Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: racer x race report 9/23/18 Capeway Rovers, Carver/Middleboro MA  (Read 2672 times)

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
racer x race report 9/23/18 Capeway Rovers, Carver/Middleboro MA
« on: September 23, 2018, 04:47:50 PM »
I didnt want to race this weekend, but there was no local option to shake down the Zook and i was ready to ride after a weekend off. Capeway is fun safe jumpy track, intermediate dirt with lots of history, some good some bad, but mostly good. Founded in 1939 it was a biker club that put on dirt track, then scrambles, then onto motocross. I like it here very vintage friendly although no vintage classes, so I had race vet classes against modern bikes, mostly 450s. The track becomes so one lined you have to make aggressive moves in order to overtake. So you can imagine my plight being out horse-powered and out dated lol. Ah who am I kidding I'm just here to shake down the Zook.

I planned on only racing the Zook in one class and she was still giving me fits in practice due to jetting issues (more on this in a later post), we swapped the main with 2 larger sizes as shes breaking up 3/4 to full. I wanted to go leaner but no leaner jets available only the 2 larger size so in she went and out I went for moto 1 30B.

30B moto 1 : Typical $#!T start, Jet change did nothing, jumped some jumps and tried to pass #81 but was unable to. I did get something out of it though, the Bike handles and jumps amazingly! All the typical Suzuki handling accolades are try by gumit. By gumit? Where did I get that from?

40B moto 1 {on the Honda} : Typical start got hung up in a three way (not the one that comes to mind) battle , but with the track one lined i could only make one pass and that was it.

30B moto 2 : Typical start made the pass on #81 and dogged #21 the whole moto but his 450 would just walk away down the straights but riding was good and was having fun!

40B moto 2: You guessed it, typical start , the engaged in a battle royal with #124 who I just realized is an A rider and #117 who  I fought with in moto 1 (see three way). We went at it, trading positions for two good laps. I had to make two aggressive moves in order to overtake. The first was in this right hand sweeper, he went outside and I came underneath and blocked him, he then out dragged me to the table and held position. I stayed in his six (special ops speak) hoping to force a mistake, which came in the corner before the double double. He baubled and when he did I got to his inside and chopped him off into the hairpin left and just pinned it for the next 1/3 of the lap to the checkers.  This ride made my day and left the track happy and in one piece.

My buddy the Brit was there and rode his 99 CR 250 to respectable finishes, but hes a Diva and left rather annoyed that he didnt beat Bill Dill lol. Maybe next time Jason.
action shots by Lisa Blount
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 03:20:31 AM by racer x »

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: racer x race report 9/23/18 Capeway Rovers, Carver/Middleboro MA
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 01:11:11 PM »
Nice, every time I read your posts I want a 125. Next year when I get my NED diagnosis (when, not if, I am positive) I am buying myself a new bike. I was set on a new 250 for the woods, but I might have to also buy a 125 for my wife and "borrow" it :) .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 03:27:27 AM »
Nice, every time I read your posts I want a 125. Next year when I get my NED diagnosis (when, not if, I am positive) I am buying myself a new bike. I was set on a new 250 for the woods, but I might have to also buy a 125 for my wife and "borrow" it :) .
Thanks Coop, the fun factor is through the roof on the 125. If you are not race result orientated, I highly recommend them. Luckily there are 125 driven events that  level that field.

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 09:37:20 AM »
I think I have the answer to your bad starts.

The one and only time I raced this year was back in September, while I am sitting on the line I'm thinking: "I really don't want to get a good start, that way I can just hang back and enjoy the ride."

#2 out of the first turn in all 4 of my motos!

So I guess the trick is to not want to get a good start!

I may need a 125...

--Ron.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 02:01:53 PM »
 ;D I will try this technique Ron.