Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 1982 PE175  (Read 23979 times)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: 1982 PE175
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2017, 09:25:45 PM »
So I am embarrassed to admit I never really did anything more with this bike other than what I last posted. I never even got those forks apart to change the seals. Never in my 38 years of riding and wrenching have I encountered such stubborn fork caps lol.

I am hoping to get back on it now that we are finally getting settled here in TX. I am looking for a place to get the cylinder bored. I am also searching for a local powder coater to do the frame for me. I need to send the crank off too, no sense in doing all this work with everything being fresh. It will still be a slow process but I wanted to bring this back to the top so I could use it to try to keep myself on track with this bike.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2017, 01:52:57 PM »
dont fail the bike coop

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2017, 06:02:51 PM »
dont fail the bike coop

I almost did, but I am going to make it great again...:) .

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2017, 01:48:09 PM »
cool lol

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2017, 03:05:35 PM »
If you can't find a local guy I know a guy here in Washington state that can do both the bore and the crank.

Unfortunately you are going to miss out on the free stories that go with all the jobs but he does great work.

1 of the 3 piston "rooms"

--Ron.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2017, 06:31:40 AM »
That's awesome. I haven't had much luck yet finding anybody local so I will be in touch. I was going to send the crank to "Mr Crankshaft" because last time we talked he said he had the rod and bearing kit. But I'd rather just send them both to one place. 

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2017, 05:58:20 PM »
I've been having some serious back issues and may be facing surgery #3 so this is back on hold for now. I am trying to find a local place that I think will powder coat the frame for me. That is something I may be able to pull off right now. I also found all the plastic on eBay so I hope to pick it up soon. Finding an OEM silencer in good condition has been tough/impossible, mine is trashed. A place in the UK sells an aftermarket silencer (DEP brand) I may end up buying. It's the only place I found them in stock anyway.

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2017, 06:30:51 PM »
Thought on the frame.

On my 81 YZ restore I considered having it powder coated but after much back and forth and some input from guys in the vintage community I decided to have it blasted and painted instead.

The reasoning was that if you intend to ride it whatever you use is going to get worn off above the pegs and you can touch up the paint and it will look good, but you are kind of stuck with powder coating.

--Ron.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2017, 05:49:20 AM »
Yeah I have considered that. I always use either clear vinyl or skateboard grip tape on frames for protection. I have rattle canned a couple restorations trying to be cheap and it looked like crap in no time. I can spray it with auto paint (I have that equipment already) but then you still have to be cautious how you touch it up so you don't use incompatible paint or if you respray it takes careful prep work so you don't spray everything else lol. Powder holds up very well because it is approximately twice as thick as paint. I haven't decided but I see pros and cons with either media.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2018, 05:28:03 AM »
I haven't updated this in awhile because my surgery last year now my illness has preventing doing any work. I am considering just selling it as a project bike along with the new parts I have accumulated for it. I am on a PE group on FaceBook and a few members are from Texas that may be interested in a cheap project. I can't ship it so it would have to be a local sale. I was looking forward to seeing it finished but I might be over it. I am not 100% decided yet what I am going to do.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2018, 12:47:01 PM »
Sad day, I sold this PE project today. A local guy offered me $400 and it is a basket case at this point. Plus that was $300 more than I paid for it. Medical crap is expensive and I am on unpaid sick leave. My wife says when I get my NED diagnosis next year I can buy a brand new 2T to celebrate so it was a good trade off :) .

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2018, 01:16:10 PM »
better your health than the bike coop. get ya self better.