Two Stroke Motocross Forum > Non-Moto

Two stroke hillclimbing

(1/16) > >>

keeptwostrokesalive:
These guys are insane.

Hillclimb Highlights 2

JETZcorp:
Now, am I mistaken or are there are a lot of CR500s there?  From what I've heard about that particular beast, they tend to struggle with hills because of their relatively radical powerband (compared to more mild 500s like the KX and Maicos).  Are the hill-climbing CR500s configured differently to that this is no longer the case, or is it a matter of the CR500 just being "the" 500 everyone turns to?

opfermanmotors:
CR500s are bad for trail riding, even Super Hunky says that in his column for the exact same reasons.  However, a CR500 is fine in the above type of hill climb because they don't ever loose momentum and they are wide open the entire time.  Its when you let off the throttle or loose your momentum where the CR500's snappy power band makes it hard to recover and you have to start from the bottom of the hill again, this is where bikes with a smoother powerband are easier for trail style riding.

JETZcorp:
Okay.  I was thinking that maybe they'd be having some wheel-spin troubles compared to a motor that emphasizes torque over screaming and wailing horsepower, but I guess they're going fast enough to avoid that.

GlennC:
I don't know the exact year they re tuned the CR500, But the later ones (1990? -2001) have a very wide power band.
My Service Honda is a great trail bike and hill climb bike as well. Always starts with one or two kicks, and will take off in the middle of a rocky hill climb easier than any bike I have owned.

The power on this engine is quite usable for me 47 a year old desert racer.
Last Year I loaned this same bike to a local pro Chris Barret and he got the hole shot at the  L A Sleeve/Glen Helen two stroke race. He pulled Chuck Sun on a Service KX500 in the process.

Top ends last a long time, Rear tires don't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version