??? You try locking your throttle on half in fourth and let your bike go and see what happens, it's like a possessed monster with a mind of it's own, what to do???? So as it came round again I lept in on it thinking I I'll just pick it up, what was I thinking, all it did was wheel stand off leaving me on the ground with stones still getting thrown at me!! This time it when over the edge down a bank through the scrub mostly blackberry and gorse, now what to do??? If you have ever heard an air cooled 400 cc bike free revving at ???? revs it's not nice and all I wanted to do was shut it down before it exploded. So now we are standing on the side of the road looking down into the scrub, smoke rising, and an unholy noise coming up. I had no choice, It had lots of fuel on board, into the mess I went still not sure what to do I think a little shock had set in by this time thankfully it was up against a tree so as I picked the bike up this time I was able to run it into the tree and stall it. I must say it was all I could do to hold it there until it quit! Now finally the noise had stopped and in the silence all I could hear was my friend laughing, funniest thing he had ever seen. After I stopped shaking I had to laugh also, you know I had had problems with the throttle sticking some weeks earlier, something you probably want to sort out on a 400 cc twostroke sooner rather than like me, later. 

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2012, 10:02:39 PM »
I'm the guy who's seat fell off first jump of a moto. needless to say i stood up for the rest of the race.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2012, 12:09:19 AM »
I'm the guy who's seat fell off first jump of a moto. needless to say i stood up for the rest of the race.

HAHAHA! Someone was the laughing stock of the track...

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2012, 02:44:15 PM »
Ha!

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2013, 12:37:22 AM »
A few days ago I was adjusting my preload to accomodate a raise in forks. Got about 10 minutes in before I realised I was decreasing it instead of increasing it.

Don't ever send your bike to me guys :D

Offline Brap

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2013, 05:31:28 PM »
jumped a bonfire nude, Pic's if you want um, and gopro 3 footage ;)

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2013, 06:20:12 PM »
THAT one gets the highest score so far in my book! LOLOLOLOL

I had a YZ 400 1979 F model, it was more of a bike than I could handle but at 18 I thought I could handle anything, fast! A friend and were out trail riding in the forest trying to outdo each other, like you do. He went past on the back wheel up a long loose metal road so not to be outdone I went past him on the back wheel only I was in fourth now, you quessed it, over I went skidding up the road on my arss stones flying everywhere watching my 400 go end over end. Finally we all ended up together in a heap but the 400 was still at half throttle with its handle bar in the ground, middle of the road,  still in fourth going round and round in circles throwing stones at us. Kill switch had gone, what to do??? You try locking your throttle on half in fourth and let your bike go and see what happens, it's like a posessed monster with a mind of it's own, what to do???? So as it came round again I leapt in on it thinking I I'll just pick it up, what was I thinking, all it did was wheel stand off leaving me on the ground with stones still getting thrown at me!! This time it when over the edge down a bank through the scrub mostly blackberry and gorse, now what to do??? If you have ever heard an air cooled 400 cc bike free revving at ???? revs it's not nice and all I wanted to do was shut it down before it exploded. So now we are standing on the side of the road looking down into the scrub, smoke rising, and an unholy noise coming up. I had no choice, It had lots of fuel on board, into the mess I went still not sure what to do I think a little shock had set in by this time thankfully it was up against a tree so as I picked the bike up this time I was able to run it into the tree and stall it. I must say it was all I could do to hold it there until it quit! Now finally the noise had stopped and in the silence all I could hear was my friend laughing, funnest thing he had ever seen. After I stopped shaking I had to laugh also, you know I had had problems with the throttle sticking some weeks earlier, something you probably want to sort out on a 400 cc twostroke sooner rather than like me, later.
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2013, 07:07:52 PM »
Back around 1980 or so I had a RM250. Decided it needed more power and bought a 38MM carb for it (don't remember where I got the idea that this was the hot ticket). Managed to install it the night before race day but didn't have time to do much testing/jetting.

Drove to the track the next AM. Unloaded the bike and when practice started I kicked it over and rode over to the start line. Even doing this it seemed like it wasn't running quite right. I ended up doing a couple of laps and was amazed at the power gain. What I failed to recognize at the time was that instead of adding power it actually just removed what little low end and midrange that RM had. The hit was now so pronounced that it *felt* like a rocket ship. Those practice laps -- I am sure -- were some of the slowest laps that day.

So I decide to do a couple of starts to make sure I can "handle all this power". Line up, rev it up, feed the clutch and LOOP. Instantly. It was then that I decided that the half baked carb swap was probably not the hot ticket. The engine, on the other hand, was quite hot given how lean it was running.

