Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Best 2 Stroke Chassis Available?  (Read 3917 times)

Offline Bioflex

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Best 2 Stroke Chassis Available?
« on: December 03, 2010, 05:23:25 PM »
Nice to be on this board with fellow 2 stroke enthusiasts.

I have been considering for some time making my own CR500AF killer, it's a shame people bother with the CRF's at all given Honda gave up on 2 strokes so long ago. There is clearly more deserving chassis out there!

The plan would be to utilise one of the newest Zabel 750cc 2 stroke singles (these are like a better developed version of the Maico 685) which are commonly used in side car cross bikes, but I figured it would be best to seek info as to what chassis are the best around.

I know handling can be defined in many ways, obviously with a HP monster such as this something with a bit more rake would be ideal, so high speed stability with modern ergos would be the key.

Keeping the whole thing European would be nice is possible so TM and Gas Gas are high up on the list. If anyone has any input as to how these handle and feel compared to the new Japanese bikes it would be appreciated.

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
Re: Best 2 Stroke Chassis Available?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 06:03:16 PM »
Welcome to the site!
That sounds like a great project though!
Personally I do not have any experience with Euro bikes, but there are some great people here that will have plenty of answers for you.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 04:59:16 AM »
I don't really have an tech advice to offer here, but like Charles said, welcome to the site and good luck with this project! Keep us posted and take plenty of pics for the site when you start building.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 05:19:55 AM »
Either would likely be just fine.I think I'd take some measurements to decide which would take the least mods and go with that.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline JM82

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 05:49:58 AM »
Here is a MTH 660 sidecarcross engine fitted in a KTM fourstroke frame.

http://www.nettimoto.com/ktm/sxs/1036116

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 08:34:04 PM »
Welcome Bioflex.
The TM chassis would suit well for what your after.
Probably the Chrome Moly frames up to 2007. The Ally frame would probably be too restrictive.
Not sure on the GG frame but i hear they are pretty stable bikes. Sachs on here knows abit about them.

Definatly dont want a head shaking KTM with that sort of power  :o
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 09:30:22 PM »
You might be able to get a new chromoly frame from Maico Int'l if you're willing to wait (and mortgage the house (JK)).  Considering that they're putting engines in them with 80 horsepower and up, I would imagine they would be more specialized for dealing with big numbers like that.  Although of course, being a new frame, it could be tough to figure out how it works and behaves in the real world, considering that practically no one has tested one out yet to speak about handling, ergonomics, etc (assuming that the frame really is all-new as they're saying).

Although at that point, you'd end up with an updated Maico engine in an updated Maico frame, that might feel a little too much like "building myself a bloody 2011 Maico."  But hey, the logo's in my signature, I gotta point it out.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 09:41:31 PM »
 I haven't ridden the very latest Gas Gas bikes but I don't think they have changed a great deal. The Gas Gas has traditionally been a fairly compact bike ergonomically and given the perimeter frame construction of a Gasser I don't think a Zabel engine would fit.As well, I also don't think the Gas Gas frame would withstand the vibration or torque characteristics of that big twostroke single.

If I were to embark on such a project I would probably go with a 610 Husqvarna (the right hand drive model).It's a quality,stable,neutral handling chassis and with the final drive already on the right the swap wouldn't be a nightmare.As well it would be easy to sell the engine and other parts to keep costs down.I can only only imagine what the torque output of 750cc twostroke single designed to haul a sidecar and two people must be and I suspect the big Husky would be one of the few bikes that could handle such a brute.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 10:13:40 PM by SachsGS »

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 05:44:31 AM »
Dang, that big of a motor would be incredible, expecially racing against something in an open class somewhere. Who could ride something that big anyway?!

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 09:21:46 AM »
The curious thing is that interest in the big bore two stroke singles seems to be increasing,from big bore Maicos and CR/KX500 AFs to these Zabel/MTH creations.I own a Maico 500 and it has been an excellent investment ,tough and a huge amount of fun to own and ride.When the time is right I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. ;D

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 09:46:20 AM »
I actually like the frames on the CRs and KXs for a 500, but for that beast, I would think that aluminum would possibly split and crack with the vibration and stress. If anyone could do it though, Service Honda could.

Offline Bioflex

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 03:03:55 AM »
Cheers for the info guys.
The TM frame is something I'd like to work with, they have a good reputation and the previous generation may make fitment a bit easier.

The big bore 4 stroke isn't a bad idea either, there would be a lot of room there as well and they are obviously made to handle a lot of torque. I'd probably prefer a Husaberg to a Husky though as they are just a bit more exotic. I suppose it may depend on what became available with a dead engine.

Buying a 2011 Maico is a consideration, does take all the fun out of it by buying something already made though.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 08:59:54 AM »
Hey Bioflex I compared the Maico 500 to the TM250 I have in my shop and there's no way the Maico engine will in the TM chassis (too tall and wide).I'd go with the Husaberg, I don't think you'll have any problems finding one blown up.