Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 05-07 CR125 Setup  (Read 4072 times)

Offline Travis616

• View Profile
05-07 CR125 Setup
« on: March 14, 2012, 10:16:46 PM »
Hello everyone out there, I have a 2007 Honda CR125 and have been working with it all last season trying stuff but it seems to sign off a little early on the top end. I had a 2002 CR125 before (with a crf in between there but that's a story of it's own) that worked well for me and I can't seem to get this one dialed in. I cleaned everything up to the ports in the cylinder when I did the last top end, have vforce 3 reeds, PC works pipe and R304 silencer and finally have the jetting in the ballpark (after a half dozen needles and about the same number of pilots). The bike works good but I don't ever remember the '02 running out up top. Just thought I would see if anyone else has come across this. I race the vet junior and mx2/3 junior classes and have had some repectable finishes but there are lots of times when there isn't time to shift in the last 20' and I need a little more...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
05-07 CR125 Setup
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 11:52:42 PM »
Did you add a tooth on the rear sproket ? If so that will make the bike sign off to quick. The pc shorty silencer is the best for lowend snap,but hurts the topend. I have a 06 cr125,stock cylinder and pipe, pc regular silencer tiny improvment over the stocker.Unlike a 04 a pc silencer makes a big diff. A rad valve on the 06,wasn,t impressed with the vforce on my mod 04 cr125, r.v. adds alot of low to mid snap, can carry a gear higher threw corners, and a icat works great on cr125,s. I have stock gearing and will be using 1 less tooth sproket,the motors strong enough to pull it and I weight 170 plus. All the jets are rich,lean all the jets out. If you leave the bike in 3rd and let it scream to max rpm, it will flatten out on top, with just a little pull, like any 125. Did you take the side # plate vent plug out ? A 125 needs more air to make good topend hp.

Offline Travis616

• View Profile
05-07 CR125 Setup
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 01:16:59 AM »
I did gear mine down one tooth but have the original sprocket on a spare wheel assy., Never tried them back to back though. Just got my first ride of the season in today and my track is a fairly technical 3rd gear track so I don't get/need to 'scream' it here. I have a rad valve that I picked up at the end of the season (on sale of course!) but haven't tried it either. Do you mind me asking what jetting you are running in you '06 supertrucker? I am going to drop one more on my pilot which I think is about a 40 right now because I went to tweak my airscrew and it was alreaday at 2 1/2 or so - these bikes were crazy rich from factory. I actually tried my spare side # plates from my '02 which were '04 plates, and yes, the plugs are out of the original ones on it now. Thanks

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
05-07 CR125 Setup
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 07:25:56 PM »
My jetting is still too rich, using 110 leaded 32-1 for my 04 cr125 2mm stroker crank,2mm overborre.That fuel makes it run richer than a 50/50 race,pump mix. I didn,t have other fuel mixed,for starting the bike over winter the rich mix is good. I think my 06 has a full step leaner needle, I try 1/2 step leaner needles 1st, always try to keep the clip in the center. I know the pilot is leaner,along with the main jet,I would have to look at the carb sorry. Before you put the rad valve on,pull the reeds out and polish the inside smooth, the stock r.v. is a little course inside, might aswell get the full performance out of it right. The rad valve makes it run richer,if I remember right. You should be able to drop a tooth on the rear,once you get the r.v. on, with the added low to mid improvment. I have a icat also,which makes it much snappier,they say it helps with jetting if your a little off,under a load like deep sand, better fuel consuption-not sure about that claim tho. A  little trick is to duct tape your throttle wideopen over night, it weakends the spring a little making it easier to crack the throttle, still snaps back good too. Service honda has the lowest prices on parts, unless your dealer is cutting you a deal. I bought my 06 used,1st ride it ran crappy, the stock reeds where fluttering,with the r.v. it ran alot better. I have to see a dr. have a weird cold,ton of fluid in my ears,ace all over,etc.

Offline Travis616

• View Profile
05-07 CR125 Setup
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 03:21:35 PM »
Hope you get feeling better soon. I spun the carb. and changed my pilot to a 40 (was 45) and set the airscrew to 2 turns. The main is a 440 which seems good when I check the plug, I don't remember exactly what needle or position I'm running (maybe a 26-69 from an 04 right now) but it seems I still need to go one lower on my pilot. Ran out of time last night so maybe when I'm done work today I can tinker some more. Also, I'm at 1500' and running 91 unleaded at 32:1 with HP2 oil if anyone is wanting to try any of this jetting :D

