Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: PARTS!!!  (Read 3788 times)

Offline Mattyweb01

• Novice
    • View Profile
PARTS!!!
« on: July 09, 2018, 02:39:04 AM »
Hi all..
I have a 1989 Cr 250 and the forks are pretty ruined on it, does anyone know if there are forks from other Cr models or any other bike that would fit mine??
Thanks Matt

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
Re: PARTS!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 02:53:54 PM »
Im pretty sure the 88 will bolt on with the triple clamp from the 88, I think they were a better option at the time. You can look on http://vintagebikeads.com/ for a variety of fork options just do a search

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 09:32:58 PM »
This gets a bit complicated. According to the Honda parts catalog those were one year forks. As I recall from back in the day they were still trying to figure out what the best diameter was.

But... One of my riding buddies has a set of 04 forks on his 93 CR250. The key is you need all of the parts, forks, wheel, brakes and triple clamps.

As long as the steering stem is the same length and you can find bearings with the right combination of OD to fit the frame and ID to fit the steering stem you can mount them.

If you just want to bolt them on and go, look for a set of used ones for an 89. Bike Boneyard in Montana says they have them for $150 (they aren't so good at keeping up their site though, so contact them to confirm.)

Good luck.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 05:38:53 AM »
This gets a bit complicated. According to the Honda parts catalog those were one year forks. As I recall from back in the day they were still trying to figure out what the best diameter was.

Yeah 1989 was the first year for "upside" forks on CR's. The bike saw an update in 1990. I do know a guy who put 1991 CR forks in 1989 triples, he says they fit. I did some research out of boredom and "think" the 89 and 91 both had 45mm forks. But you run into wheel compatibility issues maybe and I am not sure it's much of an upgrade between the two forks. I am just posting in case you never found 89 forks, it might be an option.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.