Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: New cylinder, or new sleeve?  (Read 3901 times)

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
New cylinder, or new sleeve?
« on: February 20, 2011, 03:04:20 PM »
So, I was looking on ebay, and they have a new OEM cylinder for 310 bucks, but then I saw that they also have sleeve kits. What is all involved in a sleeve kit, is it the same as getting the dealer to replate your cylinder? Sorry, I am new to this. Anyway, my cylinder is worn, no way around that, what do you think is my best financial and quality option?
I'd rather be riding...

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: New cylinder, or new sleeve?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
With a sleeve kit your cylinder will be bored to an interference fit and then a steel liner pressed in.Any attempt to do so will incur the well intended wrath of more then a few members of this site.Get the cylinder replated. ;D

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 07:52:05 PM »
With a sleeve kit your cylinder will be bored to an interference fit and then a steel liner pressed in.Any attempt to do so will incur the well intended wrath of more then a few members of this site.Get the cylinder replated. ;D

Who you talking about. ;D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 12:18:02 AM »

Who you talking about. ;D

I would be on the list as well.

Offline snowboarderro

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 11:56:20 AM »
i had a crack in mine, so i put a sleve on  it

and now i bought a new one, so i have a back up now (the one with sleve)

i say plate it .

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 08:59:42 AM »
Did you measure the cylinder, is the cylinder scorred-scraped up. If your sure it needs replating, Millennium Technologies is easily the best, 174.95 - 209.95 for 125cc and under. Do the survey online and save 10%, it says for your next shipment, they gave me 10 or 20% off can,t remember. They have a chic with a very sexy voice working the tech line, Erika I think her name was. Super hot talking to a chic that knows everything about engines ;D.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 09:35:19 PM »
Ok, so, if I were to buy a brand new cylinder from Honda, would it come ready to go? Like I wouldn't have to plate it? And Also, I have come to another problem, I was taking out my linkage bearings and swingarm bearings, and the old bearings are all rusted and completely seized in, any suggestions as to how I can get these old bearings out?
I'd rather be riding...

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 08:15:53 AM »
Removing the old linkage bearings is often a horrible job and sometimes there is no easy way to get them out.What I have had to do in the past is take a small flat blade screw driver,grind it to a knife point, and carefully work it behind the needle bearing sheet metal shell and tap the offending part out.As the bearing shell is often at least as hard as the screw driver blade you may have to sharpen the blade a few times.You run the risk of scraping the linkage body but sometimes it is the only way.

You might be lucky and try soaking the linkage for a few days in penetrating oil and then take a specially machined drift (the O.D. a sliding fit into the needlebearing boss) and try to tap it out. :)

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 10:03:10 AM »
I've had to grind out old needle bearings before when they were stuck so bad.  However, if you know how to weld, I was told a better trick is to weld a nut into the middle of the needle bearing then tighten a bolt through to push it out while the piece is in place.
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline snowboarderro

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 01:22:36 PM »
for the bearings i always improvise a press device

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 02:40:33 PM »
Thanks a bunch guys, so I have my linkage soaking in some wd-40, and hope to get the bearings out tomorrow.

Now I have run into another problem, how do you take the studs and exhaust valve off the cylinder? I am sending the cylinder off to Millennium technologies, and I want the cylinder repair to cost as little as possible, I have gotten most of the parts off, but the shaft is a bit of a mystery to me, does anyone have a model specific video for me?
I'd rather be riding...