Two Stroke Motocross Forum > General Two Stroke Talk

Winter Projects... what ya working on?

(1/3) > >>

eprovenzano:
Winter Projects... I get bored during the long winter months...  so I usually will purchase a clapped out POS and will fix and sell it... although I did keep last years 2 stroke quad project. 

I know of a divorce situation where a clapped out 99 yz 125 and an early 90's XR 80 are collecting dust. The owner is gone, and the ex wife has possession of the bikes.

I know the YZ runs, as I helped to replace the top end and water pump 2 years ago.  It hasn't seen much time since then, but... everything else on the bike will require attention...  The bike rarely saw routine / or really any maintenance unless it broke, at which time it was just the minimum to keep it on the track/trail... example.  The top full hole for the tranny... The threads were stripped and he didn't bother to repair it. During a ride I heard a loud screeching sound.  The bike was out of tranny fluid and the clutch plates were not happy.  He dumped in a quart of oil, and put a wooden dowel into the opening, problem solved lets ride.  The suspenders will need to be freshened, tires (front and rear) wheel, swing arm, and linkage bearings will need attention.  Plastics, grips, seat cover, chain / sprockets all need replaced.  Another one that has me laughing is the shifter shaft.  The splines on the shaft are badly worn and the shifter slips.  Had the bolt cranked down so tight I thought it would break.  I know if he had access to a welder, he would have welded the shifter on it...  So yea its a clapped out POS.  The last time I saw the XR running, it smoked quite a bit, so I'm assuming it needs a new piston, rings, valve seals, carb cleaned, plus I'm betting the tires are dry rotted from age.

So If i buy these amazing machines it will be on the cheap, and will be a spring time flip.  I'm going to make an offer to the ex wife... its going to be low and I doubt she'll accept it, but nothing ventured nothing gained. 

Nom DeGuerre:
both sound like serious commitment$

eprovenzano:
For me, winter bike projects are more about keeping busy then making money.  If I don't have something to keep myself busy, I'll fall into the trap of getting home from work around 6:00, eat dinner, and then sit in my recliner... where I'll fall asleep by 9:00 (if not earlier)... I'm trying to stay out of that routine and keep myself busy during the cold winter months. I'm sure I'll be able to sell them both for more than I'll have invested... not by a lot, but it will be on the plus side.  Again it's more of a keeping myself busy then making $$$.  although a few extra $$$ that I reinvest into my steed never hurts.   

eprovenzano:
I'm also building a bike lift as I want to get the bikes a little higher (safely) to be able to preform maintenance.  I did a lot of research and found one that fits my needs.  When completed I'll post pics of my grand design.   

rsmith:
This winter its going to be the "Basket Case" build I started on last year. It got back-burnered for Nanci's 125 project.

--Ron.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version