Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Weekend Ride  (Read 2971 times)

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
Weekend Ride
« on: May 19, 2017, 08:31:53 AM »
My son and I got out the other day.  Over the winter months he disassembled his 2000 KTM 300 and painted the frame.   He put everything back together while greasing and replacing a few worn items.  When we get to the riding spot, I asked is he started the bike since reassembly... no he didn't but he did check for spark when reconnecting the electronics.  Of course it wouldn't start...  As he kicked it over it just didn't sound right... As I listened it sounded as if he was holding the throttle open, but he was not...  As I investigated I found the slide was not bottoming out.

Thank God I'm a stickler for making sure the same size bolts are used...  So with just one 8 mm socket, we quickly pulled the seat and tank  to get to the carb.  I found he incorrectly routed the throttle cable causing  it to pinch and not allowing the cable to fully retract.   A quick re-route and the slide bottoms out...  It fired up after only a few kicks.   

Our club is hosting a cross country race during the upcoming weekend.  The course was laid out and we were able to take advantage of it and help to break in some of the new trials...  It was a great day to be on a bike and even a better day to be making memories with my son...  even if he doesn't always listen to me... as always dad knows better...   
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Ride
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 10:32:27 AM »

Kidding, glad you guys got out man. I am going under the knife June 7th for a lumbar fusion. I won't be riding anytime soon, probably next year at the soonest. So I need to pics of rides so I can live vicariously through you all for awhile  ;D .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 06:54:13 AM »
Glad to see you got out with your kid -- and that lack of testing of the 300 did not result in a DNS! Good times buddy! I like your 8mm does-it-all strategy too!
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 05:48:23 PM »
cool bro!