Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 2012 or 2013 YZ125  (Read 4678 times)

Offline teampryor

• View Profile
2012 or 2013 YZ125
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 02:53:58 PM »
We also live in Florida, near Tallahassee. We also have shopped all over for a respectable price on new bikes. We first bought a used 08 model that was seemingly in good shape. We have spent a lot getting this bike right, rims spokes, shock body, fork internals, linkage, swingarm, subframe, repairs to damaged threads, Motor full rebuild, exhaust, reeds, every bearing in the engine and on the chassis. I honestly believe we could of paid retail for a new bike and would of saved money.
Our next Bike we purchased new from Capitol Cycle in Macon Georgia for $5500 with no sales tax because we live out of state. This was the best deal we found within 500 miles for a new 11' model. Point is, its all the little things that you have to fix with any used bike that add up. When someone says they have a clean 08 model with 10 hours on it, you can pretty much count on it having a 100 hours on it with poor maintenance to boot. Buy the new bike. Long term you Will save money. IMHO
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
2012 or 2013 YZ125
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 09:42:02 PM »
The 2013 has a white rear fender!!!!!

Agree with above posts about buying new. When you throw in new parts to bring an old one up to scratch PLUS the time to do it the cost adds up. If you have lots of spare time than working on a bike might not matter much but i have no spare time so i really dont want to work on bikes when i could be doing something else

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
2012 or 2013 YZ125
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 03:01:27 AM »
It's a done deal. Bought the 2012 (no crappy white fender for me). I won't ride it untill November due to work and getting it down here.  When that happens I will post about being a kid again. For you KTM, TM, and Husky guys bring on the criticism. Then lets go ride em. It's all good screaming 125's.
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card
A lot of memories no one can take away

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
2012 or 2013 YZ125
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 03:15:47 AM »
I would love to give you shit over your choice but the fact is they are all good bikes.
1 thing I don't like about Yamaha's is the blue.
Please do a retro white/Red or yellow/black colour scheme.
Then I will forgive you. ;)
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
2012 or 2013 YZ125
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 03:56:28 AM »
So many better things to spend money on besides plastic. Love Yamaha yellow but it will stay blue. 144 kit or Factory Connection are the only upgrades (other than the minor usual ones) this bike will ever see. Heres a good question, What's the best pipe for it? Whatever it is it will not get it until I squish the stocker. Which may not take too long.
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card
A lot of memories no one can take away

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
2012 or 2013 YZ125
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 09:11:49 AM »
So many better things to spend money on besides plastic. Love Yamaha yellow but it will stay blue. 144 kit or Factory Connection are the only upgrades (other than the minor usual ones) this bike will ever see. Heres a good question, What's the best pipe for it? Whatever it is it will not get it until I squish the stocker. Which may not take too long.

I've heard nothing but rave reviews for the FMF SST pipe. And Charles said something a while ago about a couple of his riders crushing 2 pro circuit pipes in a race day or words to that effect. FMF Looks great, easy to maintain and will really light a fire under the top ends arse. Gives a good midrange boost too but I've heard it said that the midrange boost can vary between bikes. Some guys reckon it blew them away others said it decent but nothing special. Regardless I'd go with the FMF SST, in fact I will be doing so soon enough :P

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
2012 or 2013 YZ125
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 01:05:32 PM »
nope. nothing new and not worth the higher price youd pay. the bike has had BNG since....like 08?

the last major changes were 06 and it received minor changes for a few years. i think we need to do a forum dedicated to explaining bikes and the changes over the years.

Nah, in 2011 they detuned the bikes!

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline motoxr377

• Junior
  • RM GUY
    • View Profile
2012 or 2013 YZ125
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 04:21:34 PM »

I've heard nothing but rave reviews for the FMF SST pipe. And Charles said something a while ago about a couple of his riders crushing 2 pro circuit pipes in a race day or words to that effect. FMF Looks great, easy to maintain and will really light a fire under the top ends arse. Gives a good midrange boost too but I've heard it said that the midrange boost can vary between bikes. Some guys reckon it blew them away others said it decent but nothing special. Regardless I'd go with the FMF SST, in fact I will be doing so soon enough :P

Eric Gorr has said before the SST on a 144 causes the engine to run too hot due to the very steep angle on the rear cone. Be weary as many on Thumpertalk have melted a piston due to the SST.

Offline motoman356

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
2012 or 2013 YZ125
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 07:28:39 PM »
only problem with getting a used bike for cheaper is that it has had the shit canned out of it for 6 years.

bushes and bearings will all need replacing: swing arm bushes, bearings and seals, wheel bearings, head stock bearings, etc
full engine rebuild: piston, rod, bearings, seals, gaskets, oil, coolant
new pipe if its damaged
re pack the silencer
new air filter
new tires
potentially new discs and pads and brake fluid

2500 for a second hand bike plus a 1500+ for the above (parts only), so that $4600 brand new 06 yz is seeming rather cheap.

now that just isnt quite the case. I picked up an 04 rm125 last year for a 1000. it had been sitting in storage for a few years, and the bike was race ready with fmf exhaust, vforce, and ported/polish motor. im into it total for around 1700 cuz i put on new rubber, custom graphics, seat cover, bars and a few other things.  and as far a yz125 goes you can easily find an 05/06 from 1500 to 2000 if not less sometimes

Offline motoman356

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
2012 or 2013 YZ125
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 07:33:19 PM »
i think we need to do a forum dedicated to explaining bikes and the changes over the years.

Thats a great idea.
You volunteering to start it off. ;D

ive been thinking about doing this for a while
doing each model, say go back to 2000 and each year say what changed, which bike in the class won the shootout, and why each one got what place in the shootout, and do that for each year up until 2013, and keep updating it

i wouldnt mind adding to help it. im thinking the easiest way would be to find the online articles that mags have done. only downside is on dirtrider ive found they only go back as far as 03 and MXA about as far also. but that would help people anyways. and if people have old mags with the shootouts they can do scans or whatever

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
2012 or 2013 YZ125
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 12:27:07 AM »

Eric Gorr has said before the SST on a 144 causes the engine to run too hot due to the very steep angle on the rear cone. Be weary as many on Thumpertalk have melted a piston due to the SST.

Really?  I'll have to take a look at that. And its not a jetting problem? I did notice when I looked a the picture the SST did kinda look like it was 20 years out of place it was that steep. I'll email FMF before I make my choice see what they have to say about it. Thanks for that mate