Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Best 500GP rider of all time  (Read 15252 times)

Offline reefmuncher

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Best 500GP rider of all time
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2010, 09:21:57 AM »

When you say crap, how different would this be against something like a Honda RS125 cylinder? Is it less about the number of ports and more about angles, placements and other sutble differences? If you have any pictures or can explain would love to hear!  ;D

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2010, 11:58:07 PM »
A NF4 or NX4? They are totaly different, closest is a Pavesi ICC shifter kart cylinder. Some talk and pics HEREI removed a pic  but it was a top secret spy pic(my mate gets them from the foundry).
Yes it is about the number of ports(triple exhaust) and Aprilia's duct geometry in particular, there a lots of aspects to that cylinder that to the naked eye 'won't work'. I have no doubt 'old school' porting heros can reduce the output of that cylinder very quickly.Other aspects of the engine like the 115mm rods etc etc Then there is the pipes they run, like the cylinders developed to the enth degree.  One thing I can say is when looking at the base of the cylinder it has large radius on the duct enrty and is quite small the transfer divider tapers from 20mm down to 5mm and is almost square edged. No fricken knife edges >:(

Offline reefmuncher

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2010, 12:55:41 PM »
Ha ha yeah I saw that post previous hence my curiosity!  ;D

Not sure which cylinder my RS used to have it was a 96 if that helps. I'll have to ask a friend who races karts if he's seen the Pavesi type. Sounds like cool stuff!!

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2010, 11:14:58 PM »
Don't worry you can get a NF to really hammer. 

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2010, 02:28:26 AM »

smoke from your boot

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2010, 11:47:49 PM »
I have to add to this topic. Two amazing Aussies, and one adopted one are my favourite of all time GP racers. Barry Sheene at number one. Had tears in my eyes the day that he died.  Mick Doohan at number two, who is just a genuine champion of the sport, and Gary McCoy number 3. Garry used to slide that 500 around like crazy and was amazing to watch. Could go blisteringly fast, then would struggle or crash the next week. But sensational to watch.

That racing certainly is not the same now that they are not racing two strokes, and it is only getting worse, with the loss of the 250 cc two stroke class, and the 125's on death row. I know that several team owners/bosses that are not happy with the situation, and they dont like the four stroke format, but there is nothing they can do about it.  At least we still have the option to ride and race two strokes, these guys are pure and simply not allowed. Now that would be a very bitter pill to swallow !!!!
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline rob the snaill

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2011, 11:02:18 PM »
for me i have had the good fortune to see some awesom riders, some great riders and a couple i would put in the legend class.
Rainey and Doohan both legends
Ago and Sheene also legends
Rossi also legend
Schwantz and Cadalora and geoff Duke was where what i would call great riders
Lawson also a great rider

Offline Kodackamera

• Novice
  • The future is bright...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2011, 10:45:59 AM »
Here's a race from one of my dvd's, had to get it ordered from America because Duke didn't have it released here, until now. Here in the UK duke video now have all the 90's seasons released this year, finally!

I think Alex Barros is another racer worth mentioning, however, I feel that everyone was more in with a chance with the 500's, there was an energy and desire to actually race hard that should be a part of racing anyway.

Round One Suzuka 2001 500cc
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 10:48:08 AM by Kodackamera »
"The 500 is another world. The bike come from another world."
-Valentino Rossi