Two Stroke Motocross Forum > Non-Moto

Engine oil: Mineral, semi-synthetic and synthetic

(1/6) > >>

Stusmoke:
Another dread thread. But heres the thing: Synthetic oil here in Aus, and even semi synthetic for that matter, is quite literally TWICE the price of mineral. I've been running mineral oil in my KTM for a good 25 hours of hard riding now, and its shown absolutely zero signs of aggrivation. And this is with the uber paranoid me, that pulled the jug off every 5 hours for the first 20 hours to inspect things. Don't trust the dealer, plus its a two stroke so you know, why the hell not?

But my question is: What are the facts? What are the REAL differences here? Last oil thread that appeared I remember someone mentioned they ran peanut oil through their transmission in the ultra high rpm go-karts. If carbon build up and smoke are the worst worries, they can cram their double-dollar synthetic stuff.

beaner:
Few would dispute that synthetic oil is better, but when mixed appropriately, non synthetic oils are fine.

Can you not get Amsoil at a decent price as a dealer or preferred customer? Even in Canada where syn. oil is crazy expensive, we can get Amsoil for a good price direct.

Stusmoke:
Well its about $83 for a 4 litre jug of Torco goo. Not any cheaper for Castrol either. Motul is about the same aswell. Just looked at some amsoil and it came in at $93 for 3.7 litres. Thats ****ed. Royally. I could mix and jet for 20:1 and still save money with mineral. So in all seriousness: What kind of losses am I looking at? Wear? Performance? Ego?

TMKIWI:
Buy the good stuff stu.
I buy my Bel Ray H1R oil direct from the wholesaler at $21 Litre for all 4 bikes and realistically it is not a huge investment overhaul in the running costs of a bike. I haven't even looked at any of my spark plugs in a year. I will change out the plugs once a year for peice of mind.
Obviously my bikes are jetted correctly but I would rather pay more for oil then pay for bottom ends.

beaner:

--- Quote from: Stusmoke on January 30, 2014, 01:24:24 PM ---. Just looked at some amsoil and it came in at $93 for 3.7 litres. Thats ****ed. Royally. I could mix and jet for 20:1 and still save money with mineral. So in all seriousness: What kind of losses am I looking at? Wear? Performance? Ego?

--- End quote ---

That's what I paid for a case of 12, 1 liter bottles of Dominator

Buy a decent brand name mineral oil and mix at 32-1. You'll be fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version