Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Here is a question to the guys here who have been riding thier entire life:  (Read 6863 times)

Offline streaks383

• Junior
    • View Profile
I am in college now.  I went to the Air Force first and now that I am a civilian again I have the opportunity to go to college.  Here is what I do to stay in touch with moto as well as some things I know that others do.  Me personally I got a storage unit and I keep my bike down here with me.  I only get to ride a half dozen times a year now but I still get to ride.  I help out at a track, find one that is close by and tell them your situation.  They may pay you to help they may not, I don't get paid but for me to be out there running equipment, helping on race day with various tasks is really something that is therapeutic to me.  I enjoy it and I get to ride there whenever I have free time.  There are a couple of  things I would warn you about if you get a storage unit and bring your bike. 1: School comes first, tone your riding down, I have been broken twice now since in school and it really takes a toll on the GPA, it is hard to get up when you are in pain and get to class.  2:  Find a secure storage area, one in a good area with a fence, double lock your units door with shrouded locks, get a long locking cable from harbor freight put it through your frame and both wheels as well as through some heavy stuff like cinder blocks, semi rims anything with weight that is awkward.  Just make it difficult to take.  3: Get insurance on your bike for theft, mine costs under 100 a year.  Not that it is likely to get stolen but you will not be there to check on it everyday so play it sale. 

I have a buddy who absolutely could not take his bike.  He bought a good DSLR camera and goes around to the races every weekend and takes pictures of everybody and posts them up online.  They are free to everyone and everyone around the tracks knows him, loves him and he always gets in for free.  He is very plugged in.

I hope this helps good luck at school.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
Great advise streaks, the anti-theft ideas were really good ones, and shouldn't a problem for me. I will probably have a problem toning down the riding though, because "watch this guys", is just the kind of person I can be, sometimes.

In the NC low country, NC Motocross Park had lots of races, including night races over in East Bend (Raliegh). Checkout www.ncmp.net. There is a lot of MX in the immediate area and a lot of off-road in the not so distance. Lots of storage garages along the Interstate in Raliegh too.

I have checked them out as a track, looks like a really awsome place, and the school is not to far away either, so its good to know that moto wont be very far away from me. Best case senario is a I go to UCONN and can stay in the area and keep up my racing status here in CT. Thanks for the info :D I still have a lot of decisions to make, and its really comforting to know that no matter where I end up I can still be close to racing and riding.

Offline evilscientistmoose

• Novice
    • View Profile
Focus on college first. I am a prime example of what happens when you don't. I'm now 40, attempting to correct the last 20 years of mistakes I've made on work and financial matters, and wish I had someone screaming at me to get me to do something different.

I wouldn't change a thing with my wife or children...but I think they have suffered a lot because I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do early on, and now I find that I enjoy writing...and am pretty good at it...never mind I can't seem to find a decent job doing that sort of thing. Maybe someday...but nobody returns my emails, so I'll keep plodding along, having a laugh at people who clearly cant write but somehow manage to stay employed.

If you have a field which you can excel in, by all means, get the college done now. You obviously weren't born with psychotic/rich parents who could live through you by motocross racing and pay the way, so an extra couple of years without racing isn't going to kill you. I think AMA Supercross might be out....but only a couple of people sit at the top there, anyway.

Worst case? Sell whatever you own, and look really hard for a street-legal two-stroke bike, and simply ride it to a riding area...and only use 6/10's or so of your ability, that way you aren't doing something stupid that could jeopardize a career.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Here is a question to the guys here who have been riding thier entire life:
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 12:37:16 AM »
Colonel Sanders was pushing 65 when he finally found his true calling in life. Sometimes these things just don't happen overnight.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 08:20:45 PM »
Well my situation is different than most. I've been on my own since I was 16, I went to work early and never went to college. Until now that is, two back surgeries under my belt and 40 years old I have two semesters left before I get a Bachelors in EET. I obviously commute so riding is not an issue for me :D .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 03:12:30 AM »
It seems like one of my best options would be to get a street legal two stroke for the comute... Not a bad idea, maybe I will through a banshee engine in an R1 chassis or something  ;D

Offline gpnewhouse7

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 12:22:40 AM »
It seems like one of my best options would be to get a street legal two stroke for the comute... Not a bad idea, maybe I will through a banshee engine in an R1 chassis or something  ;D

If you wanna post the left over parts to me I'll happily pay for the postage  ;D

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 02:48:42 AM »
Hahaha, its funny, some guy just moved in down the road with literally 4 yamaha banshees on a trailor. I may ask how much for one (if I can find a parts one) and put it in the rollor I got in my basement, it wont be an R1, but it will be pretty cool if I can.  ;D I can mail you the blown fooper lawn mower engine I had in it, but I doubt you want it  :P

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 03:46:54 PM »
There is a guy on the Yamaha WR250R forum putting a banshee engine in a Yamaha WR250R chassis. Well it might be an RD350 engine but they are pretty much the same engine.

- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 03:08:50 AM »
college?? what's that?? ;)
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.