Packed it up for the day and put the stock carb on it back at home.

I still have that 38mm on a shelf somewhere. A whole 30 minutes of run time on it.

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2013, 07:15:08 PM »
Back in the early 80's (very early) was out trail riding with some buddies. I had a mazda rotary and a 3 rail trailer to get us to the national forest near where I was going to school. We had a great day riding, my new bell moto 3 helmet was finally starting break in (I think this was its 2nd or 3rd outing).

Anyway, we return to my "rig", have a snack and some gatoraid and load up the bikes.

We then get in the car and start driving. There is a short sandy dirt road followed by a two lane blacktop. I make the left turn on to the blacktop and floor the rotary (that car was pretty speedy).

We hear a "bump bump bump" from up on the roof of the car.

I look into the rear view mirror in time to see my Moto3 roll down the backside of the car and disappear behind the trunk.

Then the trailer "jumps" off the ground and the axle rolls over my new helmet at 30+ mph. My buddies are laughing their asses off!

I stop, turn around and retrive the brain bucket. I was so disgusted I heaved it into the field next to me and drove off.

Idiot. I should have kept it. As smashed and gouged as it was I could have come up with some amazing bench race stories for it if I still had it!  ;D

Offline Uniflow

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2013, 07:46:05 PM »
Back in the early 80's (very early) was out trail riding with some buddies. I had a mazda rotary and a 3 rail trailer to get us to the national forest near where I was going to school. We had a great day riding, my new bell moto 3 helmet was finally starting break in (I think this was its 2nd or 3rd outing).

Anyway, we return to my "rig", have a snack and some gatoraid and load up the bikes.

We then get in the car and start driving. There is a short sandy dirt road followed by a two lane blacktop. I make the left turn on to the blacktop and floor the rotary (that car was pretty speedy).

We hear a "bump bump bump" from up on the roof of the car.

I look into the rear view mirror in time to see my Moto3 roll down the backside of the car and disappear behind the trunk.

Then the trailer "jumps" off the ground and the axle rolls over my new helmet at 30+ mph. My buddies are laughing their asses off!

I stop, turn around and retrive the brain bucket. I was so disgusted I heaved it into the field next to me and drove off.

Idiot. I should have kept it. As smashed and gouged as it was I could have come up with some amazing bench race stories for it if I still had it!  ;D

Yes we all do this sort of thing some time or other.  This one I'm almost too ashamed to relate!!
Just recent, bought a new truck, diesel. First diesel I've owned, salesman said " DO NOT PUT PETROL IN IT" . Off we go to the trail ride, stop to get fuel. I'm half asleep and end up filling not only the truck with Diesel but also the bike fuel drum. At the ride my bike has fuel already so I'm off only to get back to find my apprentice having real trouble starting his bike ( fourstroke ). I'm thinking useless  fourstrokes until I go to mix my own fuel and thought that smells odd??? The apprentice was not very happy with me to say the least. I made him keep it to himself for fear of no job!!!
Yes I've backed over a helmet before, just glad no one's head was in it at the time.

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2013, 01:31:43 AM »
I am waiting (hopefully a good long time) before I pump gas into my F250PSD -- a mistake that will cost lots of $$$$ when it happens.

A friend of a friend bought a diesel truck years ago. He works as an airplane mechanic for a construction company to service their biz jets. Every now and then you have to inspect the fuel tanks so they drain the remaining fuel into 55 gallon drums. This stuff is kerosene thinks the guy, why not run it in my truck? He calls FORD to see if they will revoke the warranty if he puts jet fuel in his pickup.

They said "go for it"    :o

Yes we all do this sort of thing some time or other.  This one I'm almost too ashamed to relate!!
Just recent, bought a new truck, diesel. First diesel I've owned, salesman said " DO NOT PUT PETROL IN IT" . Off we go to the trail ride, stop to get fuel. I'm half asleep and end up filling not only the truck with Diesel but also the bike fuel drum. At the ride my bike has fuel already so I'm off only to get back to find my apprentice having real trouble starting his bike ( fourstroke ). I'm thinking useless  fourstrokes until I go to mix my own fuel and thought that smells odd??? The apprentice was not very happy with me to say the least. I made keep it to himself for fear of no job!!!
Yes I've backed over a helmet before, just glad no one's head was in it at the time.

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2013, 04:28:23 AM »
All our diesel powered ground equipment run on JetA, works great as heating oil too.
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2013, 04:42:01 AM »
I run my diesels on processed deep fryer oil, runs great and smells like fish and chips. I've heard of guys using used ATF from transmission shops.

Offline Uniflow

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2013, 09:54:09 AM »
Cheap as chips??