Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Rekluse Z clutch for YZ 250  (Read 7674 times)

Offline fabbo

• Novice
    • View Profile
Rekluse Z clutch for YZ 250
« on: May 21, 2010, 11:06:59 PM »
Hello out there

Has any one owned a bike with a Recluse clutch. I have an 01 YZ 250 just love the bike I use it only for trail riding, I am  sick to death of always stalling it on crappy uphill runs. I have read about the Rekluse clutch but I have not met anyone with one on their bike. I would appreciate any info at all about the Rekluse clutch weather it be  positive or negative.

Thank you

Fabbo. ;

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Rekluse Z clutch for YZ 250
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 12:11:21 PM »
I can't say anything about a Rekluse clutch because I've never tried one before but if your stalling your 01 yz-250 and you say you only trail ride I would first install a Steahly flywheel weight like I had to do in the past on my 98 rm-250.A 7 or 8 ounce flywheel weight really helps a motocross bike out when your only trail riding as opposed to MX or SX racing.

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 12:16:59 PM »
Know of a guy that has an EFM autoclutch and he seems to love it
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 04:38:42 PM »
My main riding buddy has one on his CRF450x.It's a little weird to get used to not using the clutch but it works awesome and is a huge benefit in the woods-especially when you start to get tired.He's used his hard for about 3 yrs now with zero issues.If you get one,get the pro.
On a side note,don't ever sit on the bike assuming it's in neutral(when it's actually in gear)and give the throttle a good blip to warm it up.Bad things happen-and people laugh at you.I'm not sure how I know that :-X
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline admiral

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 08:21:44 PM »
[quote author=ford832 link=topic=681.msg6819#msg6819 date=1274917122
On a side note,don't ever sit on the bike assuming it's in neutral(when it's actually in gear)and give the throttle a good blip to warm it up.Bad things happen-and people laugh at you.I'm not sure how I know that :-X
[/quote]
i know about that same situation. it happened to me when some guy at the track approached me to inquire about my 250SX. he had a brand new YZ250 sitting by his truck and i could tell he really wanted to ride my KTM to see how it stacked up. well i was all for riding his new bike but it had that Rekluse thing in it. it has an ever so slight but detectable hesitation (at least the one i rode)before the clutch grabs and you go forward. it was just enough of a lag that i dropped my guard and looked down thinking "did i put it in gear?". this all happened in a fraction of a second. it turned into a whiskey thottle situation and i went over the berm but got the clutch in while hanging off the back of the bike and thankfully not dropping it.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 08:47:40 PM »
Assumption is the mother of all screw ups, eh ford  ;)
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 07:26:25 AM »
I've used them for years now - since they came out. Not for the auto clutch feature initially, but to have a LHRB, as injuries prevent me from using a foot brake.

They take a bit to get used to, as does any change.

I've used a few different Rekluses, BUT, if they are reliable and as good as they appear / I think them to be, I would recommend the Revloc Dyna Ring over a Rekluse. They are cheaper, and retain the ability to still bump start your bike, by just adjusting the clutch cable. With a bit of set up, I'm sure you could rig up an 'on the fly' clutch cable adjuster (the lever type) to give you an 'on the fly' bump start feature - a real plus on a nasty down hill. Not having bump start has been one of my concerns over all these years - to regain it would be of great use.

Revloc essentially started the auto clutch thing, so I have no doubts about them producing an effective, reliable unit in the Dyna ring - as I said, this is coming from a long time Rekluse user.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 02:11:03 PM »
Assumption is the mother of all screw ups, eh ford  ;)

Ain't that the truth :D
Good info bearoso.I've only ever tried the Recluse and thought it was the cats arse in part because of the adjustability-though I almost threw my buddy's CRF over a berm into the tulies when I was just engine braking and about to accelerate when it disengaged-it felt like someone giving you a push from behind,of course,just like pulling in the clutch.Having said that,he's faster than me and had it set for him so as he carries more speed in that corner,he never had the issue.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.