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
05-07 CR125 Setup
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 06:43:27 PM »
I had elbow surgery on 1-31, 2 different insitions, the one over my funny bone is invected.I got a 14 day antibiotic that should help. My 04 has a factory connection revalve,I put stiffer springs in the shock and forks added fork oil a few times and polished the center rod in the forks. I couldn,t get the 04,s forks stiff enough, had to revalve. The same story with the 06, stiffer springs,added fork oil,compression 1 out,they say all the way in is bad for forks. The suspension is very plush,170 ish lbs. is just to much weight. The shocks on the 04 and 06 are a different length,the 06 is a inch or so longer, bad idea to switch. The forks should be interchangable tho, but never tried to. So I,m thinking about pulling the 04,s mod motor,and sticken the 06 engine in the 04. Since the 04 has the revalve,still have to get it dialed in tho. The 04  would have 3 pipes to choose from,pc,stock, 03 KX hgs BUD pipe that I cut,bent,hammered into place,it has a stronger mid with more topend. The 04 has the carb borred to 40mm also, that should take some bottom end, and more upper mid-topend that it needs. ;D  I put the 04 pc pipe on the 06,for 3 laps low to mid was much stronger,but signed off earlier and didn,t rev as high,that was without the rad valve.

Offline Travis616

• View Profile
05-07 CR125 Setup
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 09:23:41 PM »
Doesn't sound like much is stock anymore! I like my suspension aside from the harsh bottoming on the forks, I weigh around 160-165 and have only had to set the sag. I managed to find a set of factory connection bottoming collars for the forks that should get rid of my fork issue (already raised the oil) and then it should be great :) So the latest on my jetting woes, down to a 35 pilot (32.5 would hesitate a little) and have tried a number of different needles. Even changed my crank seals just to be sure! Tried a stock '02 needle that was leftover from back in the day and it is finally lean off idle, this is the first I have been able to get my airscrew to actually affect the bike idiling. It is too lean above that but now I know what I need for a needle, 6dgy29-73 - but I don't think anyone makes it.... I'm going to order a 29-71 and give that a try because it's the closest I can come up with. Also, it seemed to rev out nicely! Sooo close

Offline Travis616

• View Profile
05-07 CR125 Setup
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 12:35:17 PM »
 The latest - my 6dgy29-71 needle finally came in (and installed, 3rd clip). Using it along with the stock 430 main, 35 pilot and around 2 1/4 on the airscrew, seems to be working fairly well but still goes rich off idle then clears out. Maybe I'll have to try a different slide with a little more cutaway, has anyone else tried a different slide? On a different note, had a full straightaway lead on the first lap last weekend in the vet class (the only 125 on the line) when I threw that away..... :o

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
05-07 CR125 Setup
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 07:58:58 PM »
Stock jets are 430 main, needle 28-68 last 4 digits that,s what you go by, pilot 55, air screw 1.75 out  In my 06 cr125 stock cylinder I have a  410 main, 37.5 pilot, stock needle- I need a full step leaner needle. My cr has a rad valve and a icat. I thought I  ordered a leaner needle, but can,t find it. I have 4 needles from my 04, but the numbers don,t work for the 06. I think your 29-71 needle might be wrong, I,ll have to check the manual. You don,t have to buy a slide, just a leaner needle. I don,t know what the weather is like where you live, but as the temps and hummidity rise, you go leaner, along with a leaner main and pilot jets. Don,t buy a diff. slide, because then you,ll be chasing the jetting forever. Even if you get porting and the carb borred to 40mm, you still don,t need a diff slide.

Offline Travis616

• View Profile
05-07 CR125 Setup
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 02:57:58 PM »
The 29-71 needle is a little richer in the midrange and leaner on the bottom (straight section) part of the needle. My needle is now 2.71mm dia. on the straight section where the stock is 2.68mm, the larger dia. has leaned it out nicely but it's still rich when just as I come off of the straight section. I wouldn't really care except that when I let off and coast for a sec in a corner as I open the throttle there is a slight hesitation that is the rich 'spot', I'm used to it but it's frustrating when I can set up everyone elses bikes but can't get my own just right.

Offline Travis616

• View Profile
05-07 CR125 Setup
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »
Soooo, here's the latest. I am finally satisfied with my jetting, it could be better but for the most part it is pretty good. I went with a -81 needle from a 2005 yz125 (middle position), a 32.5 pilot, and a 430 main. I kept changing and testing then went back to my original 'good' setup and couldn't believe how much better the new setup is, when I crack it - it goes :) My other setups would load up a bit as I decellerated into a corner and then have a very slight hesitation as throttle was applied, even on sharp corners where it's pretty much all clutch it was noticeable. So, if anyone else tries this let me know how it worked out for you.