Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Fuel Stabilizer  (Read 5196 times)

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
Fuel Stabilizer
« on: March 04, 2011, 12:18:21 PM »
What's everyone use for Fuel Stabilizer in 2 strokes with oil already mixed?  Here are two I found.  How long do they last, "long storage periods", i.e. 1 million years? :)

Gold Eagle Ethanol Treatment

A new formula designed to prevent corrosion from moisture and ethanol induced water attraction
Best ethanol problem fighter with more than four times the fuel system cleaner than regualr Sta-Bil
Contains twice the corrosion prevention than Sta-Bil, as well as two non-alcohol water removers
Designed for use with every fill up in all 2-4 stroke marine engines running gasoline, gas-oil mixtures, and ethanol blends
Can also be used as a safe storage treatment in snowmobiles, motorcycles, motor homes, and all outdoor power equipment including tractors and lawn mowers
8 oz. treats up to 80 gallons and 32 oz. treats up to 320 gallons

Maxima Fuel Storage Stabilizer

Prevents the deterioration of fuel and stops the formation of gum and varnish
Eliminates the need to drain or dispose of fuel over long storage periods
Works with both gasoline and diesel fuels
1oz. per gallon protects system from corrosion due to the use of ethanol based fuels

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
Re: Fuel Stabilizer
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 12:47:51 PM »
I don't think I have ever used a stabilizer.
If theres gas here and I'm not broken, I'm riding. :)

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 01:22:46 PM »
BRP makes 2 + 4 fuel conditioner.
It has been around for years going back to the OMC days.
Works very well for storage up to a year. Long term storage rate 1oz to 2 gallons.
I sell it by the box load to boaties. It does work.

Cant say i have ever put it in my bike but would if i needed to.
Mercury makes a similar product under their Quicksilver brand.

Cant comment on any after market brands , i just never use them when you have a product you know works.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline downonmonday

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 04:12:09 PM »
I too have been using Maxima Fuel Storage Stabilizer for the last several years. I have no complaints here.
2000 Honda CR 250, 2004 Suzuki RMZ 250, 2004 Suzuki GSXR 750, 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Sport

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 04:50:21 PM »
Years ago a friend of mine traded in a Ford van and,as it was very high mileage,the dealership checked the compression.When it was found that the 351 was still in perfect condition they asked my friend why and he "hummed and hawed".Then it dawned on him - at the end of every race he would pour his premix into the truck's gastank!

I try to store my gas in a cool,dry place and generally don't use fuel stabilizers but it should also be noted that gasoline here in Canada is blended differently then in the U.S..

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 07:39:31 AM »
I use it religiously,primarily because things are stored for so long.Not so much on the bike but mower,tiller,chainsaw etc.It's the difference between a second pull start or a carb rebuild in the spring.I use whatever is available when I think of it,Yamaha,briggs and stratton,whatever.It all seems to work equally well.
BTW,why is this called a "child board" ?
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline yo_marc

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 10:17:39 AM »
I use Sta-Bil pretty exclusively, as that's what sold everywhere in my area.

I use it every winter in my bikes.  They're stored in a fairly well climate-controlled basement at about 55*F.  Not too shabby of a winter home.  In the streetbikes, they'll fire right up with no issues in the spring.  They're pretty impervious to bad gas.

My RM and 250R both take it in the winter too.  I'll probably get scoffed at, but I've run the RM with OLD gas in it. Old like two or three years old.  I parked my RM in '05 or so.  I'd take it out every now and then and fire it up.. only to park it again.  I ran it like that, with the same gas, for the first two or three years.
'00 RM250
'88 TRX250R